Save game location and editing

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

shwaynorris
Initiate

Re: Save game location and editing

Post by shwaynorris » September 26th, 2018, 3:55 pm

rumpelstilskin wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 3:23 pm
it's command line (not gui), you'll have to run it with arguments
here's the source http://www.mtcelestia.org/bt4respec_src.7z
idk what this means, do I have to run it through CMD somehow?

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » September 26th, 2018, 4:01 pm

shwaynorris wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 3:55 pm
rumpelstilskin wrote:
idk what this means, do I have to run it through CMD somehow?
Correct. You go into CMD and run the executable: http://www.mtcelestia.org/bt4respec.exe (the link above is the source code to build the executable).

Hieronymous Alloy
Acolyte

Post by Hieronymous Alloy » September 26th, 2018, 5:33 pm

rumpelstilskin wrote:
Ahah! I haven't had to dust off that set of skills in a long time -- should have expected this to go retro on me!

It seems to work well. I had to add 1 point to Melody, 1 to Dalgleish, 2 to Crux, and 1 to Fiona to to get them to balance out.

There was a minor issue where it only checks the first save file directory -- if you have multiple running saves, i.e., you've restarted a couple times, asterisk won't work and you have to use the specific filename.

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » September 27th, 2018, 6:10 am

yeah good point about the slots; i fixed that

murdawg
Initiate

Post by murdawg » September 28th, 2018, 7:45 am

when i use cmd to run it, it opens for a split second but closes immediately. am i doing something run?
windows 7 x64

epitaxial
Initiate

Post by epitaxial » September 30th, 2018, 4:31 pm

murdawg wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 7:45 am
when i use cmd to run it, it opens for a split second but closes immediately. am i doing something run?
windows 7 x64
Try opening up a command prompt window, go to the folder where the file is located, and then typing in the file name and see if an error message appears.

Hieronymous Alloy
Acolyte

Post by Hieronymous Alloy » October 1st, 2018, 4:54 am

murdawg wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 7:45 am
windows 7 x64
Probably but it's hard to say what exactly.

Bring up the command prompt (just type cmd) and you'll go to your user directory (for me it's C:\users\[username].

Move the bt4respec file to that directory then type bt4respec.exe in the command prompt. Does that fix your problem?

Erus
Initiate

Post by Erus » October 29th, 2018, 9:46 am

Hello

First, excuse me for my english, it's not my first language, nor my second :p

I'm glad to see you find an option to respec, sadly i never used cmd and i don't know what to do,

i telecharged the sourcecode and the exe, but what next?

If i run the executable, i obtain that : https://prnt.sc/lbvwtt

can someone make a tutorial step by step?

I want to reset skill of some companions, like Crux, fiona, to optimize them - i know i can use mercenary token but i like to play with the npcs the game give us-

Thank you

Chilkoot
Initiate

Post by Chilkoot » June 4th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Jamey wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 4:40 pm
rumpelstilskin wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 1:31 pm
ok i actually made a packer/unpacker tool: http://www.mtcelestia.org/bt4savpak.7z
if launched with a .sav file name as an argument, it'll unpack it, and save with .unp extension. for any other extension, it'll pack it, replacing extension with .sav. that'll overwrite the existing file, so it goes without saying, back up your files before trying it.
not sure how tolerant the unpacked version is to inserting/deleting stuff (patching should be fine). character stats seem to be stored in almost text format, so figuring them out should be fairly easy.
Thanks.

I made a simple change to start with. One of my Mercenary characters is Baedish and did not receive her bonus skill points at levels 3 and 10. I want to rectify that.

I tried unpacking the file and found it saved in a mixed text and binary format, so I'm editing using a hex editor (HxD). Comparing that character (whom I left with an unused skill point) with another, I found that there are two values which are notably different:
EarnedSkillPoints
AvailableSkillPoints

Each is stored as an IntProperty. There is a trailing two bytes after the IntProperty appear to always be 0x00 0x04. Then there are eight null bytes. Then the Int value is stored in binary.

Since my characters are level 15, the non-Baedish characters should (and do) have 0x11 as their EarnedSkillPoints. Melody should (and does) have 0x13 as her EarnedSkillPoints.

My Baedish non-Melody characters have 0x11. I changed that to be 0x13.

Similarly, I changed the value for AvailableSkillPoints form 0x01 to 0x03, which should reflect 3 skill points to available to spend.

This worked, but only after I realized that I needed to use the 10 minute old save rather than the one from when I exited the game.

This appears to have worked to allow me to get the correct skill points on my Baedish characters, which fixes my biggest problem (not enough skill points for an Archmage build or to buy Cleric skills). :)

-----

Personally, I'd be hesitant to make more substantive changes to the save file without better understanding the file format. It appears to be a hybrid text and binary, so I suspect it is coming out of some standard serialized that I'm not familiar with. Good luck to others who are trying to make tweaks to their saves.
Wanted to thank you for posting your findings. My Baedish mercs were always behind the curve due to the skill point bug, but I've just set them to the correct values using a hex editor and your very clear guidance. As you get deeper into the trees those 3 points make a *huge* difference.

dduttonnc
Initiate

Post by dduttonnc » July 9th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Jamey wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 4:40 pm
rumpelstilskin wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 1:31 pm
ok i actually made a packer/unpacker tool: http://www.mtcelestia.org/bt4savpak.7z
if launched with a .sav file name as an argument, it'll unpack it, and save with .unp extension. for any other extension, it'll pack it, replacing extension with .sav. that'll overwrite the existing file, so it goes without saying, back up your files before trying it.
not sure how tolerant the unpacked version is to inserting/deleting stuff (patching should be fine). character stats seem to be stored in almost text format, so figuring them out should be fairly easy.
Thanks.

I made a simple change to start with. One of my Mercenary characters is Baedish and did not receive her bonus skill points at levels 3 and 10. I want to rectify that.

I tried unpacking the file and found it saved in a mixed text and binary format, so I'm editing using a hex editor (HxD). Comparing that character (whom I left with an unused skill point) with another, I found that there are two values which are notably different:
EarnedSkillPoints
AvailableSkillPoints

Each is stored as an IntProperty. There is a trailing two bytes after the IntProperty appear to always be 0x00 0x04. Then there are eight null bytes. Then the Int value is stored in binary.

Since my characters are level 15, the non-Baedish characters should (and do) have 0x11 as their EarnedSkillPoints. Melody should (and does) have 0x13 as her EarnedSkillPoints.

My Baedish non-Melody characters have 0x11. I changed that to be 0x13.

Similarly, I changed the value for AvailableSkillPoints form 0x01 to 0x03, which should reflect 3 skill points to available to spend.

This worked, but only after I realized that I needed to use the 10 minute old save rather than the one from when I exited the game.

This appears to have worked to allow me to get the correct skill points on my Baedish characters, which fixes my biggest problem (not enough skill points for an Archmage build or to buy Cleric skills). :)

-----

Personally, I'd be hesitant to make more substantive changes to the save file without better understanding the file format. It appears to be a hybrid text and binary, so I suspect it is coming out of some standard serialized that I'm not familiar with. Good luck to others who are trying to make tweaks to their saves.
I'm trying to edit strength and intelligence, but I can't find these stats in the hex editor. Any help?

bradrintn
Initiate

Post by bradrintn » September 2nd, 2019, 8:14 pm

moved to avoid mutiple post in row
Last edited by bradrintn on September 3rd, 2019, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bradrintn
Initiate

Post by bradrintn » September 3rd, 2019, 1:24 am

moved
Last edited by bradrintn on September 3rd, 2019, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bradrintn
Initiate

Post by bradrintn » September 3rd, 2019, 11:13 am

could you please update the respec tool for bt4directors cut?? the unpacker lookes for C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\BardsTale4\Saved\SaveGames\SaveGame0 but the directors cut is " with the DC added to end.. local\bardstale4dc\saved....." now i can type in the path under "file name" or put it in the ".../ / / /savegame0"folderor whichever folder has the savegame im editing BT_etc and it will unpack the filke buit it fails to find the character name ive tried several it will never find the character name or it fils to repack itself cause its trying for /bardstale4/ without the DC ending can you please make the minor tweaks and update it..?

also since i got an unpacker packer to work by typing out full paths etc can you tell me what to do with XX XX being the 9th and 10th pairs after aval skill points int.......00 04 then i count 8 null .. and then 9th and 10th pair... to add 1 skill point should it be 00 04 then 8 bytes null then.. 01 00 ?or 00 01 actually ive tried 01 to the 9th byte and it doesnt work the directors cut must have another place it checks...

the only thing i could do was to inccrease *earned skill points* so it would calculte the difference tween how many learned skills and see more earned than.. learned.. skills and give me the diff in skill points to spend.. even with that i couldnt alter the avalible skill point number... i tried just deleteing the skills as youd mentioned doing...all but the base 3...that starting bards get... and tried deleting all of them.....

both failed...what exactly in the skills list do i delete and what do i keephow many Null bytes should i leave between skills str property... and crafting recipe..IF im supposed to delete all the skills how many null bytes between skills property..and recipes? or should i delete the skills str property part too???
for the mastery table i didnt see any 1s and 0s just more hex code. so what do i delete there...

i get the idea if i get rid of all skills then the diff tween earned and learned will effectively respect giving me all the earned skillpoints back which is why i figured i was supposed to not delete the 3 skills bards all get.. basic music basic defense .. and basic offense i just didnt know where to make cut offs io mean where do i mark out the section to delete.. specific start and end points ..

which set before "skills learned"or after?? and where at the end of that string...??

if i leave the basic 3 skills since those are given not bought... im guessing earned wont count them....
and for practitioners who start with 6 skills pre any skill spends.. im guessing id want to leave those 6 skills or increased earned skill points by 3???
ive tried increasing aval skills under diff conditions and it never works

so how do i manaull with Hxd once ive used an unpak and repak tool the one in this thread bt4paksav or whatever does still work... so how do i use that and hxd to respec/reset?? what varibles parts of .unp do i change and what values ....do i change too etc...?