What's your favorite art style for RPG Menus?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: What's your favorite art style for RPG Menus?

Post by thebruce » May 2nd, 2017, 6:48 am

DukeKingston wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 12:47 am
Whow, this thread has spawned two additional pages since I last checked in. I'm trying to keep up. There are some really grate notes in here.

One thing I wanted to clarify, which was a little off topic, was the fear of having to weight for ability animations to complete in order to proceed in combat. We have an event queuing system in place to fix this exact problem. You can input commands as fast as you please and the results are calculated instantly. The attack animations play out in string of ability "performances" that are disconnected from what inputs you've given the combat system. With each attack tending to resolve in under 2 seconds, with only a few exceptions, I find myself never that much further ahead than the animations, if at all. Since every combat is a little different, I naturally find myself spending a second between each input anyways, thinking out my next few moves and planning combos. We're constantly trying to tighten up un-necessarily long performances when we find them. It's been falling pretty tight so far, and getting tighter.

Even with that system in place, I still think the desire for a combat animation fast-forward or skipping system is well founded.
Thanks for the comment, encouraging; just wanted to address the bold.
In the classics, as I'm sure you're aware, one attack could take 1/10 of a second or less ;) Recall, "Faster...Faster...Faster...Faster...Faster...Faster...Faster..." :lol:

My combat when crawling was generally read like:
"Before you stands 2 Band--"
F-A-A-A-A-D-D-D-Y
Space-Space-Space-Space-Space-Space
F-A-A-A-A-D-D-D-Y
Space-Space-Space
T-7-Space
Continue on thy merry way...!
Most combats can be resolved in about 2 seconds :mrgreen:
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » May 2nd, 2017, 6:06 pm

thebruce wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 6:48 am
Most combats can be resolved in about 2 seconds :mrgreen:
Not on a C64 it couldn't. Doubt it could on any of the original platforms. In fact, it was painfully slow in hindsight, some fights taking numerous minutes to resolve, not seconds. My point is that statement is pretty much pointless. Of course a game that is over 30 years old, being played on a modern machine, actions can be processed in seconds. The game's combat consists of simple, single step, command entries, a picture, and math. Every enemy was exactly the same essentially. Every damage was the same. What's been presented so far is a deeper system which, hopefully, requires more thought than attack, attack, attack, cast XXXX, attack, go. Your statement may not be entirely serious (I sure hope not O.o) but you are comparing apples and oranges with that.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » May 2nd, 2017, 7:40 pm

Well, first, I was exaggerating.
And second, I played BT1-3 on DOS and Amiga, and they did take much much shorter than the video. Read my example combat without pausing, and that's about as fast as most quick combats progressed when I played.
So yes, I was serious about the speed, while exaggerating about the "2 seconds" (which is clearly untrue).
@thebruce0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 2nd, 2017, 9:24 pm

Lucius wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 6:06 pm
Not on a C64 it couldn't.
Sure it could. You could speed up the text to unreadable speeds pretty easily. At least, in BT3 you could.
Gizmo wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 1:08 am
Everything should come with a cost and effect.
The hypothetical already had a cost. I mean, you know what a HIRELING is, right? You're already paying them. For most of us, that already is a cost. Randomly adding on AI theft is just pointlessly being a dick to the player.

Honestly, the more I read, the more it feels like you feel the player should be brutally punished for daring to play the game. Do your mods for Grimrock delete the player's hard drive if they die? Perhaps send an electrical surge to burn their house down?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 2nd, 2017, 9:51 pm

Drool wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 9:24 pm
Honestly, the more I read, the more it feels like you feel the player should be brutally punished for daring to play the game. Do your mods for Grimrock delete the player's hard drive if they die? Perhaps send an electrical surge to burn their house down?
So if you were playing a game like Witcher [more or less], and the PC strikes a deal with a tavern lout to fleece the deceased in a few rooms upstairs... To you it would not seem naive of the PC to put blind faith in a mercenary stranger for hire (with no qualms against to robbing the dead before the city watch shows up)? It wouldn't seem incredulous if the hireling never tried to keep anything back?

*That is example of what breaks suspension of disbelief for me. One wouldn't likely find a hireling that would do that job, but with the moral/ethics to be honest about it. They probably exist, but what are the odds that the PC finds such a one?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 3rd, 2017, 9:46 pm

Gizmo wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 9:51 pm
So if you were playing a game like Witcher [more or less], and the PC strikes a deal with a tavern lout to fleece the deceased in a few rooms upstairs... To you it would not seem naive of the PC to put blind faith in a mercenary stranger for hire (with no qualms against to robbing the dead before the city watch shows up)? It wouldn't seem incredulous if the hireling never tried to keep anything back?
It's an abstraction. And you're paying the hireling. The hireling wouldn't be getting anything if the party hadn't hired them. And running around behind a group of toughs picking up money is far easier than being on a vanguard.

But, sure. Let's add another cost. Borrow from Torchlight and put a timer on them running to town and back.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

GoonieOfDoom
Initiate

Post by GoonieOfDoom » June 5th, 2017, 4:52 pm

im sure most every true bards tale fan.. of the original series from the 80s.. would say.. the art from the map that was inside the box cover.. that would be my vote.. mixed with that art that shows the ruins under skara brae. in that newer art for bards tale 4.. should run that thru entire game.. books an all.. sets the mood perfectly . mood as in a serious dungeon crawler an one to respect and appreciate.. not another humorous type like that bt game from 2004.. bleh.. to be taken serious.. be serious... thx

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 5th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Good point, the artwork in the game manual and content really set a mood for a serious dungeon crawler; good mystery, fantasy... definitely no comedic ambiance given by the art direction. In the classics the only humour really was in some of the easter eggs. So it comes back again to BT4's 'feel', and that it's hopefully more like BT1-3 than BT2004's spoof.
@thebruce0

ZiN
Explorer

Post by ZiN » June 6th, 2017, 5:28 am

The box-art imagery on the classics are fascinating and perhaps could somehow be incorporated into the game:

I find the "world map" of BT3 quite charming as well:

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 6th, 2017, 5:59 am

I like it because it's small scale and you can see details of what the locations are actually like, somewhat like the Might & Magic maps.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

demeisen
Acolyte

Post by demeisen » June 6th, 2017, 7:36 am

thebruce wrote:
June 5th, 2017, 7:26 pm
definitely no comedic ambiance given by the art direction. In the classics the only humour really was in some of the easter eggs. ... it's hopefully more like BT1-3 than BT2004's spoof.
^^ Bears repeating. I disliked the flippant voiced lines in the recent demo videos, for example. I hope the final game will have a tone befitting a more serious dungeon crawler, from GUI and art style, to voice work, to general in-game ambiance. Occasional dry humor can augment that, but should be used judiciously. If the overall package ends up with a silly vibe, that's a bit off-putting. I never even bought the 2004 game, though I was aware of it at the time. I backed BT4 largely due to seeing that the original KS demo video moved back towards the tone of the originals.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 6th, 2017, 11:03 am

demeisen wrote:
June 6th, 2017, 7:36 am
I hope the final game will have a tone befitting a more serious dungeon crawler, from GUI and art style, to voice work, to general in-game ambiance.
That ^^ bears repeating as well.

Loveblanket
Initiate

Post by Loveblanket » July 8th, 2017, 9:02 am

So I registered just to comment here. I'm looking forward to Bard's Tale 4, but the interface is hideous. It looks like someone took a beautiful painting of a world and then slapped a bad 1980's Saturday morning cartoon over it. Lords of Xulima's combat interface would be a better example, or pull back and show our characters on the battlefield, though it may be too late for that in terms of development. The current interface looks completely out of place with the rest of the game, from the tron like grid lines to the characters looking like they are from the old D&D cartoon. At least give us much better looking, preferably 3D modeled, characters and make the grid lines sort of just small whisps of smoke. I know it seems like a petty thing to nitpick, but combat is the primary activity in almost all rpg's so we will be looking at this constantly and it's so bad it's the difference between a buy and a wait for massive sale or just passing by. It looks like a photoshop of two completely different games. Sorry, I know someone designed that and loves it, they're just wrong and I'm just trying to give honest feedback. It's brings the beautiful world design down. The best interface is one that you don't notice and fits seamlessly into the game world and this ain't it.