Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

ssfsx17
Novice

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by ssfsx17 » July 28th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Mary Skelter recently released. It is extremely anime in presentation, but its gameplay leans more towards orthodoxy.

You get a party of 10 girls and 1 boy based on fairy tales and folklore. They are integral story characters, so they have voices, non-customizable appearances and personalities, etc. Each of the girls fits into 1 of 5 archetypes, and they eventually gain the ability to change between 5 different classes within their archetypes, while retaining learned spells & passives from other classes.

The dungeons have a few new mechanics for the genre:
1. Real-time chases. But, depending on your chosen difficulty level, you may still have the automap during these chases. If you make it about 10 to 15 steps away from the boss, you successfully flee.
2. Walking on top of chains. You must use a controller's analog stick, or a mouse, to retain your balance. Otherwise you fall and take damage.
3. A large variety of dungeon abilities to deal with various puzzles. Imagine something like Lufia 2's puzzle dungeons, except, in first-person perspective, or Zelda type dungeons in turn-based first-person perspective.
4. Enemy blood has special gameplay significance. Overkilling an enemy, or hitting an elemental weakness, will make them splash blood all over your girls. To say more than this would spoil the plot, but it's basically another resource, with some elements of risk-and-reward.

The game is so anime, however, that it has some elements that are most certainly not going to be to everyone's liking:
- The character designs themselves are like those of the Etrian Odyssey series except with even more fanservice.
- There are interactive sequences in which you rub enemy blood off of your girls while they wear swimsuits.
- One of the combat mechanics involves your girls licking enemy blood off of each other.

If this means you will give the game a pass - then I, for one, certainly understand and respect that decision. And I hope you will not think Mary Skelter to be representative of the whole genre's aesthetics.

I would still consider this game more overall positive than negative, because the dungeons and bosses are so fiendishly long and difficult, but it is certainly not perfect. I'm trying to finish it because, well, The Bard's Tale IV isn't out yet and I've finished nearly all the other games in the genre except the Elminage series.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » July 28th, 2018, 3:41 pm

In your opinion... Does this game's 3D dungeon exploration, and its combat aspect seem closer to a modernized BT than BT4?

I watched the trailer for it, and anime aside this game seems to have a large (potentially multi-class) party, a 3D dungeon with integral grid-step design, and multiple monsters in large multi-tile areas. It looks like you could (at least technically) encounter 99 berserkers—no?

ssfsx17
Novice

Post by ssfsx17 » July 28th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Gizmo wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 3:41 pm
In your opinion... Does this game's 3D dungeon exploration, and its combat aspect seem closer to a modernized BT than BT4?

I watched the trailer for it, and anime aside this game seems to have a large (potentially multi-class) party, a 3D dungeon with integral grid-step design, and multiple monsters in large multi-tile areas. It looks like you could (at least technically) encounter 99 berserkers—no?
In Mary Skelter - enemies appear as individual models in combat - so 99 berserkers are not likely unless they are summoned in. They seem to be just a random grab-bag of whatever could spawn in the dungeon, arranged into two rows. Most I've seen is 8 enemies at once. Group-targeting magic therefore is useful for those situations. Since the enemies are 3-D models, there probably won't be 99 of anything.

Other games, like the Operation Abyss series, might have up to 30 or 40 enemies at a time - but they still follow the rule of one enemy equalling one image in the gameplay view. It's certainly possible to have 396 enemies if they're still 2-D images rather than 3-D models.

"Modernized BT" could mean a lot of different things to different people. BT4 seems closest to Lords of Xulima's combat system, which is not inherently bad.

Since I'm a genre fan rather than solely a BT fan, I don't mind Wizardry 8-isms and the like.

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » July 29th, 2018, 1:49 am

Devil’s Whisky is relatively newish and I had thought the game had been cancelled so imagine my surprise when I read the above. How well does the game hold up?
This poster receives no commercial consideration or work from Inxile, he truly believes Bards Tale IV: Barrows Deep to be a great game and one he enjoys on a daily basis

ssfsx17
Novice

Post by ssfsx17 » July 29th, 2018, 6:45 am

DNACowboy wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 1:49 am
Devil’s Whisky is relatively newish and I had thought the game had been cancelled so imagine my surprise when I read the above. How well does the game hold up?
Devil's Whiskey is a decent-enough Bard's Tale clone. It uses a party of 8, and has its own set of magic classes, but otherwise takes inspiration solely from the BT series. It is a bit short, though.

It is also not as recent of a game as many others. Perhaps relative to all other BT clones it is recent, but compared to Wizardry-likes in general, it is older than at least half of them. Hopefully it still works on newer versions of Windows. Seems like the last game update was in 2004.

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » July 29th, 2018, 9:59 am

Don't laugh but I get real fun from relaxing with my IPad Pro and playing 7 Mages. The game is an adaptation of the Czech D&D IP 'Brány Skeldalu' aka Gates Of Skeldal' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%A1ny_Skeldalu) Here, check out the game play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX7gZUXkhmg
This poster receives no commercial consideration or work from Inxile, he truly believes Bards Tale IV: Barrows Deep to be a great game and one he enjoys on a daily basis

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 29th, 2018, 1:17 pm

DNACowboy wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 9:59 am
Don't laugh but I get real fun from relaxing with my IPad Pro and playing 7 Mages.
Picked it up on Steam. Wasn't especially impressed.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » July 31st, 2018, 5:03 am

Drool wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 1:17 pm
DNACowboy wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 9:59 am
Don't laugh but I get real fun from relaxing with my IPad Pro and playing 7 Mages.
Picked it up on Steam. Wasn't especially impressed.
Oh, don't get me wrong, 7 Mages is what I call a 'throwaway', as in something you can pick up for a bit of fun when bored and play a few levels, 7 mages fits right in to that category. Did you just buy the game following my mention?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 31st, 2018, 2:14 pm

No, bought it a month ago or so.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 1st, 2018, 2:14 am

Stranger of Sword City is very good, you can also choose between "realistic" sprites or the usual anime looking ones for your party.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » August 6th, 2018, 4:14 pm

DNACowboy wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 1:49 am
My $0.02:

I played it some around the time it came out. The artwork was pretty nice - sort of what BT1 was in my imagination. I didn't feel the combat was as good as BT1's, but I couldn't tell you why I thought that any more - it's been a while. The system was very similar, it just somehow didn't feel as well sorted or balanced. It was overall a decent bit of fun, but the game was very unstable for me. It crashed a lot, to the point I quit trying in frustration, but there might be a newer patch to fix some of those problems, so YMMV. I would like to have played more of it than I did. The artist's work was excellent and deserved a more stable platform to showcase it.

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » August 7th, 2018, 9:16 am

Am I just overlooking it, or was Michael Cranford's "Centauri Alliance" really omitted from the list? For me, that was kind of BT4 for a while (well, that and Dragon Wars, of course.)

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » September 19th, 2018, 6:20 am

Released this week, but at the pretty nuts price of $50/£50 (yeah...) is Labyrinth of Refrain:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5665 ... n_of_Dusk/

Visuals / anime style aren't my favourite but some of the design decisions sound pretty cool. This is from one of the user reviews:

"Labyrinth of Refrain has an excellent party system to it, one of the best I have seen in a dungeon crawler. The exploration in the game is actually done by puppets, which can be created, repaired, and destroyed at the player’s discretion. When creating a puppet, there are a number of options to choose from. This includes the basics (such as class, appearance, name, and starting skills) as well as some other, more customizable traits (such as nickname, attitude, lucky number, and even flavor text). I quite liked how in-depth the creation system was and was happy to see that level of customization extended to the actual party configuration. In order to be used, puppets need to be assigned to a coven, which is basically a smaller group in the overall party. These covens decide both available spells and party size. As one gets later into the game, covens can be found that include higher-level spells and allow several puppets to be assigned to a single unit, which in turn allows parties of massive sizes. By the time I was six hours into the game, I was managing a party of nine members, all with custom builds and item loadouts. The amount of customization the game allows in that regard really lends itself well to the overall experience.

Easy to learn, hard to master combat. Despite the complexity behind the game’s party system, the combat is actually rather easy to pick up. The commands available are pretty much self-explanatory. There’s attack, use spell, fortify, escape, and formation, all commands I was able to get the hang of pretty quickly. However, the combat is not any less satisfying due to this simplicity. In fact, the combat falls into the whole “easy to learn, hard to master” category. This is because the customization of the party system plays a huge role in how the combat plays out. Factors like coven layout, vanguard or rearguard status, and spell availability can all have a massive impact on how battles turn out. For example, you probably would want to avoid assigning a healer or support puppet to a fighter coven, as they would lose access to the spells that make them useful. As such, the combat can be quite in-depth at times, but nothing is stopping the player from just assigning every puppet to an offensive coven. In fact, if the player wants to keep the combat as simple as possible, he/she can do just that and can also apply a difficulty option that makes all enemies weaker (at the expense of less rewards earned from exploration). There is even a reverse to that option, which makes all enemies tougher, but with more rewards available. As such, the combat can be as complex and difficult as the player likes.

Interesting dungeon-crawling mechanics. It is quite normal for dungeon crawlers to have gimmicks such as holes that can be fallen through, tiles that can be jumped to, and doors that require switches to be opened. Labyrinth of Refrain has all of this and more. In fact, there is one mechanic in particular that really shakes up the gameplay: the ability to break walls. This adds a whole new level to the gameplay, as now there are secret rooms, hallways, and entirely new areas that can be reached just by breaking a wall in a previously-explored area. I quite enjoyed breaking a wall or two to discover a hidden chest, it made the exploration far more interesting"

Not at this price, but might buy when it goes down by 50-60%.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

ssfsx17
Novice

Post by ssfsx17 » September 20th, 2018, 12:03 am

Thanks for the heads-up Themadcow!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 20th, 2018, 4:57 am

Wizards & Warriors is available on GOG:
https://www.gog.com/game/wizards_warriors

If you don't know, this was designed by David W. Bradley, creator of Wizardry 6 and 7, and is pretty much an unofficial sequel to those games.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » September 20th, 2018, 5:03 am

Crosmando wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 4:57 am

If you don't know, this was designed by David W. Bradley, creator of Wizardry 6 and 7, and is pretty much an unofficial sequel to those games.
I owned this back in the day, but struggled with the bugs. Looks like the GoG release works well for some people, but hella-buggy for others (without a number of work arounds). Thanks for highlighting it - I eBay'd my copy a few years ago but would probably buy it again,
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 20th, 2018, 5:13 am

Themadcow wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 5:03 am
Crosmando wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 4:57 am

I owned this back in the day, but struggled with the bugs. Looks like the GoG release works well for some people, but hella-buggy for others (without a number of work arounds). Thanks for highlighting it - I eBay'd my copy a few years ago but would probably buy it again,
Yeah it's pretty buggy, but thankfully GOG support seem to be patching it now, they've fixed the slow mouse movement in the last patch.

Jalis
Acolyte

Post by Jalis » September 20th, 2018, 7:48 am

Crosmando wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 5:13 am
Yeah it's pretty buggy, but thankfully GOG support seem to be patching it now, they've fixed the slow mouse movement in the last patch.
Ugh the mouse / clicking problems on that game... I remember trying to keep playing it, but after many hours having to abandon the game due to its mouse issues and lack of keyboard shortcuts. I probably put 30 or more hours into it before giving up on it as a result. :/

KraziJoe
Initiate

Post by KraziJoe » September 20th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Dungeons of Daggorath was one of my first foray's into Computer gaming.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_of_Daggorath
My friends and I would stay up all night playing this simple yet difficult game. Basic graphics and simple story but the sound effects were very immersive. Dreading the sound of that Spider or Bag monster or Ogre creeping up on you and you couldn't see it, made it all the more immersive and scary. A cartridge playing on a TRS-80 with a cassette tape backup.
Man, playing that in a browser just doesn't capture it but it does make me reminiscence of when simple games stimulated our imagination, something a lot of games today, no longer do.

Parody
Initiate

Post by Parody » September 20th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Mars Saga/Mines of Titan is one that I purchased for my C=64 but didn't complete back in the day, mostly because I had so many gaming options at that point.