Any ETA for the Linux version of BT IV?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

demeisen
Explorer

Re: Any ETA for the Linux version of BT IV?

Post by demeisen » November 15th, 2018, 8:08 am

cparker94 wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 5:11 am
So now with the news of inXile being bought out, does that mean those waiting on a Mac version of the game are SOL?
I'm only speculating, but I doubt it. I would expect plans for Mac and Linux BT4 to be unaffected by the acquisition. It was committed to as part of the kickstarter, and I doubt they'd reverse course on that, even if the releases have been delayed.

For future games not yet under development, it may be a grimmer picture.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » November 15th, 2018, 8:10 am

inXile said, that crowdfunding commitments aren't affected, so Linux and macOS versions should be on track. It's their future games that are at risk here.

Wrock
Novice

Post by Wrock » November 17th, 2018, 12:20 pm

demeisen wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 8:08 am

I'm only speculating, but I doubt it. I would expect plans for Mac and Linux BT4 to be unaffected by the acquisition. It was committed to as part of the kickstarter, and I doubt they'd reverse course on that, even if the releases have been delayed.

For future games not yet under development, it may be a grimmer picture.
In the way-back days, there was a little Mac development house that made some pretty kick-butt games. One day they got bought out by Microsoft, who announced that their next game would be X-Box exclusive. It had been long promised that it would be on Mac/PC too, in fact good old Steve Jobs himself introduced the game. After the aquisition though, nothing additional was heard. It took a big community uproar to get a Mac/PC release TWO YEARS later. I think there are enough old-school gamers around to know which title, and studio I'm referring to.

As a Mac user myself, I was sitting on GoG on release day ready to download BT4, only to find PC only (I wasn't following the forums that closely, so I had no clue that there was a delay). Now with this new aquisition, I fully expect all project focuses to change. That's what happens when companies get bought. Continue on for a while, until new management institutes their reorganization and cost cutting measures. Mac and Linux are not profit leaders.