A little love for the team

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Strigoi
Initiate

A little love for the team

Post by Strigoi » September 19th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Heya,

Another oldskool BT fan here, from the times of yore. I backed this up as soon as I heard of it, and I have been playing it for a few hours, now.

I do understand those who consider that this is not in the BT tradition. I, in the other hand, believe that this is a great departure from the original formula, with a lot of heart and consideration put into it, even in things some would consider 'wrong'.

Also, the music and sound effects are top-notch, and really heightened my enjoyment of the game. I cannot praise them enough.

My only real gripe so far is the performance, which is pretty bad on my rig, which plays all modern titles without breaking a sweat. The code still needs a good spanking to make it more amenable. Also, the motion blur is quite extreme, making the effect an immersion-breaker.

Keep trucking, guys. I'll pause my game sessions and wait for those patches announced earlier today, hoping they will tame the performance a bit.

sear
Developer

Re: A little love for the team

Post by sear » September 19th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the kind words! Game launches are always a bit crazy, and it can take some time for the dust to settle. We're certainly aware some people have had some issues with things like performance or getting all their backer rewards, and we're working as hard and fast as we can to resolve as many of those issues as possible.

I've seen plenty of extremely positive comments - a lot of people who have played are absolutely in love with the game, and I'm certainly proud to have contributed to a game that so many people are enjoying so much.

unholydog
Initiate

Post by unholydog » September 19th, 2018, 12:46 pm

I too support your words, I am new th the Bards Trilogy I will confess but I have been playing it for a good few hours now and it has well exceeded my expectations. From the gameplay, the amazing visuals, top notch voice acting and amazing music which fits the game perfectly.

I moved the installation to an SSD and have never looked back, it runs without fault now and if you are able to I would highly recommend that. I look forward to the patches and see how the game grows with them.

Applicator
Initiate

Post by Applicator » September 19th, 2018, 3:01 pm

I don't understand people that don't want evolution.

Did people complain that Baldur's Gate wasn't Pool of Radiance?

Did people complain in Doom or Wolfenstein because you can now aim vertically?

I played a few hours last night and the combat was certainly an improvement. The quests and story were clearer. The exploration and character skills are better. I also had no issues running it like others (but my PC is pretty good).

Great job so far, can't wait to get home from work and play some more.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 19th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Applicator wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 3:01 pm
Who doesn't want evolution?

A number of people who have issues with this Barrows Deep game have issues with it because it is not evolution but a completely different game with essentially no ties to the series that it is allegedly part of.
cmibl<enter>

Corpselocker
Initiate

Post by Corpselocker » September 19th, 2018, 4:57 pm

After you have a four person party, the combat becomes more interesting. The music is stellar. I am grinding through it, but it isn't quite the party building game I thought I was backing. Still, I am not angry.

Strigoi
Initiate

Post by Strigoi » September 19th, 2018, 5:37 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 4:25 pm
Applicator wrote:

A number of people who have issues with this Barrows Deep game have issues with it because it is not evolution but a completely different game with essentially no ties to the series that it is allegedly part of.
I wouldn't say it doesn't have any ties to its predecessors. A lot of the flavor and themes are there. Soon, there will be a Legacy mode, for the squarely-inclined. I think it is a worthy departure, and while it does have some issues, it's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd rather have a game like this, which took risks to move the series forward, than having a comfort-zone adaptation that doesn't add anything to its legacy, such as Might and Magic X.

Applicator
Initiate

Post by Applicator » September 19th, 2018, 5:50 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
Applicator wrote:

You'll be hard pressed to build a valid argument that it has no ties to the predecessors. The setting and story are clearly linked. The combat, inventory and movement etc are all clearly an evolution and a step in the right direction. Wanting more of the same 80s games would be a terrible idea.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 19th, 2018, 6:40 pm

The issue is that's more like a multiple-generation leap in evolution of the series (and was described as such by TPTB), without having playtested previous iteration from then to now. That's the contention. It's not a direct sequel, but effectively a proposed, assumed future-sequel given everything else prior to it (with all the smaller evolutionary changes that now exist) was successful.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Loswaith
Novice

Post by Loswaith » September 20th, 2018, 12:29 am

Kudos to the team, so far they put a chunk of effort into making the game, and the CS team has been great trying to deal with all the issues and spot fires people have been having.

I wouldn't expect that having more 80s style games would be that terrible, as the remastered trilogy has been received quite well even by new players that never played the originals. Barrows Deep just seems a more modern style rather than a true iteration of the series (the iteration is what many expected).

Centaur
Acolyte

Post by Centaur » September 20th, 2018, 12:48 am

thebruce wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 6:40 pm
The issue is that's more like a multiple-generation leap in evolution of the series (and was described as such by TPTB), without having playtested previous iteration from then to now. That's the contention. It's not a direct sequel, but effectively a proposed, assumed future-sequel given everything else prior to it (with all the smaller evolutionary changes that now exist) was successful.
It feels like a future version of the Rolling Stones, without Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts.
That version may be, in its own right, a great band, making great music suitable for that time period, but it would feel wrong to still call them the Rolling Stones.
And I feel the same here... on its own, this could be a great game. But it's called "The Bard's Tale" (IV), which creates certain expectations.
And those expectations are simply not met.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 20th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Applicator wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 5:50 pm
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
Applicator wrote:

You'll be hard pressed to build a valid argument that it has no ties to the predecessors. The setting and story are clearly linked. The combat, inventory and movement etc are all clearly an evolution and a step in the right direction. Wanting more of the same 80s games would be a terrible idea.
No one said that there were no ties. There are, however, very few ties. The setting is barely linked, except by a couple of names. The story is largely retconned, breaking with existing lore in a number of cases. Combat is unrecognizable as an evolution.

Again, no one is expressing a desire for "the same 80s games". That is a strawman.
cmibl<enter>

rmcoen
Acolyte

Post by rmcoen » September 20th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I replayed BT1, enjoyed it. Aside from two CTDs today and poor performance, I'm enjoying BT4. *I* feel it's a continuation of the story - people are singing about the exploits of my previous heroes, which is cool. I appreciate an automap, in remastered BT1, and here. I'm not a fan of inventory-tetris, but seems like there's plenty of space, and a sort feature coming. I too backed the game as soon as I heard about it, and I'm happy to be playing it now.

Jalis
Acolyte

Post by Jalis » September 20th, 2018, 7:17 pm

The story thus far seems fine, and seems to have plenty of fan service for players of the originals. I can appreciate what they seem to be doing on that front.

Combat is fun, and for another title, such as "Darkest Hearthstone Dungeon Tactics", would be completely 100% acceptable. For a Bard's Tale game, the odd limitations imposed are, for some to possibly many, bad design decisions tailored to make the game like some other game instead of BT. It's like they improved melee types over the originals by giving them more skills and options, but for casters, totally nerfed them.

I think the same is true of the forced party system. I get the story reasons to push someone into my party that I don't want (looking at you, Crux, you might be cool/funny, but I wanted my own character in that spot, jerk!), but it's still not all that Bard's Tale-ish as far as what came before, and probably remains timeless -- we have not become somehow so advanced in game playing nature that somehow creating your own party full on should be invalidated, or spells limited, etc...

Movement, visuals, some story retcons after 25+ years of absence, etc, I think, personally, are minimal things that don't detract from a perfectly good RPG.