Things You Want to Know About BT4 [Questions]

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Things You Want to Know About BT4 [Questions]

Post by Crosmando » June 4th, 2017, 11:40 am

So I think this might be a good idea for a thread, list some things that you would like to know about BT4 which have not been revealed yet. Who knows, InXile may read the thread and it may get answered in a future update. Of course, many of these won't be answered this early for marketting reasons, but it can't hurt to ask! Anyone is welcome to reply to this asking their own questions.

Compiled Questions From This Thread:

- How many dungeons will BT4 have?

- How many locations/zones will BT4 have?

- How many magic spells would you estimate BT4 will have (split between all the spellcasters)?

- Could the class situation be completely clarified? It has been mentioned that all the original classes from BT will be returning, but the Geomancer and Chronomancer were not mentioned, are they returning? Also it was mentioned that a Cleric class is being added to the game, is that the only new class InXile plan to add?

- What races will be playable in BT4? The Trow have been mentioned as a new race, but what others are confirmed?

- Will it be possible to create your full party right from the start of the game?

- Will BT4 be a "continuous" open world where all locations connect together as one big world (like the Elder Scrolls) or will it have a travel map between locations like WL2? (or perhaps something like Baldur's Gate)

- Will NPCs and shops be static screens that appear once you enter a door (like original BT) or will you physically enter locations and click on NPCs directly to interact? A combination of both?

- Will BT4 have some form of random encounters and/or respawning?

- How many of BT4's monsters are from the originals or are directly based on the portraits from the originals?

- Does BT4 have time-sensitive puzzles, if so do they take place in real-time or turn-based mode?

- How many of BT4's bard songs are from the originals or are directly based on the songs from the originals?

- Will the Adventurer's guild be similar to the classics where i can create new characters, add and remove them to and from the party, at any time during the game?

- Will there be remnant references to the other cities in the Wilderness out beyond the gates of BT4's Skara Brae?

- Will BT4 be akin to BT1 in forgoing automatic regeneration of SP/HP in dungeons, so there's an element of longer term resource consideration?

- How will attributes work? Will we roll for random attributes like the originals or will we have a point +/- system like WL2? Will attributes go up automatically when a character levels up or will we get points to raise the attributes of our choice?

- Will it be marginally possible to permanently recruit from random encounters?
Last edited by Crosmando on June 10th, 2017, 4:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Iiago
Acolyte

Re: Things You Want to Know About BT4 [Questions]

Post by Iiago » June 4th, 2017, 8:57 pm

I find it so hard to ask specific questions about a game when you don't yet know the underlying drive of where it's headed. So I guess I'd ask something general like: "Why would a player enjoy playing BTIV?"

Is it the exploration? (like Skyrim or WL) Is it the risk/reward of surviving random encounters? (like your average rogue-like) Is it the challenge? (like the original BT, which I at least found real tough) Is it the joy of using a variety of combat tools to develop different combat styles? (like X-Com) Is it be a 'zone-out' game? (like a JRPG. Which would make me cry a little). Is the unique setting? (like WL or Fallout)

Personally I'm hoping for something that's bloody hard with a reasonably deep combat system, where I'm forced to develop new strategies fairly often to deal with new monster types/dungeon area effects/mixes of monster types. Signs look good so far.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 5th, 2017, 6:10 am

I dunno, "Why would a player enjoy" is extremely vague and is just begging for marketing speak to hype the game for as many people as possible. It's not "just" for this and this type of gamer, that would be alienating. I think questions would need to be on specifics (a good variant may be "I enjoy this-type-of-thing, how will I enjoy BT4?". Specifics would also help gear their thinking around what we are thinking of when we think of BT4; why we asked those questions. And if it gets them thinking about an answer for the questions we specifically care about, the side effect of having them on the same plane of thinking can be quite welcome ;)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Alation
Initiate

Post by Alation » June 5th, 2017, 6:20 am

Some of the questions mentioned have already been given answers. For example you will only be able to create 5 characters (I think) out of the max party size of 8 to start with. And I believe they mentioned about having random encounters in one of the first developer interviews.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 5th, 2017, 7:08 am

Alation wrote:
June 5th, 2017, 6:20 am
Some of the questions mentioned have already been given answers. For example you will only be able to create 5 characters (I think) out of the max party size of 8 to start with. And I believe they mentioned about having random encounters in one of the first developer interviews.
To clarify my question is more like "Even if the game has recruitable companions, can you choose at the beginning of the game to ignore them and create a fully party, like the originals".

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » June 5th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Some of these will be answered over time, but keep the thread updated, Crosmando, and I'll get answers for everyone when I can and where appropriate.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 5th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Question: will it be marginally possible to permanently recruit from random encounters?

June 5th, 2017, 6:10 am
I dunno, "Why would a player enjoy" is extremely vague and is just begging for marketing speak to hype the game for as many people as possible.
I don't think it's that overly vague...If asked of a game called Extreme NASCAR, driving is implied, and the response could be related to the thrill of experiencing high speed NASCAR races from a participant's perspective; and continue on about the various game systems that help facilitate the level of realism.

If asked about a game called Bard's Tale 4, (Bard's are implied?) and the response could be to state its genre, and extol the game's world setting [ideally this would hearken back to parts 1-3 :? ], and then continue with a summary of the various game and character systems offered. The response could tell about what makes the game interesting and unique; and why a player might enjoy it.
It's not "just" for this and this type of gamer, that would be alienating.
A shame too... Most games should be inherently alienating. It's when a game starts being designed towards separate (often mutually exclusive gameplay) targets, that it starts to lose accuracy on any particular target; and this invariably results in delivering a lesser game to each targeted segment of the consumers.
It would be a better game if it targeted just one segment and gave them the studio's best (and undiluted) efforts towards a single type of game, and let the customer buy what suits them best among many... rather than be forced to settle from a selection of what suits most players—somewhat.

When CTRL+ALT+Ninja announced their new turn based game a few weeks ago, one of the first comments was requesting that they add a realtime combat mode. Image

When people demand that everyone enjoy a product, that's like trying to sell jelly beans—as a mixed bag, rather than specifically root-beer or licorice or sour flavored; sold in three different packs, and to each their own. Instead you force the licorice lover to by a bag with 2/3 filler material; and it's the same for the other two. Image

If only the games being developed these days were once again this focused:
Last edited by Gizmo on June 5th, 2017, 3:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 5th, 2017, 2:52 pm

... Not going to debate just for the sake of debating. That was a big response to a small point...
Q: I enjoy grid-mapping - will I enjoy Bard's Tale 4? A: Yes/No, because...
Q: Why would someone enjoy Bard's Tale 4? A: ... hmm, well, any number of reasons, really. What specifically would you like to know? Or do you want to see a list of everything?

To reiterate: "Why would a player enjoy XYZ?" Is less helpful than "If I enjoy ABC, would I enjoy XYZ?" I'm just going to leave it at that.

Keep up the good list, Crosmando!
@thebruce0

ZiN
Explorer

Post by ZiN » June 6th, 2017, 5:43 am

Crosmando wrote:
June 4th, 2017, 11:40 am
- The Geomancer and Chronomancer were not mentioned, are they returning?
- How many of BT4's monsters are from the originals or are directly based on the portraits from the originals?
Gizmo wrote:
June 5th, 2017, 2:24 pm
Question: will it be marginally possible to permanently recruit from random encounters?
- How many of BT4's bard songs are from the originals or are directly based on the songs from the originals?

- Will the Adventurer's guild be similar to the classics where i can create new characters, add and remove them to and from the party, at any time during the game?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 6th, 2017, 5:52 am

- Will there be remnant references to the other cities in the Wilderness out beyond the gates of BT4's Skara Brae?
@thebruce0

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 7th, 2017, 4:49 am

OK, so I'll keep the list in the opening post updated for all questions, try to keep questions succinct and specific.

demeisen
Acolyte

Post by demeisen » June 7th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Will BT4 be akin to BT1 in forgoing automatic regeneration of SP/HP in dungeons, so there's an element of longer term resource consideration?

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 7th, 2017, 7:37 pm

I hope so, but I don't expect it. I really think that the trek back to town was an important aspect of the experience.... Sort of, "You didn't really succeed unless you made it back alive." With Diablo giving instant access almost at will to the town, that influenced the games that followed, and ushered in the dawn of the age of expected convenience... :(

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 8th, 2017, 4:54 am

New question from me:
- How will attributes work? Will we roll for random attributes like the originals or will we have a point +/- system like WL2? Will attributes go up automatically when a character levels up or will we get points to raise the attributes of our choice?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 8th, 2017, 5:51 am

@thebruce0

demeisen
Acolyte

Post by demeisen » June 8th, 2017, 8:54 am

Gizmo wrote:
June 7th, 2017, 7:37 pm
I really think that the trek back to town was an important aspect of the experience....
Agreed - BT1 was about a whole journey from safety, into danger, and back to safety. Also, it gives meaning to smaller fights, since they contribute to wearing your party down along that journey.