What's your favorite art style for RPG Menus?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

_noblesse_oblige_
Adventurer

Re: What's your favorite art style for RPG Menus?

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 27th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Horrorscope wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 8:44 am
For TB games in the Wiz8 mold, the only major thing that is a pain in Wiz8 by the way. Is you want the fewest clicks possible to make your combat move for each character. So ideally as each character has their TB moment, the UI will display all their possible actions on screen, one click to choose and perhaps one to point and done. Keep it quick, that to me is the secret behind keeping TB fun, make the UI elegant so fast clicking moves it along, in most fights your mind can be move(s) ahead, the UI insetting in the way, slowing things down is a drag to me.
I prefer being able to use the keyboard - that is a faster command entry method for me. But, if your argument is about streamlining the user experience so that people can achieve their aims without a lot of unnecessary clicks or key presses, then I agree. Raw speed will come of that. But, I also want fights to be enjoyable so that I don't feel the need to speed through them. Fights can be enjoyable without requiring complicated UI manipulation. That's the key part for me.
cmibl<enter>

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 5th, 2018, 4:06 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 3:05 pm
Horrorscope wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 8:44 am
You want the fewest clicks possible.
I prefer being able to use the keyboard.
Same here. Whatever the design of the game, a good UI maximizes results while minimizing user input. Gizmo is correct that a complex game shouldn't be dumbed down to make it one-click simple; but those many options should be available as quickly and easily as possible. And yes, a keyboard will always be faster for a proficient user than any series of mouse-driven menus. (A good game will fully support both input methods.)

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 5th, 2018, 6:06 am

Or provide the ability for people to set their own keyboard shortcuts or macros.

Especially if the only other option is to move a mouse cursor to open a mini menu with 2 options requiring precise motion and multiple interactions, when a single keypress would suffice.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Brian the Fist
Novice

Post by Brian the Fist » June 5th, 2018, 12:45 pm

DukeKingston wrote:
March 23rd, 2017, 4:21 pm

What's your favorite art style for RPG Menus, such as character sheets, inventory, skill trees, etc?

Do you like big full screen menus or smaller floating windows? Do you like 2D UI or UI that feels like it's in the world? What aesthetic themes do you feel would fit well for The Bard's Tale? You can even post pictures of your favorite looking RPG UI.

I'll try to make where I am as I read the comments, so you know yours has been seen. Happy posting!
I will be happy with just about any direction you take on the menus and/or UI .... AS LONG AS IT IS SCALABLE. The ability to play on a 21:9 monitor, or even triple monitors with nVidia surround or eyefinity is best. -> https://www.pcgamer.com/the-features-pc ... -gamers/2/
You face 99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers.

Does your stalwart band [F]ight or [R]un?

Spectralshade
Novice

Post by Spectralshade » July 19th, 2018, 11:56 am

you need to allow for a larger margin of "error" when using popup menus from the inventory. add some invisible area at the top of the menus where even if the mouse is not exactly on the menu when leaving the inventory icon, it doesn't close the menu.

Right now it is too much of a precision contest when trying to use the menus from the inventory screen.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » July 19th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Spectralshade wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 11:56 am
you need to allow for a larger margin of "error" when using popup menus from the inventory. add some invisible area at the top of the menus where even if the mouse is not exactly on the menu when leaving the inventory icon, it doesn't close the menu. Right now it is too much of a precision contest when trying to use the menus from the inventory screen.
Yeah. It feels a bit like adventure games where there's a piece of dental floss you have to pick up that's one pixel wide, you can't just put the cursor near it, you have to put the exact point of the cursor arrow so it's touching the one pixel of floss. Except here if you miss the menu closes entirely and you have to start over. I accidentally closed menus about as often as I successfully used them during the beta.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 19th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Why not just mimick pretty standard context menu functionality? Leave it open until a click is triggered elsewhere?
Tooltip-style context menus are a pain, and only really viable in certain contexts or UI structures.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0