Been Thinking About This For a While.

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Been Thinking About This For a While.

Post by Orpheus the Bard » January 20th, 2018, 5:34 am

Has any of the Devs or gamers here thought about the possibility of a Bard's Tale Board Game, Pencil N Paper Role Playing Game or as the young guy in one of the Brian Fargo Dev videos says, - "MMO's".

Imagine a MMO where you control a full party of adventures all at once, exploring ruins, dungeons & towers. Encountering other players party of adventurers. Joining forces or battling it out for their loot. I could imagine one of the present survival MMO's, but then again, those games look like they need more than one to build a cabin, or even small town or fortress.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Been Thinking About This For a While.

Post by thebruce » January 24th, 2018, 6:50 am

Oh I'd been thinking of a board game Bard's Tale. Card game Bard's Tale. Online Bard's Tale... (Bard's Tale Online? ;P)
It'd certainly be interesting. I have ideas for game mechanics I'd love to explore. Even w/o BT rights, inspiration from the classics could lead to something workable. Who knows.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 24th, 2018, 8:10 am

Hero Quest clone.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » January 24th, 2018, 8:18 am

Played that, yep. I got BT vibes playing it. A decent variant
@thebruce0

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » January 24th, 2018, 9:16 am

It's something we talk about for sure. We're big board gaming fans.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » January 25th, 2018, 1:38 am

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
January 20th, 2018, 5:34 am
Has any of the Devs or gamers here thought about the possibility of a Bard's Tale Board Game, Pencil N Paper Role Playing Game or as the young guy in one of the Brian Fargo Dev videos says, - "MMO's".
Board & Card game perhaps if one such company would acquire the Bard's Tale franchise/licence. Good art and handling of physical goods, aren't the strengthts of InXile, I'm afraid.

PnP no. Aside from the time/plane travelling in BT3, there isn't much of a world. Neither in BT2004. And to be honest, I doubt BT4 will have much of "world building" either. I'd take Might & Magic, and Wizardry PnP over Bard's Tale, in that order.
For the same reason, a big NO to MMO BT.

On the other hand:ImageImage

Good/decent world building and gameplay... The closest InXile can get there is with their highest rated and most successful Wasteland 2; We will see after WL3...
thebruce wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 6:50 am
Card game Bard's Tale.
phimseto wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 9:16 am
It's something we talk about for sure. We're big board gaming fans.
Have any of you played, any of the abovementioned ones? ;)

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » January 25th, 2018, 6:11 am

lol @ Tarjan card. Of course someone could make a BT branded Hearthstone :) Or BT branded Munchkin? o_O
@thebruce0

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » January 28th, 2018, 10:52 am

Think I struck oil with board games, but no interest with the table top role playing or survival Mmo's. I have to admit I haven't really done much in the way of working any thing out. I just thought with all the literature, lore, beasts, magic already set out it may not be such a stretch.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » January 29th, 2018, 6:19 am

I think the issue that much of the content is pretty disconnected. There's a minor character theme running through the series, but really the gameplay is all over the 'universe' as it were. In many stories there may be loose threads where a story to offshoot, but in BT1-3 most every beat in the game is some new random story arc with a task you need to do to advance :) Not as easy to foster the universe as a coherent whole; which aspect do you focus on? I think inXile is attempting to do that with BT4, and the downside is it naturally provides a different experience. From a plot standpoint, BT4 I'm assuming is going to be MUCH more fleshed out than 1-3.
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » January 29th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Sadly, I agree with that assessment. I think one of the things that can really add mystery to a setting is not to reveal too much about it. What you don't know is often more exciting than what you do know. Also, dungeons with respawnable monsters don't really mesh too well with most deep story-telling. If I don't have a deep story, then I don't need a reason for fighting a bajillion skeletons that keep reappearing every time I return to a catacombs, for example.
cmibl<enter>

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » January 30th, 2018, 7:04 am

I think a lot of that was handwaved in side-lore. Like the unending street, or magic that made maps 'wrap'. Explaining game mechanics with in-game explanations. I don't see why not :) Why can't there be a dungeon that for some mysterious reason has a zone in which hordes of enemies consistently reappear? Maybe they're caught in some temporal loop, or magical curse causing them to relive their mass deaths over and over and over again :P If it makes sense (rather, if it's internally consistent), why not? That style of content I'd find reminiscent of the classics and could handle in BT4... BT2004's level of humour and snark, not so much.
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » January 30th, 2018, 4:56 pm

You could have a detailed story to explain some of these phenomena (Sinister Street, respawning monsters), but you don't need one. They're cool by themselves and attempts to explain them remove some of their mystique. Consistency is great, but becomes harder to achieve as one adds more details. Just like balance is harder to achieve as one adds more classes or attributes to a game.

Definitely agree with your comment about BT2004 though.
cmibl<enter>

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » January 30th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Oh for sure, we don't need deep story for everything, I just thought it was 'cute' how they made an in-game explanation for looping maps and other game mechanics.
@thebruce0

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 2nd, 2018, 11:52 am

thebruce wrote:
January 30th, 2018, 6:17 pm
I just thought it was 'cute' how they made an in-game explanation for looping maps and other game mechanics.
Comments above made me realize that some part of my brain still knows that the BT1 maps (looping or not) were built on a 22x22 grid.

Why I still know that, I have no idea, since I haven't played the game since literally the year it came out. Perhaps hand mapping burns that sort of thing into your memory. Still, you'd think those synaptic connections would have found better things to do with themselves by now.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 2nd, 2018, 12:03 pm

It's always been disconcerting for me to know that some part of my brain is dedicated to holding layouts of old Quake maps, and the entire EoB1 dungeon. :)

(I can walk the EoB dungeon in my head; including the secret buttons, intangible walls, and the nasty —immolating— "Welcome" sign on level 10.)

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 2nd, 2018, 1:30 pm

Part of me really hopes to see some classic maps reenvisioned in BT4. Walk the cellar - same scale, same routes, or the sewers, or catacombs. Maybe with some in-world 'modern' changes (because time's passed)
@thebruce0

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 2nd, 2018, 2:08 pm

thebruce wrote:
March 2nd, 2018, 1:30 pm
Part of me really hopes to see some classic maps reenvisioned in BT4. Walk the cellar - same scale, same routes, or the sewers, or catacombs. Maybe with some in-world 'modern' changes (because time's passed)
Nice. I like it. I suppose one way or the other, game content has been locked down for a while now, but it'd be cool to see something along those lines. It could even be optional side-quest content. Some optional conversational path leads you to a wine cellar...

It might even be pretty cheap to produce, because a great deal of texture re-use would be fine. The classics had more or less the same wall texture throughout a whole dungeon. For the main game content, they're probably going for something less cut and pasty (which is good, IMO), but for this kind of throwback dungeon, shoot... you're good with a single 2K wall bitmap and maybe a door. The rest is simple rectilinear geometry.

Editing to add another thought: Along the lines of "modern" changes: If I were doing this, and assuming the BT4 city/ies won't be Skara Brae, I'd be inclined to have a new entrance to a classic dungeon, like a hole in a wall that opened up in an earthquake. The original entrance from S.B. would be impassible rubble caused by same event. That ties the worlds together, with in-game hints about why you start out in a different location, and can't get back to S.B. through the BT1 entrance. Would be a nice tip-o-the-hat to fans of the classics.
Last edited by demeisen on March 2nd, 2018, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 2nd, 2018, 2:11 pm

Gizmo wrote:
March 2nd, 2018, 12:03 pm
(I can walk the EoB dungeon in my head; including the secret buttons, intangible walls, and the nasty —immolating— "Welcome" sign on level 10.)
Impressive... I don't have the complete BT1 Skara Brae map still in my memory, but I do have a kind of overview of it with the general locations of statues, Garth's, Roscoe, etc. (I did play EoB, but for some reason I can't recall any more, was more taken with Dungeon Master).

Colossal Cave though, a bunch of that's still in my head.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 2nd, 2018, 9:40 pm

thebruce wrote:
Something like this might be fun to find (specifically the underground part):

Or do you mean the original maps reworked with the modern assets?

I wouldn't mind visiting the Dark Domain... but only if it really was; (dark).

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » March 3rd, 2018, 10:21 am

Gizmo wrote:
March 2nd, 2018, 9:40 pm
thebruce wrote:
Something like this might be fun to find (specifically the underground part):

Or do you mean the original maps reworked with the modern assets?

I wouldn't mind visiting the Dark Domain... but only if it really was; (dark).
love your mock up (again) something akin to that was featured in the Doom Reboot and i loved it. It would also be a way for plebs like me who simply are not willing to go back THAT far into the past of videogames to really appreciate The old games, to get a glimpse of what made the old games great without having to endure the mechanics.

(and before someone asks, i love old games, going back into Atari Territory but trying to play Wasteland 1 when wasteland 2 came around was like trying to master arcane arts. )