Save game location and editing

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Lanatir
Explorer

Save game location and editing

Post by Lanatir » September 22nd, 2018, 4:08 am

So, since INXILE decided they would remove the option to respec totally and blame the backers for it, how about you tell us where you are hiding the savegames and how to open and edit them, so we can fix our characters yourself instead of waiting however many months you think is appropriate to understand that respec is utterly necessary in a skill system like yours, especially you crippled the cleric class for everyone that does the quest late in the game, making it unattainable with the 2 or 3 skillpoints left that you have when you actually GET the class?

syntaxhorror
Novice

Re: Save game location and editing

Post by syntaxhorror » September 22nd, 2018, 5:27 am

Save games are stored in $user/appdata/local/bardstaleiv (or something like this, I'm not near my machine at the moment)

Fun project if you like hex editing :)

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » September 22nd, 2018, 5:30 am

syntaxhorror wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 5:27 am
Save games are stored in $user/appdata/local/bardstaleiv (or something like this, I'm not near my machine at the moment)

Fun project if you like hex editing :)
looks packed and encrypted. thats beyond my hexediting skills

Telstar
Initiate

Post by Telstar » September 22nd, 2018, 5:57 am

Hopefully someone will make a save editor. With the crappy old school totem save system it's the only hope.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 22nd, 2018, 7:19 am

I'm on Windows 10 and found the save files here:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\BardsTale4\Saved\SaveGames\SaveGame1

You can easily find AppData by typing "%AppData%" (without the quotes) in the pah field in Windows Explorer.

Per rumpelstilskin, who edited his save:
rumpelstilskin wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 4:54 am
it's a custom file format. they split it into 128k chunks and compress every chunk with zlib (it's a c++ library, which uses zip compression i think). maybe i'll make a full standalone packer/unpacker app. but my problem with paranoia poison is resolved - it's just used as a trinket now. before it was a separate ability that you could only activate if you had the poison in your trinket slot, but the way it's now of course makes more sense.
If it is using zlib, the files would be compressed with the DEFLATE algorithm, which is readily available on pretty much all programming platforms. The 128k chunk thing makes sense if they are pulling data from the files previews in the load screen, but it makes it much harder to do user editing of the save files as you can't just change the file extension and treat it as a zip file.

I decided to put BT4 on hold until I can respec or save edit. If I get bored this weekend, I may see if I can whip up a packer/unpacker program for the save file. We'll see. :)

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » September 22nd, 2018, 1:31 pm

ok i actually made a packer/unpacker tool: http://www.mtcelestia.org/bt4savpak.7z
if launched with a .sav file name as an argument, it'll unpack it, and save with .unp extension. for any other extension, it'll pack it, replacing extension with .sav. that'll overwrite the existing file, so it goes without saying, back up your files before trying it.
not sure how tolerant the unpacked version is to inserting/deleting stuff (patching should be fine). character stats seem to be stored in almost text format, so figuring them out should be fairly easy.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 22nd, 2018, 4:40 pm

rumpelstilskin wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 1:31 pm
ok i actually made a packer/unpacker tool: http://www.mtcelestia.org/bt4savpak.7z
if launched with a .sav file name as an argument, it'll unpack it, and save with .unp extension. for any other extension, it'll pack it, replacing extension with .sav. that'll overwrite the existing file, so it goes without saying, back up your files before trying it.
not sure how tolerant the unpacked version is to inserting/deleting stuff (patching should be fine). character stats seem to be stored in almost text format, so figuring them out should be fairly easy.
Thanks.

I made a simple change to start with. One of my Mercenary characters is Baedish and did not receive her bonus skill points at levels 3 and 10. I want to rectify that.

I tried unpacking the file and found it saved in a mixed text and binary format, so I'm editing using a hex editor (HxD). Comparing that character (whom I left with an unused skill point) with another, I found that there are two values which are notably different:
EarnedSkillPoints
AvailableSkillPoints

Each is stored as an IntProperty. There is a trailing two bytes after the IntProperty appear to always be 0x00 0x04. Then there are eight null bytes. Then the Int value is stored in binary.

Since my characters are level 15, the non-Baedish characters should (and do) have 0x11 as their EarnedSkillPoints. Melody should (and does) have 0x13 as her EarnedSkillPoints.

My Baedish non-Melody characters have 0x11. I changed that to be 0x13.

Similarly, I changed the value for AvailableSkillPoints form 0x01 to 0x03, which should reflect 3 skill points to available to spend.

This worked, but only after I realized that I needed to use the 10 minute old save rather than the one from when I exited the game.

This appears to have worked to allow me to get the correct skill points on my Baedish characters, which fixes my biggest problem (not enough skill points for an Archmage build or to buy Cleric skills). :)

-----

Personally, I'd be hesitant to make more substantive changes to the save file without better understanding the file format. It appears to be a hybrid text and binary, so I suspect it is coming out of some standard serialized that I'm not familiar with. Good luck to others who are trying to make tweaks to their saves.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » September 22nd, 2018, 10:19 pm

If you set your xp to 0 the game automatically sets your level to 1.

syntaxhorror
Novice

Post by syntaxhorror » September 23rd, 2018, 5:18 am

Nice job on the packer/unpacker tool! Here's a strings dump of an unpacked saved game: https://pastebin.com/Shz6LNMJ
Near the end you can see references to Rama Save, a UE4 serialization plugin: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplac ... ave-system

The documentation for Rama seems to be all in video form, bleh.

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » September 24th, 2018, 3:59 am

Lanatir wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 10:19 pm
If you set your xp to 0 the game automatically sets your level to 1.
do you mean that you set xp 0 in the save, load it, and the game resets all your skills? but that means we have a respec option right here, one just needs to re-save and add earned/available skillpoints.

Rama save seems to be for blueprints only. maybe they used it for their blueprints, but i don't think their core RPG stuff is implemented in BP. at least i hope so, since it would be super-amateurish.

Shismar
Initiate

Post by Shismar » September 24th, 2018, 4:32 am

Ohhhhh! I have to try and change the personality of my bard. He get's on my nerves with his boasting and picking fights.
Also a bunch of wasted skill points sprinkled around the team. No big issue but since I can't respec ...

Hieronymous Alloy
Acolyte

Post by Hieronymous Alloy » September 24th, 2018, 10:47 am

Is there any way to just reset a character's skill selections to zero? Perhaps by resetting exp to 1 then back again to current level?

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » September 26th, 2018, 4:36 am

ok i tried deleting portions from the save file, and it worked fine. so i was able to just delete all skills, and didn't even have to bother tinkering with the skill points, since the game automatically calculated the difference between earned skill points and used skills. masteries are stored as a table with floating 1.0 values, so i was able to reset them by simply changing 1.0s to 0.0s, and it looked fine. not sure if there might be complications with things like mutually exclusive skills/masteries, but so far it looks like respec it clearly achievable.

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » September 26th, 2018, 10:24 am

..aand i think i got the first version of the respecc'er ready. for now it only leaves the first 3 skills stored in the list, and for some characters those might not include all skills received automatically at creation (but they can be added manually for consistency). also, recepies received from skills are not reset (since it's pretty laborious to separate them from those learned from scrolls).

Hieronymous Alloy
Acolyte

Post by Hieronymous Alloy » September 26th, 2018, 11:10 am

rumpelstilskin wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 10:24 am
..aand i think i got the first version of the respecc'er ready. for now it only leaves the first 3 skills stored in the list, and for some characters those might not include all skills received automatically at creation (but they can be added manually for consistency). also, recepies received from skills are not reset (since it's pretty laborious to separate them from those learned from scrolls).
The hero we needed, thanks.

My main playthrough basically stopped dead when I got clerics and realized I'd either need to repec or start over if I wanted an efficient build (and not helped by dorn and Fiona being unusable).

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » September 26th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Hieronymous Alloy wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 11:10 am
rumpelstilskin wrote:
The hero we needed, thanks.

My main playthrough basically stopped dead when I got clerics and realized I'd either need to repec or start over if I wanted an efficient build (and not helped by dorn and Fiona being unusable).
well tbh i didn't make it so far yet, so i haven't tested it with the cleric line, but judging by how simple the format is, there's a good chance it'll work anyway, and even if it doesn't it should be easy to fix

Hieronymous Alloy
Acolyte

Post by Hieronymous Alloy » September 26th, 2018, 12:40 pm

heh, I'll back up my save folder and try it out this evening and report back.

The main thing is I just want to be able to make build choices for the named companions myself instead of having the game pick 3/4ths of their tree for me. Let me make Dorn a vanguard paladin or build that floaty demon buddy as an archmage instead of with a useless dagger spec.

Does it handle Melody's extra Baedish points ok? One thing I noticed with Melody is that the game auto-picks a +! str and +1 con for you even if you don't want them.

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » September 26th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Hieronymous Alloy wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 12:40 pm
Does it handle Melody's extra Baedish points ok? One thing I noticed with Melody is that the game auto-picks a +! str and +1 con for you even if you don't want them.
it just removes the skills, it's up to the game to restore the points. so if you didn't spend those points, they won't be added automatically. but there's an option to add an arbitrary amount of points on top.

Hieronymous Alloy
Acolyte

Post by Hieronymous Alloy » September 26th, 2018, 3:13 pm

rumpelstilskin wrote:
Hrm, I can't get this to run (windows 10). Do I need to unzip it somewhere or ?

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » September 26th, 2018, 3:23 pm

it's command line (not gui), you'll have to run it with arguments
here's the source http://www.mtcelestia.org/bt4respec_src.7z