Worth playing...

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Cathmor1973
Initiate

Worth playing...

Post by Cathmor1973 » September 15th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Will this game be worth playing?

eisberg
Scholar

Re: Worth playing...

Post by eisberg » September 15th, 2018, 8:02 pm

I played the beta, and my answer is a resounding yet. It is a whole lot of fun.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 15th, 2018, 8:07 pm

That's the kind of question that starts flame wars. ;) A look through the forum threads reveals that the Barrows Deep game is a fairly controversial topic. I've personally played part of the demo release and part of the beta release and found it wanting on many fronts, faithfulness to the original series among them. Even those who don't care about faithfulness to the originals often have found reason to criticize how boring much of the skill trees are, the lack of certain RPG staple classes under any of the archtypes, the way the opportunity points system works, the lack of spell selection, the lack of random encounters, etc....

I'm sure that those few who are ardent supporters of the game will chime, telling you to get it, of course. Might want to look at some online play footage and decide for yourself.
cmibl<enter>

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 15th, 2018, 9:49 pm

After playing the beta, and petty criticisms aside, I am honestly looking forward to enjoying the full game. Will it be worth playing? For me, absolutely yes.

Nystrom
Acolyte

Post by Nystrom » September 15th, 2018, 10:23 pm

Cathmor1973 wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 6:41 pm
100%, but I am doubtful it will be as good as you anticipate.

calanthir
Initiate

Post by calanthir » September 16th, 2018, 2:19 am

Yes full yes!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 16th, 2018, 3:57 pm

I'm certainly looking forward to playing it, but not as excited about the "sequel" aspect as I wish I was.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » September 16th, 2018, 4:57 pm

I'm still disappointed that Monks were most likely silently removed even though they were announced in KS Update 11.
Nevertheless I will at least try to play it.

BTW: I hope the minimalistic manual that you can already download is not the final version. I was hoping for something with more detail and a list with all the skills/spells/abilities. Also page 20 shows some gibberish on the left side ...

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 16th, 2018, 5:55 pm

PsychicMonk wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 4:57 pm
I'm still disappointed that Monks were most likely silently removed even though they were announced in KS Update 11.

BTW: I hope the minimalistic manual that you can already download is not the final version. I was hoping for something with more detail and a list with all the skills/spells/abilities. Also page 20 shows some gibberish on the left side ...
You have the Steam version? I have the GoG version and cannot download anything yet, not even the manual.

Do you have the strategy guide available now? if so, open that up and see if they have all that information about skills/spells/abilities.
With that being said, in the game you get all the information you need through tool tips about all the skills/spells/abilities.

I also took a video of the skill tree from the beta, in which you can pause and read all the spells/skills/abilities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZaDeeSGt7A

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » September 16th, 2018, 6:13 pm

eisberg wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 5:55 pm
PsychicMonk wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 4:57 pm

You have the Steam version? I have the GoG version and cannot download anything yet, not even the manual.

Do you have the strategy guide available now? if so, open that up and see if they have all that information about skills/spells/abilities.
With that being said, in the game you get all the information you need through tool tips about all the skills/spells/abilities.

I also took a video of the skill tree from the beta, in which you can pause and read all the spells/skills/abilities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZaDeeSGt7A
Then I guess I will have to wait for the strategy guide to get a complete list with descriptions...

There is a link to the manual on the steam website of BT4: https://store.steampowered.com/app/5660 ... rows_Deep/

or

direct link to the manual : https://store.steampowered.com/manual/566090

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » September 17th, 2018, 2:43 am

Cathmor1973 wrote:
Worth playing? Trust me, Bards IV is all things to all men, women and herm. Seriously, BT4 is one of the best rpgs of the decade (so far) I thoroughly recommend you pick up a copy today. Also, tell all your friends and get them to tell their friends too, it's the only way we will keep classic dungeon delving alive.

Psychic Monk wrote: 'minimalistic manual'

Come on now, I too have seen the manual and compared it with previous BT manuals and it is entirely in keeping with the previous body of work and more importantly, the manual has many more portraits as well as related artwork. Still, don't believe me, let your own eyes take a peep or two:

Bards Tale, Tales of The Unknown: https://www.mocagh.org/ea/bt1aus-manual.pdf

Bards Tale IV: https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/a ... 1537130256
This poster receives no commercial consideration or work from Inxile, he truly believes Bards Tale IV: Barrows Deep to be a great game and one he enjoys on a daily basis

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » September 17th, 2018, 4:02 am

DNACowboy wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 2:43 am
Come on now, I too have seen the manual and compared it with previous BT manuals and it is entirely in keeping with the previous body of work and more importantly, the manual has many more portraits as well as related artwork. Still, don't believe me, let your own eyes take a peep or two:
The old games had at least all the spells in the manual. To me the large fonts and the "artwork" in the BT4 manual look more like fill material.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » September 17th, 2018, 11:15 am

DNACowboy wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 2:43 am
Cathmor1973 wrote:
Worth playing? Trust me, Bards IV is all things to all men, women and herm. Seriously, BT4 is one of the best rpgs of the decade (so far) I thoroughly recommend you pick up a copy today. Also, tell all your friends and get them to tell their friends too, it's the only way we will keep classic dungeon delving alive.

Psychic Monk wrote: 'minimalistic manual'

Bards Tale, Tales of The Unknown: https://www.mocagh.org/ea/bt1aus-manual.pdf

Bards Tale IV: https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/a ... 1537130256
Yes, the original BT1 manual was sparse and left a lot of things open for discovery--even the cluebook for BT1 was very skimpy on actual clues--and the clues it provided were more in the area of hints than of solutions and/or answers. I printed out the "magic" section (BT1 manual) dealing with the magic-wielding classes in the game, in detail--which listed the available spells and a brief description of what each one does--seems very nice in the remastered as all the abbreviations for spells work as in the originals, but I love what the remastered has done with categorizing several kinds of spells via a mouse click. Much, much superior to having to wade though long, disjointed spell lists to find what you're looking for...;) The cluebook, actually, was sort of poor in that along with the game hints it listed it did *not* list the requirements for the differing races being promoted in the different magic-wielding classes, etc.

I am looking forward to playing BTIV 9/18... :!:

Rizmel
Novice

Post by Rizmel » September 18th, 2018, 10:08 am

I would say if you already own it, it might be worth playing. If you are on the fence about buying it, I suggest you wait for a sale. if you are looking for a modern Bard's Tale game, get the remasters.

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » September 18th, 2018, 10:48 am

Rizmel wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 10:08 am
I would say if you already own it, it might be worth playing. If you are on the fence about buying it, I suggest you wait for a sale. if you are looking for a modern Bard's Tale game, get the remasters.
I completely disagree, 95% of the critic reviews rate this most recent, modern game highly. Bards Tale IV has all the elements of previous games as well as introducing elements we take for granted in the 21st century. I say go ahead and buy Bards Tale IV Barrows Down you will not regret your purchase and remember, the Google analytics engine has scrutinised every written word available on the web about the game and subsequently rated it as the number one 'Steam Game of 2018'.
This poster receives no commercial consideration or work from Inxile, he truly believes Bards Tale IV: Barrows Deep to be a great game and one he enjoys on a daily basis

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 18th, 2018, 11:06 am

Bards Tale IV has all the elements of previous games
Just on this point objectively, no commentary on anything else - definitely not.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 18th, 2018, 4:48 pm

DNACowboy wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 10:48 am
Rizmel wrote:
Bards Tale IV has all the elements of previous games as well as introducing elements we take for granted in the 21st century.
If you're talking about the Barrows Deep game, I'm not sure that you got the same game that I did. Care to enumerate what elements of the previous games are in it?
cmibl<enter>

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » September 18th, 2018, 11:42 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 4:48 pm
DNACowboy wrote:
Rizmel wrote:
Bards Tale IV has all the elements of previous games as well as introducing elements we take for granted in the 21st century.
If you're talking about the Barrows Deep game, I'm not sure that you got the same game that I did. Care to enumerate what elements of the previous games are in it?
Sure, see the ‘Not Bards Tale’ thread here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=19047

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 19th, 2018, 4:30 pm

DNACowboy wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 11:42 pm
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 4:48 pm
DNACowboy wrote:

Sure, see the ‘Not Bards Tale’ thread here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=19047
That doesn't answer the question. The very thread you cite has numerous instances of people showing that most of the elements of the previous games are not present in the Barrows Deep game.
cmibl<enter>

outsidefactor
Novice

Post by outsidefactor » September 19th, 2018, 5:00 pm

thebruce wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 3:57 pm
I'm certainly looking forward to playing it, but not as excited about the "sequel" aspect as I wish I was.
This is the best "short answer" I have seen yet.

The game is good, but not the faithful sequel that Wasteland 2 was. While I might disagree with people calling it Bard's Tale Lite: Harthstone edition, it certainly would have been better titled Barrows Deep: A Bard's Tale.

If you played the C64 or Apple 2 versions of the game and wanted a faithful update, then this isn't it. Is it a good game, yeah, it looks to be OK and worth the $35 price tag... once the bugs are fixed. This isn't quite No Mans Lie.

That being said... many of us are yet to receive the digital extras we were promised. If you wanted to hold off on a purchase in solidarity with that, then your support is welcome.

Also, if you want to play in 3440x1440 or another cinematic aspect ratio you might want to hold off. In fact, you might want to hold off and see how the first patch goes over altogether as there are some legitimate concerns about lost inventory items and some other bugs.

But, it's up to you. Either way, if you choose to buy in I hope that you get your monies worth and enjoy the game.