Early Viewing of The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Rewards - UPDATE 5/21

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

de Monteynard
Initiate

Re: Early Viewing of The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Rewards - UPDATE 5/20

Post by de Monteynard » May 20th, 2015, 9:34 am

RangerKeenan wrote:We're keeping a close eye on this thread and will continue to do so and make tweaks as necessary. Please continue the discussions as it's helpful for us to get these things nailed down before we open it up to a larger audience.
Could you please provide some more info on the basic physical reward (Collector's Album Box)? I realise you want to reward people who back at a higher tier and that you appear to be be repeating the TToN system where the cheapest physical reward only gets you the game and the manual, but this is only pushing people into either a higher ($95 Premier Collector) or lower tier ($50 All Downloadable Superpack). If forced to make a choice in a constrained economic environment, more people are going to go for a less expensive pledge that yields them more benefits, even if accounting for nostalgia.

I also fully support the call for $20 early bird and $25 regular KS price for the game plus manual. The current proposal seems to be inflating prices, with what cost $35 in the previous two Kickstarters, now costing $50. Sensible prices are as much a core part of a successful KS as the presentation/idea behind it.

Gauldoth
Scholar

Post by Gauldoth » May 20th, 2015, 9:39 am

I believe beta access should be included in the $40 or $50 tier if you want to, eventually sell it on steam early access. Also the amount of people to help the development will be considerable higher

sirchaox1224
Novice

Re: Early Viewing of The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Rewards

Post by sirchaox1224 » May 20th, 2015, 9:47 am

-Archangel- wrote:Also the 33$ is too much considering TToN website pledge is 35$ and web site pledge after KS campaigns are more expensive
This is a good point. Let's think about post KS. How much are you guys planning to sell the game for between KS and release? How much will the release price be? It seems to me that $33 just doesn't sound right as a normal entry tier level for KS. I'm not even sure if $30 is right anymore. $25 seems right to me for a KS game that is coming out at $60 at release, especially considering these games go on sale shortly after release sometimes.

This doesn't really concern me as I'm likely pledging above the norm. But I want to echo that I'm here because of the weight inXile brings, not The Bard's Tale. I think those that are familiar with neither might be looking at this KS after the success of WL2; I don't think they will be swayed with a $25/$33 pledge level, but $20/$25 sounds much more reasonable for them. Those lower levels are much more friendly to newcomers.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » May 20th, 2015, 10:19 am

Ok, the box types are a little confusing on the physical tiers...

1. Collector's Album Box
2. Premier Collector's Edition
3. Signed Premier Collector's Edition
4. Ultimate Collector's Reliquary Box

There seems to be a mix and match at various tiers of each of these.
Which are upgrades and which are separate items that can both be included in a tier?
eg, 3 would be an upgrade of 2. Does 4 include 2 or 3, and 1? Is 1 a separate item besides 2 and 3?

Here's how it looks:

$65 Collector's Album Box
$95 Premier (no Collector's Album Box)
$185 Premier (no Collector's Album Box)
$350 Premier (no Collector's Album Box)
$400 Signed Premier (no Collector's Album Box)
$500 Ultimate Reliquary (no Collector's Album Box, or Signed Premier)
$650 Ultimate Reliquary, Signed Premier, and Collector's Album
$750 Signed Premier, Collector's Album (no Reliquary)
$1000 Signed Premier, Collector's Album (no Reliquary)
$1600 Signed Premier, Collector's Album (no Reliquary)
$2000 Ultimate Reliquary, Signed Premier, Collector's Album
$5000 Ultimate Reliquary, Signed Premier, Collector's Album
$10000 Ultimate Reliquary, Signed Premier, Collector's Album

Is that accurate?
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Braccia
Initiate

Post by Braccia » May 20th, 2015, 10:43 am

I'm very excited to contribute. I'm also interested in the prospect of stretch goals.

My feedback is that the options now, while filled with fun stuff--I'm at least going in for $200--feel a little block & tackle for gaming pre-sale. Keep what you've got, but there's an opportunity to make some additions.

Every Kickstarter program/campaign needs to feel like a party. Every party needs favors.

Where are the Ybarra Shield t-shirts?
The "Two Minutes, We're Waking Up the Monsters" T-Shirts?
Shirts for Roscoe and the Energy Emporium? For The Review Board?
Chick Tract-style comics that work to seduce you into The Mad God Tarjan's Religion?
Skara Brae Travel Posters?
Custom 2-D Digital Character Portrait Images and Ani-Gifs in the 16-bit Amiga/Apple IIGS style?

I could go on and on.

My point is that there should be ways for lifetime fans to bond and celebrate the entirety of the franchise in a manner that transcends traditional pre-sales. This will lead to greater amplification in communities during the campaign.

I'm not even that hardcore, but TBT was my first RPG when I was 9 or 10 and this is the Kickstarter I have been waiting for. And I know I'm not alone.

Throw us a party.

Sincerely,

99 Berserkers

eightbits
Acolyte

Post by eightbits » May 20th, 2015, 11:01 am

I still don't see a way to get the Reliquary Box if I pledge above Supreme Box Collector. This is one of the things I have seen all over Kickstarter that bothers me: tiers that don't allow you to pledge above them and still get those items. Sometimes it cannot be helped. For instance, I don't see it being a good idea to give Revelers and Barflys access to Morgan to each work on a song. That would probably overload Morgan! However, for physical rewards like a boxed version of the game, I think there is room for improvement.

Indiegogo allows you to pledge as many times as you want so you could back at both Musician and Supreme Box Collector and actually get both tiers of rewards. Since Kickstarter doesn't allow this, it would be great if another way of handling it were found.

I think making sure something like the Reliquary Box appears in all *limited quantity* tiers that are priced higher than it would still allow people to pledge higher and still get it while you still get to retain control over the quantity. Since it would only be available in the limited quantity tiers, you'd still know ahead of time how many were needed.

Another idea might be to keep the tiers the same, but if you pledge in a higher-level limited-quantity tier, you get the option to add the Reliquary Box to your pledge as an add-on. This could be done for all limited quantity tiers where the limit is not on someone's time, but on a physical item.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Early Viewing of The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Rewards

Post by Zombra » May 20th, 2015, 11:13 am

sirchaox1224 wrote:This doesn't really concern me as I'm likely pledging above the norm. But I want to echo that I'm here because of the weight inXile brings, not The Bard's Tale. I think those that are familiar with neither might be looking at this KS after the success of WL2; I don't think they will be swayed with a $25/$33 pledge level, but $20/$25 sounds much more reasonable for them. Those lower levels are much more friendly to newcomers.
I'm dittoing this as it resonates with me personally. I'm in for at least the minimum no matter what it is, but that's loyalty to inXile, not to the BT brand or blobbers or RPGs in general. (I have a huge backlog right now!) Of course, I am expecting some good salesmanship on the KS pitch, so that should draw in people too - but again, the main appeal there is to impulse buys and hype train jumpers who will have a lower tipping point against pledging. Frankly, when I see a $30 barrier of entry on any game KS, I start to tune out, and often I don't even watch the pitch video at that point. I know that if I hear good things about the release years later, I can probably get it for close to that price at that time, so why take the risk now? But I've pledged for plenty of $5 and $10s without even really knowing what they are. Gotta find that sweet spot.

P.S. I love the philosophy behind the Pirate tier, but it seems weird to have that as the basic "get the game" tier. Make it a dollar more or something.

Balls Out 3
Scholar

Post by Balls Out 3 » May 20th, 2015, 11:32 am

Did someone say bard puns? How about, "No Holds Bard"! :roll:

jlariviere
Initiate

Post by jlariviere » May 20th, 2015, 11:36 am

Ouch, this is going to hurt the wallet... Probably going to have to make sure I save up for the $50 level. Decent pricing on the levels, although the $25 is higher than I'd expect, at least for an Early Bird type of thing.
I like having both Physical and Electronic rewards available.
Will you be allowing Add-ons also? I missed the physical cloth map with one of my other games I backed, and I wish I didn't!

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » May 20th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Singled out the Premier Collector's Edition for me. Like the idea of the BTI - III novellas and the physical goodies seem great too. And it's about the amount I can justify spending for a game + some (hopefully) exclusive extras.

The $65 "regular" physical edition seems to be a bit too expensive for what's included, especially with shipping (and customs) added on top. Given that these kind of games end up physically in stores for less* anyway, it's just not very appealing.

As others said, a $25 early bird tier seems a bit pricey too. OTOH, 'limited" to 20000 copies, this might not even be an issue at all. TToN had about 27000 backers for the base tier (15000 early bird + 12000 late), but I would assume that the interest for BT4 is not as high as it was for TToN. We'll see come June :-).

Siperos
Initiate

Post by Siperos » May 20th, 2015, 12:26 pm

I was eager to donate enough to get a physical signed collector's edition copy of this game because I'm a huge fan of Brian Fargo and his team but I must admit that I'm quite shocked to see that "Signed Premier Collector's Edition" tier is $400. Wasteland 2's signed collector's edition was $250 + $20 international shipping costs. Why is this game's signed collector's edition's price so much higher?

sirchaox1224
Novice

Post by sirchaox1224 » May 20th, 2015, 12:40 pm

kaiman wrote:...but I would assume that the interest for BT4 is not as high as it was for TToN. We'll see come June :-).
I'm also unsure, but I think people will follow this if they are a fan of inXile, old school games, and/or party-based dungeon crawls. I never played the originals (they came out around the time I was born :shock: ), but I do love all three of those things and want to see a modern take on the party-based first person adventure game (something like a modern M&M7 or W8). And don't skimp on the story (where I feel those prior games were somewhat lacking)! :)

Skirge01
Novice

Post by Skirge01 » May 20th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Siperos wrote:I was eager to donate enough to get a physical signed collector's edition copy of this game because I'm a huge fan of Brian Fargo and his team but I must admit that I'm quite shocked to see that "Signed Premier Collector's Edition" tier is $400. Wasteland 2's signed collector's edition was $250 + $20 international shipping costs. Why is this game's signed collector's edition's price so much higher?
They probably got tired of their hands cramping from signing thousands of boxes. :lol:

nitrium
Initiate

Post by nitrium » May 20th, 2015, 2:26 pm

As a backer of both W2 and ToN, count me in as another who thinks $25 is too high an entry point - especially given the USD is trading much higher against most currencies (e.g. Euro) than it was during inXile's previous KS campaigns, making the total cost significantly greater. Like many other's here I'm also not a fan of Early Birds - a great deal of the planet is sleeping when the Kickstarter launches and getting up at 3am to back a project is just wrong.

BriantheFist
Initiate

Post by BriantheFist » May 20th, 2015, 3:43 pm

All those complaining on the prices, keep in mind Wasteland 2 was their first. And Torment came out while they were still working on Wasteland 2. Odds are, like many Kickstarters, no one involved had dealt with this kind of thing before. It wasn't just producing a game but dealing with all the side stuff and physical rewards. This is the first game they are producing after having gone through the process completely. I'd love to get everything cheaper, but if it is going to hurt the quality of the physical goodies I'd rather pay a bit more.

huxi
Initiate

Post by huxi » May 20th, 2015, 3:44 pm

I'm pretty sure the campaign will start 2015-06-02T13:00:00Z, i.e. 1pm UTC (3pm Germany), afternoon in Europe & morning in US.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The above assumes that the counter on https://bardstale.inxile-entertainment.com/ is correct.
Brian Fargo said something similar in http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/3168 ... ian+Fargo/

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 20th, 2015, 3:56 pm

BriantheFist wrote:All those complaining on the prices, keep in mind Wasteland 2 was their first. And Torment came out while they were still working on Wasteland 2. Odds are, like many Kickstarters, no one involved had dealt with this kind of thing before. It wasn't just producing a game but dealing with all the side stuff and physical rewards. This is the first game they are producing after having gone through the process completely. I'd love to get everything cheaper, but if it is going to hurt the quality of the physical goodies I'd rather pay a bit more.
Well ... to be fair ... I'm not seeing a lot of people "complaining" about the prices. I think we're mostly fans here and $5 either way isn't going to make or break my pledge. I think we're just concerned that a higher barrier of entry is going to be a significant turnoff for the great unwashed out there whose dollars we all want to see roll in. Your comments about the learning curve on this process are appreciated, though. :)

As for the physical rewards ... I don't like the idea at all that my basic digital only pledge dollars would go towards buying thicker cardboard for trinket enthusiasts, instead of to the game itself. That's a terrible justification for a high basic price point.

eightbits
Acolyte

Post by eightbits » May 20th, 2015, 4:24 pm

The justification for the price point is that quality and scope of the game increases. Those backing for physical goods are definitely covering the costs of those goods and then some! I don't think any pledges for digital will be spent fulfilling physical rewards.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 20th, 2015, 4:36 pm

eightbits wrote:The justification for the price point is that quality and scope of the game increases.
By that logic, the minimum pledge should be a million dollars - then the game would be incredible, right? :roll:

A higher average pledge isn't a good thing if it means fewer pledges.
Those backing for physical goods are definitely covering the costs of those goods and then some! I don't think any pledges for digital will be spent fulfilling physical rewards.
I don't think so either, but BriantheFist seemed to believe this a good justification for a higher minimum.

eightbits
Acolyte

Post by eightbits » May 20th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Zombra wrote:By that logic, the minimum pledge should be a million dollars - then the game would be incredible, right? :roll:
:roll: