Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Post Reply
User avatar
ZiN
Explorer
Posts: 489
Joined: January 27th, 2015, 7:57 am

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by ZiN » June 18th, 2015, 1:06 pm

Yes, M&M6 was a pretty fun game:

+ Fight against huge amounts of different monsters rivaling BT in numbers.
+ Nice world in which you can fly around, and run into areas where you're toast in 2 seconds.
+ Cool Dungeons
- Weird real-time/phased combat, with close to zero tactics involved
- 4 character party
- Limited number of useful spells/abilities

I hope BT4 will be similar in the positives, and different in the negatives! The best game to follow as an example for BT4 would be BT3! :) (Or Wizardry 8, since BT was inspired by Wizardry to begin with and Wiz8 managed to more or less properly "resurrect" the series after 10 years.)

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9196
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by Drool » June 18th, 2015, 8:13 pm

Not too late, etc.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

User avatar
ZiN
Explorer
Posts: 489
Joined: January 27th, 2015, 7:57 am

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by ZiN » June 18th, 2015, 10:48 pm

Let's get straight: Make it 8!

jrodman
Explorer
Posts: 347
Joined: March 13th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by jrodman » June 18th, 2015, 10:50 pm

ZiN wrote:Let's get straight: Make it 8!
Is this an anti-rogue campaign of some kind?

User avatar
thebruce
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1346
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 8:46 am
Contact:

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by thebruce » June 19th, 2015, 7:10 am

Oh good heaven, at least have 7!
You know what'd be great? If it were 8!
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

User avatar
Lucius
Master
Posts: 2252
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by Lucius » June 19th, 2015, 2:24 pm

thebruce wrote:Oh good heaven, at least have 7!
You know what'd be great? If it were 8!
This is win. Likes for you.

User avatar
fabrulana
Initiate
Posts: 4
Joined: June 23rd, 2015, 2:09 am

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by fabrulana » June 25th, 2015, 3:52 am

I'll add Frayed Knights... second game in the works

http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/

EkstasisXI
Novice
Posts: 41
Joined: June 26th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by EkstasisXI » June 26th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Someone already stole my Dark Heart of Uukrul mention, and Shin Megami Tensei, so I might as well focus on some mobile games.

First, from the PSP and 3DS, there is Unchained Blades. I love the game, as it has a unique skill tree, where you have unlock a circle of skills, before unlocking the skill in the center of the circle--similar to Path of Exile, except the middle skill requires all other skills unlocked first.

I am also going to throw down the iOS games "Quest," and "Undercroft," as both have been excellent games, despite being on a mobile platform.

Quest only has one character, but Undercroft has several, and both are magnificent games.

There is also Dark Spire for the DS, if you really like retro. Amazing game!

EDIT: I also forgot to mention Paper Sorcerer, which has an ideal movement/combat system for post-3D blobbers, even though it is a simpler time-waster type game.

User avatar
fabrulana
Initiate
Posts: 4
Joined: June 23rd, 2015, 2:09 am

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by fabrulana » July 1st, 2015, 3:09 am

EkstasisXI wrote:Someone already stole my Dark Heart of Uukrul mention, and Shin Megami Tensei, so I might as well focus on some mobile games.

First, from the PSP and 3DS, there is Unchained Blades. I love the game, as it has a unique skill tree, where you have unlock a circle of skills, before unlocking the skill in the center of the circle--similar to Path of Exile, except the middle skill requires all other skills unlocked first.

I am also going to throw down the iOS games "Quest," and "Undercroft," as both have been excellent games, despite being on a mobile platform.

Quest only has one character, but Undercroft has several, and both are magnificent games.

There is also Dark Spire for the DS, if you really like retro. Amazing game!

EDIT: I also forgot to mention Paper Sorcerer, which has an ideal movement/combat system for post-3D blobbers, even though it is a simpler time-waster type game.
Thanks... I've dusted off my old PSP and got myself a copy of Unchained Blades.

User avatar
Themadcow
Scholar
Posts: 183
Joined: June 9th, 2015, 1:46 am

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by Themadcow » July 1st, 2015, 6:31 am

If you're going to dust off the PSP then might want to have a look at Class of Heroes (2 ideally, although 3 is being localised at some point) too. They're pretty much clones of the Etrian Odyssey series with a Japanese high school twist and...

6 character parties too ;)
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

EkstasisXI
Novice
Posts: 41
Joined: June 26th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by EkstasisXI » July 1st, 2015, 7:17 pm

Themadcow wrote:If you're going to dust off the PSP then might want to have a look at Class of Heroes (2 ideally, although 3 is being localised at some point) too. They're pretty much clones of the Etrian Odyssey series with a Japanese high school twist and...

6 character parties too ;)
I was interested in Class of Heroes 2, up until the point where there is an ability called "Pimp Hand." Talk about breaking immersion.

Also, np with the mention of Unchained Blades. It is one of my favorite games for PSP, though I love the Tactics games, also. Especially Ogre Tactics.

I am also anxious to see how Class of Heroes 3 turns out; and there is a new cyberpunk, grid-based game called Operation Abyss, using gene splicing instead of classes, which was by the makers of Demon's Gaze for the Vita; I am not sure how it turned out, though I've heard a few disappointing reviews, but hey--its another timesink to waste minutes on until Bard's Tale IV arrives.

Also, I totally forgot StarCrawlers.

None of these except Unchained Blades are great; but I am going for completism, not quality.

User avatar
Themadcow
Scholar
Posts: 183
Joined: June 9th, 2015, 1:46 am

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by Themadcow » July 2nd, 2015, 3:42 am

Worth mentioning though that Unchained Blades (and Class of Heroes) are available on the US PSN but not on the EU store... because apparently us UK / European lot hate blobbers eh?

Obv that just means getting yourself a fake US PSN account and funding it usually from PSN top-up codes bought elsewhere on teh internet.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

EkstasisXI
Novice
Posts: 41
Joined: June 26th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by EkstasisXI » July 2nd, 2015, 12:39 pm

Themadcow wrote:Worth mentioning though that Unchained Blades (and Class of Heroes) are available on the US PSN but not on the EU store... because apparently us UK / European lot hate blobbers eh?

Obv that just means getting yourself a fake US PSN account and funding it usually from PSN top-up codes bought elsewhere on teh internet.
I played it on 3DS, also on their online store.

Etrian Odyssey is also great.

User avatar
Themadcow
Scholar
Posts: 183
Joined: June 9th, 2015, 1:46 am

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by Themadcow » July 3rd, 2015, 3:56 am

I didn't even realise Unchained Blades had a 3DS release... sadly for me that didn't make it to Europe either. Boo.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

EkstasisXI
Novice
Posts: 41
Joined: June 26th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by EkstasisXI » July 3rd, 2015, 6:10 pm

Themadcow wrote:I didn't even realise Unchained Blades had a 3DS release... sadly for me that didn't make it to Europe either. Boo.
I would echo your disappointment. A lot of great RPGs come out Europe. Seems a disappointing business choice, given it would not need to be localized again, as the NA release is already in English.

Elth
Initiate
Posts: 18
Joined: June 15th, 2015, 10:31 pm

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by Elth » July 3rd, 2015, 6:41 pm


jrodman
Explorer
Posts: 347
Joined: March 13th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by jrodman » July 4th, 2015, 6:00 am

.. are not turn-based.

User avatar
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5066
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by Crosmando » July 4th, 2015, 7:55 am

Hey, at least they're proper first-person blobbers, not wannabe JRPG's!
Matthias did nothing wrong!

User avatar
fabrulana
Initiate
Posts: 4
Joined: June 23rd, 2015, 2:09 am

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by fabrulana » July 5th, 2015, 11:11 am

Themadcow wrote:If you're going to dust off the PSP then might want to have a look at Class of Heroes (2 ideally, although 3 is being localised at some point) too. They're pretty much clones of the Etrian Odyssey series with a Japanese high school twist and...

6 character parties too ;)
Sweet thanks... I will most definitely check it out. This thread is turning out to be quite a treasure find. Didn't realise there were so many of my kind of games out there.

User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 3372
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by Gizmo » July 5th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Stone Prophet
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests