Concerned about Bard's Tale email

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

rgblois
Initiate

Concerned about Bard's Tale email

Post by rgblois » August 9th, 2018, 5:01 pm

I received an email the other day that is supposedly from Xsolla that says that Bard's Tale IV has been released but they cannot honor my request that I receive the game from GOG and that they are sending me a Steam Key instead.

I have not attempted to redeem the key as of yet, because I'm not sure what to think of this.

Is this email legitimate? If not, I think someone should be made aware that emails like this are going out. Also, if it's not real how did this person/sender know I purchased the Platinum Edition from GOG?

If it is legitimate, why am I unable to get the game from GOG? What is the problem?

Below is the email text that I received (the key has been removed in case it is legitimate):
===============================================================================================
Bards Tale IV PLATINUM EDITION

Unfortunately, we cannot send you a GOG activation key.
Please allow us to offer you a Steam key as compensation.
To request the refund of your purchase, please contact Xsolla Customer Support.
We sincerely apologize for this mistake and for any inconvenience this might have caused you.
Your Steam activation key:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Learn how to use the key

If you have any questions please contact Xsolla Customer Support

Hotline 1 877 797 65 52

You can also find us on social media:
====================================================================================

I hope someone can clear this up for me.

Thank you.

demeisen
Explorer

Re: Concerned about Bard's Tale email

Post by demeisen » August 9th, 2018, 5:33 pm

There's still an active beta discussion going on, and the game isn't scheduled to be released for months (?) yet. Also, the GOG page makes no mention of any changes that I can see. Still says "coming soon".

Smells scammy to me. (I'd forgo playing the game before letting Steam anywhere near my computer, so I sure hope nothing like that is true).

rgblois
Initiate

Post by rgblois » August 10th, 2018, 2:58 am

Thanks. My concern is that I did purchase the Platinum Edition. If this is a scam, how did they get my information to know that?

I'm hoping someone from InXile can provide some input.

I am on the beta, so I've been playing for a couple of weeks now, so that's not a problem.

I've also been following this for a long time so I know the published release date is in September, which is another reason I was concerned when I received this email.

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » August 10th, 2018, 4:38 am

That sounds like they may have sent you another beta key by mistake, since the beta is only on Steam. You should probably check up with them to make sure that you're still going to receive a key for the release version on GOG.
demeisen wrote: ↑
August 9th, 2018, 5:33 pm
the game isn't scheduled to be released for months (?) yet.
September 18th.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » August 15th, 2018, 12:36 am

Both the platinum and the Ultimate Edition state on the store page "*GoG Currently Not Supported*, and that is because of the Beta that you get for getting those editions. So chances are you won't be getting the GoG version at all, you'll need to refund.

Also Xsolla is their global distributor of this game. If you go to the pre-order page
https://bardstale.com/#buy

and scroll all the way to the bottom, you will see the logo "Powered by Xsolla Site Builder" "Xsolla is an authorized distributor of Bard's Tale: Barrow's Deep"

So it is safe to say there is no scam going on here. And it is just because you chose a package that does not support GoG version, most likely because of the Beta.