MT/BT4 asset sharing

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

demeisen
Explorer

MT/BT4 asset sharing

Post by demeisen » March 18th, 2018, 8:13 pm

I haven't played MT (Oculus = Facebook = non-starter), but I just watched some fellow's youtube video. Green Lady's Labyrinth, or Green Madam's Maze, I think it was. While the FPS-ish mechanics weren't my cup of tea, I liked the environments, or at least what I could see of them. (A 480P youtube video isn't the best way to really see what it's like - hence my curiosity below).

Personally since I never intend to play MT, I'm not even slightly bothered by the sharing of art assets. Share any and all that's appropriate to, as far as I'm concerned. I feel like that bodes well for BT4's visuals: it'll allow a larger set of dungeons to explore than the BT4 budget would allow, by itself. The little bit I saw looked like it'd be fun to explore, in a different kind of surrounding game.

Totally aside from the game mechanics, I'm curious what anybody who's played MT thinks of the dungeons and environments there.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: MT/BT4 asset sharing

Post by Woolfe » March 18th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Apparently its coming to VIVE and Playstation VR.

I really hate exclusives, but I assume this was at least partly due to learning the technology, and Oculus probably antied up with resources.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 18th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Woolfe wrote: ↑
March 18th, 2018, 8:35 pm
I assume this was at least partly due to learning the technology, and Oculus probably antied up with resources.
Yeah. I have no problem with MT existing on some platform I'll never use, especially if they got trainloads of cash from Oculus to do it. I figure the asset sharing they've talked about will only help BT4 - maybe quite considerably. I got a general positive vibe about the MT environmental art assets from the video I saw, so was curious what others thought.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » March 20th, 2018, 8:29 am

Just to confirm: the game wouldn't exist without Oculus' funding, so limited exclusivity was a small price to pay for being able to make the game. The work we were able to do with Mage's Tale positively impacted Barrows Deep in terms of extra assets as well as honing Unreal Engine 4.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

Having watched a few alpha streams, including a high res one, I can say the art assets look better than I expected. Top tier work there.