Early Viewing of The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Rewards - UPDATE 5/21

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Early Viewing of The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Rewards - UPDATE 5/21

Post by thebruce » May 21st, 2015, 2:42 pm

*applause* for being so responsive!
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

huxi
Initiate

Post by huxi » May 21st, 2015, 2:59 pm

Good move!

sirchaox1224
Novice

Post by sirchaox1224 » May 21st, 2015, 3:12 pm

Great news, thanks for the update, Chris!

I hope there will be a good break down between these early tiers. I see that there is currently 3 different pledge levels for the base game ($20/$25/$30); there needs to be a fair number of $20 and $25 slots to make this work, IMO. Maybe something like 5000 $20 and 10000 $25; that leaves a lot of room for people who are joining late to pick up an open lower slot. The $30 may exist, but I think at that price point people will probably be enticed into pledging a bit more for extras or simply waiting for a slot to open, so I doubt this pledge level will get much traction (but that's not really important).

Anyway, this is just based off of what I've seen before in other KS projects. Here's hoping for a highly successful campaign!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 21st, 2015, 3:57 pm

sirchaox1224 wrote:I hope there will be a good break down between these early tiers. I see that there is currently 3 different pledge levels for the base game ($20/$25/$30); there needs to be a fair number of $20 and $25 slots to make this work, IMO. Maybe something like 5000 $20 and 10000 $25; that leaves a lot of room for people who are joining late to pick up an open lower slot. The $30 may exist, but I think at that price point people will probably be enticed into pledging a bit more for extras or simply waiting for a slot to open, so I doubt this pledge level will get much traction (but that's not really important).
Right now I see
Early Bard gets the Wyrm -$20 (15,000) - Early Bard
Early Bard -$25 (10,000) - Early Bard
Downloadable The Bard's Tale IV -$30 (10,000)
I'm guessing that means that there are 15K $20 slots available and 10K $25 slots. Not sure why the $30 tier would also only have 10K slots, but hey.

sirchaox1224
Novice

Post by sirchaox1224 » May 21st, 2015, 4:08 pm

My blindness skill has increased.

So it looks like the lowest will also be the biggest. At those numbers, I think that works just fine, for my prior reasons. People who feel ill about paying more than the early bird can always wait for a slot to open (which always happens!). I hope that most of the true fans will keep $20 slots open for newcomers. I also hope to see this campaign break WL2's record, though I'm not sure about Torment yet; really have to "WOW" us with that pitch. I'm not too worried though... inXile's pitch videos are probably my favorite. :)

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » May 22nd, 2015, 7:10 am

Ok here's a physical tiers organization that I think is a little easier to look at, IMO :) Reward items are re-organized a bit and grouped for easier comparison.
This way doesn't list every single item explicitly, it's really just to more easily see the difference between tiers... at least to my eyes, heh

All tiers receive:
  • Forum Badge
Collector's Album Box - $65
For the old-school collector! This high-quality LP-style box is based on the classic Bard's Tale box, and comes with a high-quality printed game manual.
  • The Bard's Tale IV (Digital)
  • The Bard's Tale IV Collector's Album Box (Physical)
  • The Bard's Tale IV Manual (Physical + Digital)
All following tiers also include:
Package of Bard's Tale bonus items (these either appear all together or not at all in the tiers below):
  • The Bard's Tale IV Cloth Map (Physical + Digital)
  • The Bard's Tale IV Art Book (Physical + Digital)
  • The Bard's Tale IV Original Soundtrack (Physical + Digital)
  • The Bard's Tale IV Songbook (Physical + Digital)
  • The Bard's Tale IV Strategy Guide (Digital)
  • The Bard's Tale I-III Novellas 3-Pack (Digital)
  • The Bard's Tale IV Novellas 3-Pack (Digital)
  • The Bard's Tale IV High-Res Wallpapers (Digital)
  • The Bard's Tale IV Manual (Physical + Digital)
  • Name in The Bard's Tale IV Credits
Premier Collector's Edition - $95 - Early Bard
A high-quality premium collector's edition box. In addition to a larger box design, this also comes with printed manual, a cloth map of the game world, a printed concept art book showcasing the game's art, a CD copy of the game's original soundtrack, digital songbook, more digital goodies. Also includes your name in the backer credits and beta test access!
  • The Bard's Tale IV Premier Collector's Edition (Physical)
  • The Bard's Tale IV Beta Test Access
Premier Collector's Edition + Alpha/Beta Test -$185
For the collector that wants to go behind the scenes! In addition to the Premier Collector's Edition reward tier, this also comes with alpha test access and a printed version of the game's songbook!
  • The Bard's Tale IV Alpha Test Access
Loreteller - $350
Bards will tell the tales of your great artifacts for decades to come with this reward tier. Write a description for an artifact or item in the game! Also includes the Premier Collector's Edition + Alpha/Beta Test reward tier contents.
  • Write an item description for the game!
Signed Premier Collector's Edition - $400 - Early Bard
For the collector that wants to own a piece of history. Includes everything in the Premier Collector's Edition + Alpha/Beta Test reward, and your box is signed by key team members of The Bard's Tale development team!
  • The Bard's Tale IV Signed Premier Collector's Edition (Physical)
Ultimate Collector's Reliquary Edition - $500
Old legends speak of an extremely limited Collector's Reliquary Edition box of The Bard's Tale IV that few have seen. This box is hand-carved and numbered for authenticity. Includes all of our main physical and digital rewards, including alpha/beta access and your name in the backer credits.
  • The Bard's Tale IV Ultimate Collector's Reliquary Box – Handcrafted & Numbered (Physical)
Supreme Box Collector - $650
For the collector who just can't get enough stuff to fill up their shelves. This special reward tier contains all of our game boxes (Reliquary, Premier and Album), along with all of the physical and digital goodies to go along with it.
  • The Bard's Tale IV Ultimate Collector's Reliquary Box – Handcrafted & Numbered (Physical)
Relic Crafter - $750
Help fashion an artifact that will be passed on for generations. With this prestigious reward level, you'll work with our designers to create a weapon, piece of armor or usable item that will go right into the game! Also includes the Signed Premier Collector's Edition rewards, the Collector's Album Box, and your name will be written on the Standing Stones of Gratitude for all to see.
  • Work with our designers to create a weapon/armor/usable item!
  • Your name in-game on the Standing Stones of Gratitude!
Sagateller - $1,000
Tell the tale of a character in The Bard's Tale IV! With this reward level you'll be able to work with our designers to create an NPC to inhabit Skara Brae or its dungeons. Also includes the Signed Premier Collector's Edition rewards, the Collector's Album Box, and your name will be written on the Standing Stones of Gratitude for all to see.
  • Work with our designers to create an NPC in the game!
Puzzle Master - $1,500
Players the world over will curse your devious ways! With this reward, you'll craft a puzzle with our designers to confound even the most stalwart of adventuring parties. Also includes the Signed Premier Collector's Edition rewards, the Collector's Album Box, and your name will be written on the Standing Stones of Gratitude for all to see.
  • Work with our designers to create a puzzle found in one of our dungeons! In-game lore will name you as the creator!
Til Death Do Us Part - $1,600
Sometimes, it's not death that adventures tell of, but love. You can feature NPC versions of you and your significant other right in the game with this reward level. Also includes the Signed Premier Collector's Edition rewards, the Collector's Album Box, and your name will be written on the Standing Stones of Gratitude for all to see.
  • Work with our designers to add you and your significant other to the game! In case of divorce or separation, we'll remove your ex for no cost!
Musician's Tier - $2,000
While it's tales that tell, it's songs that inspire. With this reward level you'll work with renowned Fallout, Wasteland, and Torment composer Mark Morgan to help create a song for the game! Also includes the Signed Premier Collector's Edition rewards, the Collector's Album Box, and your name will be written on the Standing Stones of Gratitude for all to see.
  • Work with Mark Morgan on a Bard's song!
Be a Barfly - $5,000
Pull up a chair and join the party for a pint of ale – digitally! In this reward level, we'll 3D model your real-life face and place you as an NPC in one of the game's taverns! Also includes the Ultimate Collector's Reliquary Box, Signed Premier Collector's Edition, the Collector's Album Box, Relic Crafter (item design) reward, and your name will be written on the Standing Stones of Gratitude for all to see.
  • The Bard's Tale IV Ultimate Collector's Reliquary Box – Signed, Handcrafted & Numbered (Physical)
  • Your likeness (including face) as an NPC in a tavern!
Exclusive Revelers' Festival - $10,000
Pull up a chair and join the party for a pint of ale with us – physically! In this reward level, we'll not only 3D model your real-life face and place you as an NPC in one of the game's taverns, we'll also get you to come out for the game's launch party! We'll also be sure to throw plenty of social media love and support your way, whether for you or your own project. Also includes the Ultimate Collector's Reliquary Box, Signed Premier Collector's Edition, the Collector's Album Box, Relic Crafter (item design) reward, and your name will be written on the Standing Stones of Gratitude for all to see.
  • The Bard's Tale IV Ultimate Collector's Reliquary Box – Signed, Handcrafted & Numbered (Physical)
  • Join our exclusive launch event!
  • Social media love for you or your pet project!
  • Your likeness (including face) as an NPC in a tavern!
@thebruce0

Skirge01
Novice

Post by Skirge01 » May 22nd, 2015, 7:38 am

I see what you're going for, but I don't think there's a way for them to inject that "all the following tiers include" section between the rewards on the KS page.

I just thought of something. Assuming that there isn't enough room to put EVERYTHING that each reward tier gets into the character limitations of the KS page, what about the spreadsheet infographic detailing everything included with the tiers on one axis and the name of the tiers along the other axis.

So, you put something like this in the campaign section:

Across the top, just add the name of tier (Early Bard, etc). Then, for the reward/tier selection buttons on the right side of the page, just put the name of the tier in the description.
Last edited by Skirge01 on May 22nd, 2015, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » May 22nd, 2015, 7:41 am

No, there isn't; this was just for organizational purposes not a suggestion for actual KS display ;)
@thebruce0

JoelofDeath
Initiate

Post by JoelofDeath » May 22nd, 2015, 9:53 am

Hi Chris,

I haven't read through the last 6 pages, just have a couple comments, sorry if they've already been made.

1. Great job changing the entry price to $20.
2. I see a big gap between the $95 CE and the $400 Signed CE because I'm not particularly interested in alpha/beta access, or really in writing an item. I'd be very interested in a $250-300ish CE with a few more physical items, eg: Physical Novellas (I-III and IV), Poster, T-Shirt, Physical Strategy Guide, etc.

Also, is my understanding correct that you won't be putting a CD of the game into the physical boxes, but just giving a digital code? Cause that actually makes some sense to me.

Just my 2 cents,
Joel

sirchaox1224
Novice

Post by sirchaox1224 » May 22nd, 2015, 10:17 am

Thanks, Bruce, for putting that list together. ;)

@Joel, I believe they are giving us a DVD of the game to keep (in case the world ends and you still need a copy of the game). Also, I imagine a shirt would be part of an add-on update at some point to pump new life part way into the KS. Or maybe it will be announced right away. Only inXile has the master plan...

AngoraFish
Initiate

Post by AngoraFish » May 22nd, 2015, 6:28 pm

For what it's worth, I'd more or less decided to sit out Bard's Tale, however a price point of $20 is enough to get me over the line and back this.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 22nd, 2015, 8:06 pm

AngoraFish wrote:For what it's worth, I'd more or less decided to sit out Bard's Tale, however a price point of $20 is enough to get me over the line and back this.

amigacooke
Initiate

Post by amigacooke » May 23rd, 2015, 3:14 am

Beta access looks a bit pricey in my opinion.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 23rd, 2015, 4:48 am

amigacooke wrote:Beta access looks a bit pricey in my opinion.
Personally, I'm just waiting for the people who will be loudly announcing that they won't be backing because selling alpha/beta access is wrong and evil and endemic of everything wrong with gaming today.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

KeyperOS
Initiate

Post by KeyperOS » May 23rd, 2015, 4:58 pm

FWIW, the very first game I backed was Grim Dawn, I chose a tier that happened to include beta and I must say that so far, I've spent about 213 (or so) hours on it and feel like I've already gotten my money out of it...

shaigunjoe
Explorer

Post by shaigunjoe » May 24th, 2015, 6:51 am

Drool wrote:
Personally, I'm just waiting for the people who will be loudly announcing that they won't be backing because selling alpha/beta access is wrong and evil and endemic of everything wrong with gaming today.
I wouldn't go that far. I mean, if I had gullible fans that would pay to do work for me, I probably would do that too. I think it is a poor choice because I think it would be better to allow those that bought into the game at all to contribute equally across the development cycle.

Amigacooke, I wouldn't look at it as so much beta/alpha though, going by WL2, the game will still be in beta when it is actually released.

huxi
Initiate

Post by huxi » May 25th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Drool wrote:
There's another issue with selling alpha/beta at a high price point:
I'll likely have beta access (aiming for $95 physical at the moment) but I won't use it because I don't want to spoil the game and time is generally a bit of a sparse resource for me - so I'd rather spend that time on the finished game instead.

The opposite will be the case for some other people: not enough money to pay for beta or even alpha access but 110% committed to test the hell out of the game, with enough time to spare.

I'm not in the "OMG, selling alpha is EVIL!" camp but I think you miss valuable volunteers that way.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 25th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Shrug... No one is selling anything. You are donating, and your reward is that access if you choose. You don't have to accept anything.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » May 26th, 2015, 7:43 am

Sooooo.....one week till the Kickstarter. Now would be a great time for another teaser. :D

Skirge01
Novice

Post by Skirge01 » May 26th, 2015, 8:25 am

Lucius wrote:Sooooo.....one week till the Kickstarter. Now would be a great time for another teaser. :D
How's this? :)