Bards Tale Trilogy Remastered with Auto Mapping

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Bladesinger
Novice

Bards Tale Trilogy Remastered with Auto Mapping

Post by Bladesinger » March 9th, 2018, 11:06 pm

I have to say, yes there have been other threads. However. I want to play the Remastered Trilogy and I want it NOW...

So tell me what should I do, play the trilogy un-remastered??? Where the catacombs looks like a funeral pyre and the walls looks dark and bland at the same time . (The Amiga graphics for dungeons were far superior)

Or wait.... With Patience.... I N D E F I N A T E L Y ???

Could a person from inExile P L E A S E update us on this as its a bit rude not updating us after taking our money.

Just saying...

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: Bards Tale Trilogy Remastered with Auto Mapping

Post by Gizmo » March 9th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Our money wasn't accepted for the remastered edition, it was accepted for the BT4 game.

I tried the remastered Wasteland BTW, and almost immediately switched the graphics back to the original imagery. There is no reason not to play the original Bard's Tale series, if you want to play the games. You could play the first, and see if the remastered versions release, and if not, then play the second... and so on.

Bladesinger
Novice

Post by Bladesinger » March 10th, 2018, 1:11 am

Very true. Im not sure I played Wasteland I will have to have a look sometime. I suppose I will just play BT1-3 on Amiga Forever Emulator. The graphics are so much better on Amiga.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 10th, 2018, 9:34 am

Bladesinger wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 1:11 am
Very true. Im not sure I played Wasteland I will have to have a look sometime. I suppose I will just play BT1-3 on Amiga Forever Emulator. The graphics are so much better on Amiga.
Some of the Amiga emulators will even play an audio file to emulate the floppy disk "click... click... click...", for a more authentic experience, if you happen to prefer that.

I share your opinion that the Amiga version of BT1 was the best one, even if it didn't use the machine's abilities to their full potential.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » March 11th, 2018, 3:46 am

Bladesinger wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 1:11 am
I suppose I will just play BT1-3 on Amiga Forever Emulator. The graphics are so much better on Amiga.
Yeah, that is a relatively convenient way to play, although you won't get the automap. If you want the automap, you have to play the Apple IIGS version, using the KEGS32 emulator, which requires some more time to set up properly. (If you look at the ones built-in BT2004, you can see how InXile failed at that.) Also you get the same graphics, better speed and superior music.

Bladesinger
Novice

Post by Bladesinger » March 12th, 2018, 8:39 am

Hmmmm dilemmas. Would be nice for an update on this sometime. But all very good points you have all made. What to do??? :(

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » March 12th, 2018, 10:01 am

Bladesinger wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 8:39 am
Hmmmm dilemmas. Would be nice for an update on this sometime. But all very good points you have all made. What to do??? :(
I would just play the emulated versions released by inXile last month. I already have prior releases but that package is nice and convenient.

Of course, I'm not one for remasters. I played the originals when they came out so I don't mind playing them that way, but appreciate the meta-game convenience provided by the digital fulfillment package.

Bladesinger
Novice

Post by Bladesinger » March 13th, 2018, 12:07 am

Nice. I suppose I am sort of a bit over the top. Its only really the Catacomb dungeon look for the latest 1-3 trilogy that put me off. After the Amiga version its just not the same in a depressing looking slapped together dungeon look with skulls on Every wall.... Huh? Anyway. Its a great trilogy! I should just get over it and not wait for the remastered, god help us digging into inExiles Stock and Shareholder PROFITs.... Woa be us for wanting them to dish out Cash for something they can just STONE WALL and they will never have to pay a cent. ... Just a bunch of people they can make a few bucks more out of if they just wait... Sure we will pay MoRE to inExile if they just PAY for what they commissioned to be part of the Paid package!!!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 13th, 2018, 7:18 am

Bladesinger wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 12:07 am
Just a bunch of people they can make a few bucks more out of if they just wait... Sure we will pay MoRE to inExile if they just PAY for what they commissioned to be part of the Paid package!!!
Uncalled for.

IIRC... Olde Sküül approached them, not the other way around. The programmer at Olde Sküül had the source code, and offered. The impression I've gotten from what I've read, is that they are not really involved with the project at all... they simply agreed to pay for it when (and if) it materialized. I also got the impression that that might be part of the problem—a lump sum payment at the end, rather than by the milestone. (This is just a guess)

Bladesinger
Novice

Post by Bladesinger » March 13th, 2018, 8:43 pm

You are correct. I take back my unthought words and apologise for any harm.

VitaminK
Novice

Post by VitaminK » March 23rd, 2018, 2:32 am

How do we access the original Trilogy? I can't get it through CrowdOx...

The Bard's Tale Classic Trilogy Emulated (Digital)

A digital emulated version of the Bard's Tale Classic Trilogy. This is the DOS version of the classic games, running on DOSBox, and available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It includes:

The Bard's Tale I - Tales of the Unknown (1985)
The Bard's Tale II - The Destiny Knight (1986)
The Bard's Tale III - The Thief of Fate (1988)

The included launcher also allows you to customize the visual display of the game using different filters, and includes an option to easily transfer your characters between games.
I see nowhere to download or get keys for it?
inXile fanboy, Wasteland survivor
Follow me on twitch.tv and see me get owned or once in awhile have a good run!

Jademonk
Initiate

Post by Jademonk » April 13th, 2018, 3:35 pm

I want a version of BT1 in which Mangar respawns so you can kill him again, and each time he does he becomes more powerful. (He's sort of a wimp in the original.)