No printer - what about code wheel?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

ZanZan
Initiate

No printer - what about code wheel?

Post by ZanZan » September 19th, 2018, 4:39 am

So, I have this nice code wheel as a PDF, and while that is fine and dandy it does me absolutely no good since I have no printer and don't have access to one.

I haven't printed anything in 10+ years, as I prefer to keep everything electronically, and since we today have phones that let us have access to more or less everything on the fly as long as we have an active internet connection, this works wonderfully.

That is, until I'm required to print a pdf in order to assemble a code wheel in a game from 2018. What about an electronic version of it where you can twist and turn the various wheel bits to get the answer you're after? Could be made in html, flash or whatever technology you want, but don't make me try to find someone who have a printer so I can print a single page just in order for this to work.

Besides that, the game is great - there are quirks and bugs, but I recon you'll fix them.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: No printer - what about code wheel?

Post by thebruce » September 19th, 2018, 6:22 am

Digital codewheel was never in the rewards, it's always been referenced as a throwback to the original physical codewheel 'DRM' equivalent. At worst, you could hand draw it - it's what I sometimes used to do as a child if I wanted to copy something for myself. But maybe better, ask a friend who has access to a printer. Use a library. Lots of desperate ways to actually hold a very cool physical asset in your hands.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Akachi
Initiate

Post by Akachi » September 19th, 2018, 12:49 pm

I just cut it out in Paint3d (hey it's free) and stacked one another. A bit wonky, but more or less works ( yes, you can rotate the rings) :)

Moonie1
Initiate

Post by Moonie1 » September 19th, 2018, 1:17 pm

thebruce wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 6:22 am
Digital codewheel was never in the rewards, it's always been referenced as a throwback to the original physical codewheel 'DRM' equivalent. At worst, you could hand draw it - it's what I sometimes used to do as a child if I wanted to copy something for myself. But maybe better, ask a friend who has access to a printer. Use a library. Lots of desperate ways to actually hold a very cool physical asset in your hands.
Actually it was in the rewards. https://bardstale.com/images/BT4_Premium_1440.jpg Its right there... Digital Code Wheel. When you put the word "digital" in front of something, that does not imply that you will have to print it out and then assemble it by hand just like we had to 30 years ago. It should have read Code Wheel Kit or something like that. The word Digital from the Webster Dictionary is defined as: composed of data in the form of especially binary digits. They hustled us on that one.

Its only a matter of time until someone compiles a list of all of the possible combinations and puts it on the net, just like they did in the past with the Bards Tale games.

ZanZan
Initiate

Post by ZanZan » September 19th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Akachi wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 12:49 pm
I just cut it out in Paint3d (hey it's free) and stacked one another. A bit wonky, but more or less works ( yes, you can rotate the rings) :)
That is actually a brilliant idea - I'm gonna steal that and use it instead.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 19th, 2018, 1:29 pm

My bad. It is listed as 'digital codewheel'. However I think they used that term - confusingly - like they did digital graph paper. I thought the digital graph paper would be more than just a piece of a paper PDF with a grid on it. At least something branded with the BT logo... anyway... in the context of the other 'digital' rewards, I think they felt that it was referring to the method of delivery - we get the digital version to do with as we please. And perhaps they felt that the codewheel legacy, being a physical trinket, would be enough for people to expect that it would be a DIY wheel, not a fully functional localized application.

It would certainly be easy enough to create a web-based version though. But that defeats the purpose of the 'collectible' (if the printable version were not to exist).

Anyway, I got you now.
But, it's just a print. It shouldn't be hard to find a method of creating the wheel to gain the bonuses it'll provide in-game.

ETA. or yeah, make your own digitized version you can play with on your PC :)
@thebruce0

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » September 19th, 2018, 1:31 pm

When I get my physical Bards Tale IV Code Wheel I am more than happy to send someone the one I made today, you can check it out here:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=19397&p=200364#p200364
This poster receives no commercial consideration or work from Inxile, he truly believes Bards Tale IV: Barrows Deep to be a great game and one he enjoys on a daily basis

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 19th, 2018, 10:30 pm

thebruce wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:29 pm
My bad. It is listed as 'digital codewheel'. However I think they used that term - confusingly - like they did digital graph paper. I thought the digital graph paper would be more than just a piece of a paper PDF with a grid on it. At least something branded with the BT logo... anyway... in the context of the other 'digital' rewards, I think they felt that it was referring to the method of delivery - we get the digital version to do with as we please. And perhaps they felt that the codewheel legacy, being a physical trinket, would be enough for people to expect that it would be a DIY wheel, not a fully functional localized application.

It would certainly be easy enough to create a web-based version though. But that defeats the purpose of the 'collectible' (if the printable version were not to exist).

Anyway, I got you now.
But, it's just a print. It shouldn't be hard to find a method of creating the wheel to gain the bonuses it'll provide in-game.

ETA. or yeah, make your own digitized version you can play with on your PC :)

Someone made a web based version

https://gamejolt.com/games/btwheel/368934

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 20th, 2018, 5:49 am

Awesome, good to see
@thebruce0

ZanZan
Initiate

Post by ZanZan » September 20th, 2018, 5:57 am

I knew someone out there had the skills and free time for something like that.

Akachi
Initiate

Post by Akachi » September 20th, 2018, 7:08 am

Very nice, thanks for the link :)

Maybe some day I will print out mine, but for now this is fine.

SirJoe71
Initiate

Post by SirJoe71 » September 20th, 2018, 7:19 am

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=19439

other online code wheel