Class and Customization of them feels "flat"

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

burnz
Initiate

Class and Customization of them feels "flat"

Post by burnz » July 14th, 2018, 6:19 am

Hello,
i've been playing the game for a few hours now and one thing i noticed after playing 1-2 hours is that the classes and their customization feels boring/flat. Every time i'm looking at the class panel i can't find a class that i really like - it feels like they all suck the way they play. I haven't figured out exactly yet what is bothering me but it might be because it feels meaningless what class to pick... If you miss any type of class in your group it doesn't really matter, they all do the same amount of dmg more or less... The abilities of the class don't seem to have any big impact on the gameplay, at least not during for the first 10 hours. Anyways, i'm 10 hours into the game and i'm already seem to be getting bored with it...

lefty1117
Acolyte

Re: Class and Customization of them feels "flat"

Post by lefty1117 » July 14th, 2018, 6:25 am

The one thing I agree with is early on there is not as much differentiation, but looking down the skill trees you can see where there may start to be some synergies between them. One thing I already do is to use Spellsong from my Bard along with my mage's Battlemage talent to get my mage able to hit big spells early in fights. I see also a fighter skill called uh ... "To Me!" or something like that which means any character that moves towards the fighter doesn't use an opportunity point. Combine that with the mage's movement talent that reduces cost of a spell by one point when they move, and you can see how that can enable interesting tactical responses. Overall the feedback I've read elsewhere plus my own look at the trees makes me think it will get fairly deep as the characters move on, but I agree that in the slice of the game we're seeing it's not quite evident yet.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 14th, 2018, 7:23 am

Man. All those strategy skill options are way out of Bard's Tale classic league. It feels like that really drawing out every combat and round to a dramatic length, especially relative to how encounters carried out in the originals. I'm good with a bit of strategizing, but yeeshk...
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » July 14th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Given that they have stated that they believe combat is a core element of the original series, I am not entirely surprised with their focus on drawn-out combat and tactical combos. However, I disagree with their assessment that it was a core element. It was an element, which happened frequently but also quickly. Puzzle-solving and exploration would be elements that they could've focused on more. And, I don't mean all of these physical manipulation puzzles they've littered the game with or all of this gathering bits and pieces of various things for later use, but actual riddles, like in the originals. (There was some item-gathering in the originals, but it was built around special encounters, not stuff laying around in corners.) And, exploration isn't particularly fulfilling with all these beacons lighting the way.
cmibl<enter>

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 14th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Yes that was another comment (OT for this thread) that came to mind - puzzle in the classics weren't tinkering puzzles, they were mental challenges, riddles, tasks. Tinkering puzzles tend to have to get harder and harder if the concept doesn't change, whereas riddles are different every time and don't have to get "harder".
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0