Is this Game going to Live Up to Expectations?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Orpheus the Bard
Scholar

Is this Game going to Live Up to Expectations?

Post by Orpheus the Bard » January 15th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Right from the start, when I saw the first cinematic & screen shot for this game. it seemed more geared towards the young & not the fans of the original classics. Yet, this is just my own reckoning. I do believe I have seen the latest demo videos of this game. The one your shown the three adventures inside the HUD at the bottom of the screen. The way they turn around & face you the player while randomly commenting on what's happening & with each other. Inside some dungeon, there are beasties & some new type of magic. I'm not so sure about that. It does look good, & it is certainly is a cut above.

Yet, it seems more like another game & like the last game which I did like, but I can acknowledge that game succeeded only in it's own right & connected by the title & some aspects alone. Everything else was different, save for the setting. Just from memory of playing it last time, there were no surviving lore or characters. There was no Roscoe, no Garth. (Only two I could remember.) Only the main character known as the Bard. The game was well done, a good story, but I fear those who love the classics will never play anything like those again, unless they go back to their old computers, or emulations and boot those up.

Those games area dying breed.
Sure the latest games need to be progressive & with the times, but I'd like to see more content from the older games, & if not the same identities, then some proof that they were there at one stage, along with their legacy. I can't write much more hear with out seeing more or playing the new game itself.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Is this Game going to Live Up to Expectations?

Post by thebruce » January 16th, 2018, 6:15 am

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Yet, it seems more like another game & like the last game which I did like, but I can acknowledge that game succeeded only in it's own right & connected by the title & some aspects alone. Everything else was different, save for the setting. Just from memory of playing it last time, there were no surviving lore or characters. There was no Roscoe, no Garth. (Only two I could remember.) Only the main character known as the Bard. The game was well done, a good story, but I fear those who love the classics will never play anything like those again, unless they go back to their old computers, or emulations and boot those up.
Yeah, that was The Bard's Tale [2004], the spinoff that inXile released unthe BT name, but not a direct successor. It was never really intended to be faithful to the originals, but rather a tongue-in-cheek RPG. But we do occasionally get the sense that they're naturally being led to incorporate some of that 'feel' in BT4, which many of (here, at least) are hoping will be kept to a minimum.
We want to see BT4, not BT2018 :)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Orpheus the Bard
Scholar

Post by Orpheus the Bard » January 16th, 2018, 8:40 am

thebruce wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 6:15 am
We want to see BT4, not BT2018 :)
Same here, but it look more that one than the others, plus it does look it could be the same level of maturity that Spore and No Man Sky were. Still great games, but once you get past thet surface of them, they are really just too dumb to take seriously any more.

My only other reason fro sticking around and back this game are merely to feed the completeist in me. There is still money there, I just to don't think I'm part of the target audience any more. Which sad when you consider a lot of games are like this & our favourite games don't need to be, but they can only market the game to it's maxium potential this way.

BTW, Bards Tale 2004 was the only one in this series I ever completed and I did enjoy it, but it's bastard child rather than direct descendant.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 16th, 2018, 9:05 am

It wont or rather it cant. Regardless of its own merit "living up to the expectations" is not really possible, mostly because people have different opinions on what that means.

That doesnt mean however that there wont be any overarching quality rating from the community as i think, even though i liked TTON it has earned its ~70% rating. What we have seen thus far from BTIV looks pretty promising to me, however while im not part of the "young" i never played Bards tale so its kind of a toss up.

I am however not a fan of overtly "in your face" humor for whats that worth.

NewlyObsessedFan
Initiate

Post by NewlyObsessedFan » January 16th, 2018, 11:13 am

well, based on the demo all I am expecting is something like a smaller Wizardry 8 only in a world that's more beautifully rendered. Nothing else.

So unless they drop concepts and quality they advertised in their demo, I expect to be quite satisfied in those expectations.

I played the 2004 offshoot game, appreciated the humor there but it got a bit old by the end - I ended up mostly liking that game for it's ending where the bard got marry that beautiful demoness - finally an RPG where the MC got a reward that was worth the trip.

The first 3 though, I thought about trying them as some kind of prep-course for the upcoming one, but frankly can't get past their age with all that entails

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » January 16th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 8:40 am
My only other reason fro sticking around and back this game are merely to feed the completeist in me. There is still money there, I just to don't think I'm part of the target audience any more. Which sad when you consider a lot of games are like this & our favourite games don't need to be, but they can only market the game to it's maximum potential this way.
Yeah, that says quite a bit about InXile, especially given that this was crowd-funded as a sequel to the original trilogy, a revival of the classic dungeon-crawler, for old-school veterans. I remember that stupid pitch video quite well.
Lord of Riva wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 9:05 am
What we have seen thus far from BTIV looks pretty promising to me, however while im not part of the "young" i never played Bards tale so its kind of a toss up.
Frankly, we haven't seen shit, for 2.5 years of development time, but a heavily scripted UE4 demo with horrible portraits and a few screenshots of non-BT-like monsters and environments. Also pushing BT2004 (console releases plus a freakin' remaster just to stick it to Burger) and Mage's Tale.
NewlyObsessedFan wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 11:13 am
Well, based on the demo all I am expecting is something like a smaller Wizardry 8 only in a world that's more beautifully rendered. Nothing else.
A smaller Wizardry 8, one of the best CRPGs of all time, and a true sequel and conclusion to the epic saga? Not even when I backed BT4 were my expectaions so high, and since then they have been considerably lowered, due to the terrible updates and communication of InXile.
NewlyObsessedFan wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 11:13 am
The first 3 though, I thought about trying them as some kind of prep-course for the upcoming one, but frankly can't get past their age with all that entails.
BT1-3 Remastered... What's the status on that one, InXile?

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 16th, 2018, 12:47 pm

@ZiN naturally im basing this on the demo, if its akin to this it may be good, it may also be bad, who the f knows :D

Orpheus the Bard
Scholar

Post by Orpheus the Bard » January 16th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:
It wont or rather it cant. Regardless of its own merit "living up to the expectations" is not really possible, mostly because people have different opinions on what that means.
I was stuck for title to this thread, so, just go with it even if my meaning is a little different from what was advertised. As for expectation, I guess you need to find what the general consensus is. What people generally want from this game.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 16th, 2018, 1:38 pm

ZiN wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 12:32 pm
... plus a freakin' remaster just to stick it to Burger ....
—Burger, is the one who offered to do the remaster; and is responsible for producing it.

farland
Novice

Post by farland » January 16th, 2018, 3:01 pm

is there a bards tale 4 demo?????

Orpheus the Bard
Scholar

Post by Orpheus the Bard » January 16th, 2018, 4:28 pm

—Burger, is the one who offered to do the remaster; and is responsible for producing it.
[/quote]

I'd like to see that. Out of the entire series, I find it the easiest one to play or maybe it's that I just bothered to get more used to it. If your starting party already has some gear related to their class's. It's not so hard to find the three or four places you need to know of to keep going. Right with every character nearly at tenth level, I could just about let them get lost in the first dungeon without panicking too much. From the beginning of reacquainting myself with this game after a roughly 25 year haitus, after playing this game right up to the very last boss battle where I kept losing.

So, I do know what is going on with the teleporting to the harder levels.

Despite what whatever was going on I have suspected that that entire town (Along with the heros, and the wandering denizons) was shrunk & hasn't been moved from it's location at all. The disappearance of Garth & Roscoe & whom ever else was a regular from the earlier games should treated with suspicion.

Contnued later

NewlyObsessedFan
Initiate

Post by NewlyObsessedFan » January 17th, 2018, 7:02 am

ZiN wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 12:32 pm
A smaller Wizardry 8, one of the best CRPGs of all time, and a true sequel and conclusion to the epic saga? Not even when I backed BT4 were my expectaions so high, and since then they have been considerably lowered, due to the terrible updates and communication of InXile.
I don't see the comparison of Wiz8 to their demo as being too high in expectations because that demo showcased art, style and polish that was significantly above the quality of Wiz8. So if their final product manages to not dip too far below what demo showcased 2? years ago, looks like this game will be able to stand toe-to-toe with Wizardry quite well.

and to qualify the above, i did read their replies regarding expected game length, so i realize it probably won't be as big of a world as Wizardry 8.

Personally I am very much hoping that this project will be first of a series re-boot and after release there will be a Bard's Tale V where the project can almost entirely re-use the engine and lot of code from 4, and whatever funding garnered can be devoted to longer campaign and ever more variety.
Frankly, we haven't seen shit, for 2.5 years of development time
i've participated in crowdfunding of projects: Divinity: Original Sin, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Chos Reborn, currently ongoing BattleTech.

And reviewing the updates in their news section, their communication of ongoing development is pretty normal by the standards of averaging out communication of above mentioned projects.

It takes very significant amount of work to publish a demo or even a good video of a product in development - so I can well appreciate why smaller companies like this don't do consistent updates of playable demo through-out the multi-year development.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 17th, 2018, 11:10 am

NewlyObsessedFan wrote:
January 17th, 2018, 7:02 am
I don't see the comparison of Wiz8 to their demo as being too high in expectations because that demo showcased art, style and polish that was significantly above the quality of Wiz8.
Quality is a relative term... One needs to compare system requirements to judge it.
So if their final product manages to not dip too far below what demo showcased 2? years ago, looks like this game will be able to stand toe-to-toe with Wizardry quite well.
But so would the Beowulf film by Robert Zimeckes... It's the gameplay that matters; is it not?
Last edited by Gizmo on January 17th, 2018, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

NewlyObsessedFan
Initiate

Post by NewlyObsessedFan » January 17th, 2018, 11:16 am

don't get the reference - obviously I am setting my expectations for a game here based on game-play shown. How is a movie relevant here?

Are you expecting a demo that you can actually play at this stage? if so, that's just not the norm for a project funded in this manner.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 17th, 2018, 11:22 am

NewlyObsessedFan wrote:
January 17th, 2018, 11:16 am
don't get the reference - obviously I am setting my expectations for a game here based on game-play shown. How is a movie relevant here?
Because (presently) they are both movie clips, and the visuals are all that is seemingly being compared here. Beowulf has the visuals, but zero gameplay —yet its visuals (also) beat Wizardry, and are par with BT4.

How does BT4 compare to Wizardry's gameplay? (That's the only comparison that I'd be interested in.)

*—Well... excepting 'How does BT4 compare to BT3's gameplay?'

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 17th, 2018, 11:28 am

Well i for one liked the ideas shown in the demo regarding the tactical options, we wont know for sure if it lives up to that naturally.

My only worry there is in a longer dungeoncrawl or over the course of the game that trash mobs in a complex system may lead to a repetitive and a slow slog regarding the pacing. But i will reserve my jugdement for that and i am still optimistic.

EDIT: or rather i am willing to have a bit of a slog for a complex tactical system, i know it doesnt look like this but i actually like to think while playing :lol:

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 17th, 2018, 6:22 pm

I think it has a pretty good chance of living up to expectations and being a good game, mostly because the expectations are much lower for this type of game, all Inxile needs to do is great a decent dungeon crawler with good maps and a good character system with lots of builds, which isn't that difficult. Blobbers are much cheaper to make because of those reasons, also the devs don't have to make animations for the players characters (only the enemies), as well as not having to do skins for armor and clothing (because it's completely first-person). Also there's no expectations for world-altering choice and consequence and complex questing/storytelling like WL2 and TToN.

That said, whether or not the game will be a success financially is a complete mystery.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

nambulous
Novice

Post by nambulous » January 29th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Crosmando wrote:
January 17th, 2018, 6:22 pm
which isn't that difficult.
LOL?

Anyway, the game is definitely going to live up to my expectations, since I have none. :P I backed this mostly because I really loved Wasteland 2. The last crawler I played was Grimrock. I bet they can make it at least as good.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » January 30th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Right from the start, when I saw the first cinematic & screen shot for this game. it seemed more geared towards the young & not the fans of the original classics.
I dunno... I think there's potential. I'm not young, and I played and finished BT1 when it came out around 1985 or 86 or whatever (and I wasn't young then either :lol:), and I'm still looking forward to this one. I never played the 2004 installment - it occupies the same mental oubliette as those unspeakable three three Star Wars movies - but BT4 piqued my interest enough for me to back it.

I'm not expecting, nor did they promise, a straight up reskin with some new dungeons. They were pretty clear that they were aiming in a different (and I believe most likely better) direction for the combat system, but they wanted to make a party/blobber, oldschool-ish, modern-graphics type crawler with a tactical combat system and fun exploration that you can self-map on your own graph paper if you want. If they pull that off, and it's satisfyingly challenging and makes me think some instead of just mash buttons, then I'm satisfied.

I'm only expecting so much though. There isn't a lot of money in the sub-genre, and it isn't like they have, or could afford, 250 people to work on the thing. You're going to get the output of a small team.

Of course, people are going to moan no matter what they do. One of the strengths of crowdsourcing is that games like this can get made at all. One of the drawbacks is that backers often have some sense of entitlement about the game being made exactly to their tastes, which just isn't a realistic expectation. I'm not going to find BT4 my perfect modernized BT, I'm sure, but I think there's a strong chance I'll enjoy it anyway.

I can count on one hand the games I'm looking forward to. BT4 is one of them.
Lord of Riva wrote:
I am however not a fan of overtly "in your face" humor for whats that worth.
What he said. The less of that, the better. Push comes to shove, I can replace all the voice files with silence...

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 30th, 2018, 8:43 pm

nambulous wrote:
January 29th, 2018, 4:53 pm
Crosmando wrote:
January 17th, 2018, 6:22 pm
which isn't that difficult.
LOL?
Well, compared to Fallout or Planescape Torment style games, definetely less difficult/costly. There are dungeon crawler blobbers out there made by one person on budgets close to nothing, the main cost are the graphics.
Matthias did nothing wrong!