What would you like in a BT movie?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

K T Ong
Initiate

What would you like in a BT movie?

Post by K T Ong » May 26th, 2017, 6:36 pm

If Hollywood decided to do a BT movie and you could decide on its details, what would your choices be? How would you have it directed? Whom would you nominate to play the roles of which character?

Just for the sheer fun of knowing. ;)

Iiago
Acolyte

Re: What would you like in a BT movie?

Post by Iiago » May 26th, 2017, 11:40 pm

...I...don't know that you could? You could make one out of the 2004 game. But for me (and I only played BTI and II of the originals) Bard's Tale was purely mechanics. There were stories but they were very bare bones; no personalities to interact with, no plot advancement (let alone plot twists). It'd be like making a film out of snakes and ladders.

I suppose you could make a straight fantasy film about a band of 6 people trying to defeat an evil wizard, but I don't know how you'd avoid being a LoTR knock-off, or Princess Bride without the humour.

A fantasy-themed version of Ocean's 11 could work I guess?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » May 27th, 2017, 7:37 am

Agreed. Or, like Battleship. Owait, ...

A game with a set hero or heroes with a backstory (ie a game with a 'script') is easier to convert to a film. But BT is custom characters; not much is specific to the 'slot' and the same for all players (such as the heroes ascending to the stars, eg), so what story would be told that "feels" like Bard's Tale? Especially for a game where everyone could play very differently :)
The commonality would be namedropping and certain NPCs/villains... but a lot of the content was independent, tongue in cheek, random.

It would be interesting if it could be done, but probably not very easy at all.

We've already got a book series with the title, and they bare very little resemblance to the game content. =/ (tho I haven't read them yet, I do have a few on my shelf, heh)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

demeisen
Acolyte

Post by demeisen » May 27th, 2017, 9:06 am

Iiago wrote: ↑
May 26th, 2017, 11:40 pm
There were stories but they were very bare bones; no personalities to interact with, no plot advancement (let alone plot twists).
That has never stopped Hollywood before. :D

Iiago
Acolyte

Post by Iiago » May 27th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Heh - I just had an "Eragon" flashback.