Game Length

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Iiago
Acolyte

Re: Game Length

Post by Iiago » June 20th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Themadcow wrote:
June 19th, 2017, 1:31 am
I certainly like a game that isnt so long I can't complete it - or is so story / text heavy I have forgotten what's happened if I have a break from it for a few weeks (see: most modern isometric RPGs). Despite having a demanding job, kids and all of 3-4 hours a week dedicated PC gaming time I still managed to beat Grimrock and M&M X because of their 30-40 hrs length.

Skyrim I ploughed 100 hours into but over a 5 year period (I just finished the main quest last month), and I spent 80-100 hours on Persona 4, Strange Journey and Etrian games because they were mobile. 40 hours or so would work for me.
Yeah I spent about 100hrs on Skyrim over a year. I really wish I'd been able to play something other than just Skyrim in that year though. Though I suppose the length was part of the game experience there, a shorter Skyrim would be a different experience.
Crosmando wrote:
June 19th, 2017, 4:34 am
Paying $40+ for a 20 hour game just isn't good value for money, no matter how good those 20 hours are.
I'm guessing that's a joke, but I'm always surprised when people unwittingly argue that $2/hr is bad value. I've never got the logic, and I can't think of any other art form where people equate value with length.

I'm sure there is no-one on the planet who has ever recommended War & Peace because it's "good value", or complained that The Old Man and the Sea is too short to be worth your money. And I'm yet to hear anyone walk out of a movie or a play and say "You know it was pretty good, I just wish it had been longer".

If they reviewed books like they reviewed video games, The Great Gatsby would have a low metacritic score because at approx 110 pages it would get blasted for poor "lastability".

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 20th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Matthias did nothing wrong!

Iiago
Acolyte

Post by Iiago » June 21st, 2017, 7:39 am

I take your point, but often (though not always) I don't think it makes them better. Of that list I've played Wiz 6 and 7 and I think both, but especially Wiz 7, could've stood a lot of cutting.

I had no issues with WL2 length, whatever that was. It was sufficiently varied and interesting to carry it through.

EDIT: Let me put it another way. If people want the game to be the type of experience that can only be delivered with long playtime, well alright (I don't want that, but ok I get it). But if the concern is simply adding hours to hit some arbitrary number based on $/hr, well that I don't get.

I'll spend $40 to avoid 40 hours of pointless busy work, I don't really want to pay for the privilege.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » June 21st, 2017, 6:25 pm

Iiago wrote:
June 21st, 2017, 7:39 am
I take your point, but often (though not always) I don't think it makes them better. Of that list I've played Wiz 6 and 7 and I think both, but especially Wiz 7, could've stood a lot of cutting.

I had no issues with WL2 length, whatever that was. It was sufficiently varied and interesting to carry it through.

EDIT: Let me put it another way. If people want the game to be the type of experience that can only be delivered with long playtime, well alright (I don't want that, but ok I get it). But if the concern is simply adding hours to hit some arbitrary number based on $/hr, well that I don't get.

I'll spend $40 to avoid 40 hours of pointless busy work, I don't really want to pay for the privilege.
it depends on the game as well. Story based games are often shorter, because the depth is the story. Whereas a blobber tends to be more about the blobbing than the storying.... So they usually have a bit longer game....

Of course everything is different and sometimes you get long stories.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 21st, 2017, 10:42 pm

For what it's worth, I'm just outside the final dungeon (or penultimate if you count the secret final dungeon) of Artifact Adventure, a JRPG throwback, and I've logged about 15 hours, according to Steam.

Then again, I'm about to enter Hollywood on WL2DC and I'm 45 hours in.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Alation
Novice

Post by Alation » July 9th, 2017, 2:55 am

Just reading around for info and it looks like they will be making about 20 "dungeons". That means approximatly 1hr per dungeon. I am hoping that the dungeons will be a little bit more complex than just 1hr each.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 9th, 2017, 2:25 pm

1 hour per dungeon? No idea where you're pulling that number from. :) Maybe with no combat, mapping an average level could be around an hour... even that would vary widely depending on method, detail, and content. Add in random encounters, scripted battles, puzzles, ...
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Alation
Novice

Post by Alation » July 9th, 2017, 7:11 pm

http://www.pcgamer.com/bards-tale-4-fir ... n-crawler/

That is a site for an interview for bards tale iv with inxile, about a third of the way down they state that there will be 20 "dungeons".

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 10th, 2017, 5:56 am

Yes, there are two threads discussing it.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0