wrong battle music

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

StrangeCat0
Initiate

wrong battle music

Post by StrangeCat0 » March 23rd, 2018, 6:22 am

I am watching a video of your game it looks good.

But your music directing is horrible.
your track that you have playing during the battle is completely wrong.
you have the wrong tempo, the music adds nothing to the scenario that is happening.

Since this is more Celtic Theme Game then why not have your composer create a track that starts with
Big drums then have the melody(Irish flute etc) play under Bodhran drums and other Celtic instruments to create Rhythm.

What you have is completely embarrassing.

Please do not allow that to be the music that plays in battle sequences. Also don't just have one track for the battle through out the game as that would be really tiring.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: wrong battle music

Post by thebruce » March 23rd, 2018, 8:55 am

Presumably, the music track that plays during combat will be entirely player choice, as the Bard is the character who will be playing music. So if you as ap layer want soft melodic hymns to play during combat, that's your choice :) For the sake of the alpha, I'm giving the music tracks a pass under the expectation that the above will be the case.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

StrangeCat0
Initiate

Post by StrangeCat0 » March 23rd, 2018, 9:28 am

thebruce wrote:
March 23rd, 2018, 8:55 am
Presumably, the music track that plays during combat will be entirely player choice, as the Bard is the character who will be playing music. So if you as ap layer want soft melodic hymns to play during combat, that's your choice :) For the sake of the alpha, I'm giving the music tracks a pass under the expectation that the above will be the case.
People will be able to choose their own combat music? That's strange. I see.

When combat starts it needs to have high energy music that fits the combat. Your in a battle a fight for your life the music
should reflect this. But if players can choose their own music I guess it doesn't matter.

The Music that plays in that Alpha is just plain flat. I can understand keeping it minimal so that frequencies don't conflict with FX sounds but really it's flat...boring and does nothing for the combat.

I am watching...

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 23rd, 2018, 9:54 am

People will be able to choose their own combat music? That's strange. I see.
Worth learning a bit about the originals. Bards play music during combat for different effects and boosts. Like in the alpha, the bard could [in theory] choose from any number of songs in the repertoire for various attacks or defense effects. When that happens the music changes, of course.

In the classics (and well most games), I tend to leave music and audio to a minimum if not off entirely. It'll likely be the same in BT4 (especially passive banter and taunts). For music, it'll entirely depend on the song composition and quality (not so much the timing and context :))
@thebruce0

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » March 23rd, 2018, 10:54 am

I noticed it too. The gentle music playing during combat certainly felt "off". I didn't connect it to what my Bard was doing. Will pay more attention next playthrough :)

StrangeCat0
Initiate

Post by StrangeCat0 » March 23rd, 2018, 11:41 am

I played the Original so long ago I had a C64 with Ultima V and Pools of Radiance. I played the original but honestly it is a fleeting memory.

How exactly then in the New Game are you guys handling the music? Is it some Bard playing the music and the player chooses the music?

Or is it Music used as an effect in combat from the Bard playing the Music?

The only way you can make it work is if the Bard is singing a faster song with strumming guitar.

Music is everything!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 23rd, 2018, 11:54 am

Couple links...
Update 41 discusses the Bard mechanic with some info about songs.
Update 35 has combat mechanic and music info.
@thebruce0

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » March 23rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

I wonder ... what if I decide not to have a Bard in my party? No music at all?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 23rd, 2018, 12:58 pm

Zombra wrote:
March 23rd, 2018, 12:56 pm
I wonder ... what if I decide not to have a Bard in my party? No music at all?
Hopefully!

Not every game needs to have music... (though some may disagree in this context since you know, "bard's tale" - even though the classics didn't require it)
@thebruce0

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » March 26th, 2018, 4:16 am

Honestly i do see why it breaks with tradition but i could listen to that track for hours :P

StrangeCat0
Initiate

Post by StrangeCat0 » March 27th, 2018, 3:42 pm

thebruce wrote:
March 23rd, 2018, 11:54 am
Couple links...
Update 41 discusses the Bard mechanic with some info about songs.
Update 35 has combat mechanic and music info.
Sorry got really sick...
I'll check out the links.
I created the topic because I thought the music wasn't adding anything to the scenario, ie, crises encounter etc.
doesn't mean I am correct. It could be just a personal opinion as you have your weird opinion of maybe no music?

I also don't dig the tempo it's to slow. One doesn't compose an Andante when they want to have fire they compose Presto etc.
Good luck with the project.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 27th, 2018, 3:58 pm

I also don't dig the tempo it's to slow. One doesn't compose an Andante when they want to have fire they compose Presto etc.
Good luck with the project.
I think this would be more a matter of applying good song effects to the the right musical candor and style. Like, heavy hitting effects should be with music that has a good beat and deep drums and whatnot as opposed to a melodic piano. (just a random example) In other words, you enter combat (no music), have your bard play a song that both matches the sense of combat AND provides effective offense/defense in that context.

Right now I think it's pretty much just placeholder music. But the key to a good bard would be the above - music with style and quality that matches what you want to do and what'll happen when played or sung.

The music may be quality itself, but it should feel right in the context of when it's likely to be used most. In or out of combat. That's the job of the musical director :)
@thebruce0

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » March 28th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Jademonk
Initiate

Post by Jademonk » April 20th, 2018, 4:50 pm

StrangeCat0 wrote:
March 23rd, 2018, 6:22 am
I am watching a video of your game it looks good.

But your music directing is horrible.
your track that you have playing during the battle is completely wrong.
you have the wrong tempo, the music adds nothing to the scenario that is happening.

Since this is more Celtic Theme Game then why not have your composer create a track that starts with
Big drums then have the melody(Irish flute etc) play under Bodhran drums and other Celtic instruments to create Rhythm.

What you have is completely embarrassing.

Please do not allow that to be the music that plays in battle sequences. Also don't just have one track for the battle through out the game as that would be really tiring.
I completely agree with all of this, especially what you said about big drums. Adventuring is war!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 20th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Something I noticed about Fallout's music... But I can't know if it's deliberate or coincidence, is that the NPC combat actions often seem to happen on the beat.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » April 21st, 2018, 2:38 am

Jademonk wrote:
April 20th, 2018, 4:50 pm
I completely agree with all of this, especially what you said about big drums. Adventuring is war!
I really enjoyed my 2 bards in Bard's T..., eh, Wizardry 8:
Starting the first round, with the Rousing Drums and the Angel's Horn (hasting and blessing my party), then following up, with the Snare of Delay and Piercing Bagpipes (slowing and damaging the enemy). It sounded magically great, just like the background music.

I'm really looking forward to musical instruments in BT4, with my 2 bards!