Any new Bard's Tale IV news???

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

ZZGO
Acolyte

Re: Any new Bard's Tale IV news???

Post by ZZGO » February 3rd, 2017, 12:45 am

We'll have to agree to disagree on your fears/expectations for BT4 there. ;) I'm still looking forward to the final result.

Y'know, thinking about it... on a perfect day Burger Becky would send me an email and ask me to give the first three parts a "Plus Edition" workover before they're re-released. Essentially the same game and storyline, but with enough small changes to render existing walkthroughs useless: No changes to the game rules or engine as such, but small changes to dungeon maps here and there, additional riddles, perhaps even one or two extra dungeon levels or dungeons. You'd have to re-do the exploration and dungeon mapping all over again, which would dramatically increase the replay value without changing the actual gameplay experience. (No, the Review Board stays exactly where it is in BT1. Having to actually find that was a bummer.)
But that would still make them retro games, not a Part IV from 2018(ish).

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 3rd, 2017, 8:21 pm

ZZGO wrote:But I very much preferred the nail-biting low-level combat in the first few dungeons of Skara Brae. The combat system worked best there, where you had real choices to make (like, do I graduate my Conjurer and Magician into two Sorcerors, two Wizards, or one of each?) and where all character classes still mattered and made a difference.
I actually have some agreement with you here. However, I don't think that any imbalances from later in the game warrant throwing out the entire mechanics or experience of the game and making a new, radically-different one. Fixing imbalances is doable while preserving the mechanics of the original game. Likewise, the original UI has some inefficiencies in terms of inventory management and other common actions - those inefficiencies can be streamlined away without throwing out the entire way in which the game presents information or a user interacts with it.

The original games were not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they stand apart as something special and appealing by what they brought together at the time of their release and what they bring today. I really, really don't understand this desire to draw on other games from outside the series in an attempt to modernize its latest incarnation. What does it even mean to be a modern game?
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 3rd, 2017, 10:29 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:What does it even mean to be a modern game?
Judging by the Steam Store front page, it seems to involve pixels.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Alation
Novice

Post by Alation » February 4th, 2017, 3:59 am

My guess is that it is called Bards Tale IV for the same reason we got Wasteland 2 instead of Fallout Tactics 2. Most likely it is for a combination of the universe lore and old school nostalgia. The game that actually continued from Bards Tale III was Dragon Wars, you could even import your characters (Who then had their levels and power nerfed to the extreme). They also had a "sequal" to wasteland, if you want to try it, get your hands on a copy of Fountain of Dreams.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 4th, 2017, 9:11 am

Drool wrote:If they want to innovate, then use a new property. Why use the Bard's Tale property if you're going to toss the setting, the mechanics, the classes, the races, the combat, and the style of game?
I often said the same thing about FO3 and Bethesda; the answer was money from a larger [unrelated] audience.
marceror wrote:Regarding the remaster, it seems that inXile signed a poorly drafted contract that stipulated that the developer would be paid upon completion, but apparently had no date by which she was required to deliver. So I guess she's not motivated to prioritize this project because she's "not sure when she'll get paid" (when she completes it, duh), and so she just works on it in her "spare time". Maybe one day it will be delivered, if the stars align properly. This is why writing good and detailed contracts is very important.
Where did you find this out? Many weeks back, I speculated that it may have been 'on completion' ~of the entire project, rather than by milestone, with payments on the completion of each game; which would allow a person to eat along the way, rather than starve themselves all the way thorough to the end, until the feast; if they make it there. :|

Infinitron
Adventurer

Post by Infinitron » February 7th, 2017, 3:07 am

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/8 ... 2395204608
I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback on the Bard's Tale 4 video tomorrow.