Character Age

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Character Age

Post by Crosmando » June 7th, 2016, 12:45 am

I think this would be cool, making an old character gives them more Wisdom and they gain XP faster but less Con/Str/Dex, while a young character would be the opposite. Elves would obviously be exempt from this system.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Sacred_Path
Scholar

Re: Character Age

Post by Sacred_Path » June 7th, 2016, 6:27 am

wouldn't this result in all mages being old and all warriors being young?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 7th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Kinda like 2nd Ed D&D? Eh. I kinda liked how age didn't matter in BT outside of "OLD" from withering spells.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 7th, 2016, 5:38 pm

Doesn't seem necessary, assuming we have some control over character stats. If you want a wise, weak character, give them a low STR and high WIS.

Also it seems strange to suggest that older people learn faster than younger people. I'd say an older character should start out with bonus levels and higher mental stats, but get xp at a slower rate.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » June 7th, 2016, 8:05 pm

The other thing to point out is that there was no Wisdom stat in the original BT. There was a Luck stat but not a Wisdom stat. My hope is that Luck will make a reappearance, in keeping with the earlier tradition.
cmibl<enter>

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » June 8th, 2016, 1:03 am

Crosmando wrote:I think this would be cool, making an old character gives them more Wisdom and they gain XP faster but less Con/Str/Dex, while a young character would be the opposite. Elves would obviously be exempt from this system.
the XP part makes no sense, as people learn faster when they are young not the other way around.

in general a pretty cool idea but only if it a rather "small" effect and we would have to make it work in a way that they are balanced, then im all for it.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » June 9th, 2016, 11:21 am

I'd just let this be an aesthetic and have no bearing on stats considering this particular game.

Nekot-The-Brave
Scholar

Post by Nekot-The-Brave » August 25th, 2016, 4:59 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:
Crosmando wrote:I think this would be cool, making an old character gives them more Wisdom and they gain XP faster but less Con/Str/Dex, while a young character would be the opposite. Elves would obviously be exempt from this system.
the XP part makes no sense, as people learn faster when they are young not the other way around.

in general a pretty cool idea but only if it a rather "small" effect and we would have to make it work in a way that they are balanced, then im all for it.
Generally the Wisdom stat/attribute in games give the character bonus xp (percentage %) when xp is gained. It was like this for games like Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and a lot of other games. I believe that's where the 'gain xp faster' is coming from in his post not specifically that old people learn faster, but just as a mechanical rule that's how it has worked in the past.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » August 26th, 2016, 12:16 am

I would love the idea of a RPG when you can play very young or very old characters, but more than pure mechanical adjustment to rules, it should affect the reaction of NPCs, the way you can solve certain quests, the way companions will treat you, ... which probably make it too much work :s

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » August 26th, 2016, 5:36 am

Nekot-The-Brave wrote:
Lord of Riva wrote:

Generally the Wisdom stat/attribute in games give the character bonus xp (percentage %) when xp is gained. It was like this for games like Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and a lot of other games. I believe that's where the 'gain xp faster' is coming from in his post not specifically that old people learn faster, but just as a mechanical rule that's how it has worked in the past.
haha.

i guarantee you that old does not mean wise and that is something he said.

Every day i get older i learn that the wisdom is in the young ones , not the old its really strange that society does not understand it.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 26th, 2016, 8:12 am

I think generally speaking, wisdom does indeed come with age. But so does stubbornness and ego; which, some might say, are contrary to wisdom. Are we talking intelligence? Life experience? Compassion? Wisdom can be kind of a vague term if you're looking at specifics. And that's why I'll still agree that wisdom does come with age. How it's used, well that depends on character. :P
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 15th, 2017, 5:15 pm

thebruce wrote:I think generally speaking, wisdom does indeed come with age. But so does stubbornness and ego; which, some might say, are contrary to wisdom.
I think that's just their personality ~not a result of their age. Though I have found that being the youngest on a team will often cause the older members to discount a younger opinion ~even when they aren't sure of the issues. :lol:
Are we talking intelligence? Life experience? Compassion? Wisdom can be kind of a vague term if you're looking at specifics. And that's why I'll still agree that wisdom does come with age. How it's used, well that depends on character. :P
Intelligence would seem the understanding of how; while Wisdom seems the understanding of when [if ever].