Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

ssfsx17
Novice

Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by ssfsx17 » February 2nd, 2015, 12:33 am

Wizardry series - the direct ancestor of the Bard's Tale. In many ways, The Bard's Tale was easier than Wizardry 1-3 thanks to its gameplay innovations. Some people unfortunately forget that the Bard's Tale was, itself, innovative for the time compared to Wizardry.

Wizardry 8 - a lot different from the previous games, with full 3-D environments. PCs can have personalities and voice sets assigned to them, with many of the voice actors in common with Jagged Alliance 2. Much like Might & Magic, combat is within the main adventuring system.

Might & Magic series - significant gameplay differences. Combat takes place in the main adventuring view, traps have visible animated graphics, loot is randomized like from a classical Roguelike, etc.

Realms of Arkania series - feels a lot more like you are playing a pen & paper role-playing game, with camping, haggling, scamming money off of fools in taverns, etc. Combat is on an isometric tactical grid.

SSI Dungeons & Dragons games - Combat is on a tactical grid. Rules are much more faithful to Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition.

The Dark Spire - very distinctive artwork, reminds me a lot of the art of ZPC. Mostly takes after Wizardry.

Etrian Odyssey series - unfortunately, exclusive for Nintendo mobile devices only. Has in-game tools for making your own map, and in each game, you must go through a mandatory tutorial to map part of the first level.

Elminage series - one of the games is on Steam. Beautiful artwork that is not anime, although still distinctly Japanese in its own way. Very heavily based on Wizardry 1-3.

Warrior's Tale - effectively a remake of the Bard's Tale, complete with artwork being based heavily on the Apple IIGS / Amiga / MS-DOS version. Contains some D&D 3rd edition elements.

Devil Whiskey - extremely detailed artwork, and if I recall correctly, up to eight party members. Very Bard's-Tale-like although with a few modern features.

Silversword RPG - very Bard's Tale-like, although with a wagon travel system, and with saving at any time. Maintains difficulty throughout the game. It hands out lots of healing items, but you'll be needing every single one of them.

And of course, if we want to take inspiration from games that were not first-person, then the list could grow even more.

ZiN
Explorer

Re: Other First-Person Turn-Based Party-Based RPGs

Post by ZiN » February 2nd, 2015, 2:54 am

Betrayal at Krondor - Based in the world of a fantasy novel series, in this game the player recruits pre-generated characters, each with his own well-written story. Combat takes place in 3rd person view on a grid. Mostly praised for it's story and atmosphere.

Fate: Gates of Dawn - Another German made RPG for the Amiga and Atari ST. It has a huge game world, lots of pre-made characters (both random and story ones) which the player can recruit. Very hardcore with no hand-holding at all, the dungeon difficulty rivaling Wizardry and BT, one needs a good walkthrough and lots of time to complete this.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 2nd, 2015, 12:15 pm

I would also give honorable mentions to the Grimrock and Eye of the Beholder series. They aren't turn-based, but they are first person blobbers.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Fenris
Initiate

Post by Fenris » February 2nd, 2015, 2:28 pm

There are some old german Games:
- Amberstar
- Ambermoon (Amiga only AFAIK)
- Legend of Faerghail (much nicer on Amiga then on PC)
- Albion
Edit: Spirit of Adventure

I tried to post links to mobygames, but the forum doesn't let me^^

Also:
Wizards & Warriors

Priest4hire
Explorer

Post by Priest4hire » March 12th, 2015, 1:51 am

I can think of a few that haven't been mentioned.

The Dark Heart of Uukrul. An often overlooked classic dungeon crawler, it has some pretty nifty ideas and is a solid entry in the genre. Features tactical combat and an interesting magic system.

Tunnels of Doom. From all the way back in 1982, this game is the very first CRPG to feature a separate screen for combat. Before Pool of Radiance did it, or even Ultima III, this game had first person exploration with third person tactical combat. It's a real piece of history.

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land. Another game that is way too overlooked. Both a throwback to the original titles and a game with some interesting ideas of its own, it even manages to squeeze an interesting story in there. And it's actually pretty fun. Pity it was never released on a PC, and I'm lucky to have found a good, inexpensive copy. But the PS2 can be emualted...

Shining in the Darkness. This is more of a dungeon crawler lite, but that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable or unworthy of playing. Really, it's just fun little dungeon crawler and totally worth checking out if you haven't played it. Has a sequel on the Sega Saturn called Shining the Holy Ark.

Ancients. A shareware series I barely remember. Seemed OK. Helps if you enjoy mapping on graph paper.

Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon. This is based on the old boxed Dungeons & Dragons. From back when there was AD&D and D&D. Appropriately, it plays like a simplified version of the Goldbox games. Was developed by Westwood.

Shin Megami Tensei. This is a whole series, and I'm actually surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. The older titles never made it over here but via fan translations, but newer titles like Nocturne and Strange Journey are available. Interesting games to say the least.

Perihelion. One I own and have always meant to get around to playing. It has a very cool intro, an interesting dying Earth sort of setting and plenty of weird. Character creation is somewhat impenetrable. I'd hope owning the game and having the manual would help with that. Not really.
Drool wrote:I would also give honorable mentions to the Grimrock and Eye of the Beholder series. They aren't turn-based, but they are first person blobbers.
They're part of a whole sub-genre of dungeon crawlers that started with Dungeon Master back in 86. It's kind of hard to peg them since they are real-time, but a sort of slow real-time that doesn't require great reflexes. More like a timed turn-based system. Quite a few entires, and some of them well worth considering.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » March 12th, 2015, 8:45 am

ZiN
Explorer

Post by ZiN » March 12th, 2015, 11:02 am

Priest4hire wrote:Perihelion. One I own and have always meant to get around to playing. It has a very cool intro, an interesting dying Earth sort of setting and plenty of weird. Character creation is somewhat impenetrable. I'd hope owning the game and having the manual would help with that. Not really.
Yeah, i remember that from my Amiga, created by Hungarians, it had a very cool and unique art style and a pretty weird but interesting system. It was so obscure and quirky though, that actually playing it was nigh impossible. One of those games, where the game itself might not be super-hard, but figuring out what to do and how to do anything is.

Wile
Adventurer

Post by Wile » March 13th, 2015, 10:23 pm

SpaceShock looks pretty rad even though it is still just a prototype. Combat is in top down view, though.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » May 5th, 2015, 4:09 am

ZiN wrote: Fate: Gates of Dawn - Another German made RPG for the Amiga and Atari ST. It has a huge game world, lots of pre-made characters (both random and story ones) which the player can recruit. Very hardcore with no hand-holding at all, the dungeon difficulty rivaling Wizardry and BT, one needs a good walkthrough and lots of time to complete this.
Oh man, I tried playing this one on WinUAE not too long ago and it was way over my head. You start the game with 1 character in the middle of a forest with basically nothing and no idea where to go.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » May 5th, 2015, 6:55 am

So that sounds like fun :D
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

ssfsx17
Novice

Post by ssfsx17 » June 2nd, 2015, 8:13 am

StarCrawlers is still in Steam early access, but it shows promise too. Combat feels more like Final Fantasy, Earthbound, and the like.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » June 3rd, 2015, 2:29 pm

dungeon master 1 & 2

and

Return to stonekeep are games that i played.

never was such a huge fan of the genre
Last edited by Lord of Riva on June 3rd, 2015, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 3rd, 2015, 2:48 pm

Wow, how is Dragon Wars not in this list yet? :D
youtube
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » June 4th, 2015, 1:29 pm

I liked the blobber combat in Lords of Xulima - there were definitely some interesting decisions / tactics at play there. (Though the game goes isometric for exploring the overworld.)
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

ZiN
Explorer

Post by ZiN » June 4th, 2015, 2:06 pm

thebruce wrote:Wow, how is Dragon Wars not in this list yet? :D
I guess because the "other" condition in the topic title. DW counts as a BT game. :) Also "1st person" and "turn-based" conditions get ignored as well, hopefully only on this specific listing. ;)

Kordor
Acolyte

Post by Kordor » June 9th, 2015, 7:39 am

My two favorites are
Stonekeep which has an amazing sound design and atmosphere, a real time combat where you only control the main character while all the others do their actions automatically.
Lands of Lore 1 Does a great job in combining typical Dungeon Master Gameplay with a story. One main character, multiple companions with personalities, real time combat, wilderness areas outside of dungeons and also great music and charming graphics as in all Westwood games.

Themadcow
Scholar

Post by Themadcow » June 9th, 2015, 7:58 am

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls (LOLS!) - A PS3 Wizardry 'lite' in terms of options and depth but still hard as nails.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - An excellent blobber on the Nintendo DS that gets overlooked but is far better than Etrian imo *edit - just noticed this is already mentioned*

Paper Sorcerer (PC) - Actually very similar feel to the Bards Tale albeit with just a 3 person party and some interesting 'recharge' battle mechanics

...Grimoire: Herald of the Winged Exemplar (PC) - Errr, erm, about 15 years in development but just 10 micro issues from release (est 2019).

As far as the Wizardry series goes, my favourite by far was Wizardry 6 but then again I've always prefered linear progression to open world.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 9th, 2015, 8:21 am

World of Aden: Thunderscape
Matthias did nothing wrong!

LordG
Initiate

Post by LordG » June 17th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Warriors of the Eternal Sun on the Sega Genesis. Is a D&D Hollow World game. Has first person in a window top left and I believe it was turned based. Reminded me of Wizardry, M&M, etc.

Good game!

Nexus
Acolyte

Post by Nexus » June 18th, 2015, 11:55 am

Actually Ive been thinking about this the past few days, and the description we've been getting from inxile sounds really really really alot like might and magic 6.
6(?) classes to pick from, 4 person party, first person view, I'm still a little fuzzy about the definition of phased combat, but it seems like MM6 was sorta phased. IIRC speed attribute determined your initiative in combat for each character. Also you could toggle it between turn based and real time combat but the order for your actions are the same, you just had to provide input quicker in realtime.
Anyone else see any similarities?
Pretty fun game as well.