GOG Linux installer for BT IV is broken

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

demeisen
Explorer

Re: GOG Linux installer for BT IV is broken

Post by demeisen » September 10th, 2019, 5:45 pm

shmerl wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:36 pm
Seriously, didn't GOG learn from the previous time?
Yeah, that's just it... This is not rocket science. If I was the intern who for whatever reason posted two bad ones in a row, I think I'd have a strong incentive - if for no other reason than to save myself some embarrassment - to make sure I got it right the next time around. Given all the failures so far have been due to a file truncation, it would cost mere seconds to verify the uploaded size.

But maybe that's just me.

Then there's the whole issue of zipping already compressed data, which is nonsensical. But baby steps here - I suppose we should get them to upload valid files, first :lol:.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » September 10th, 2019, 5:49 pm

demeisen wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:45 pm
Then there's the whole issue of zipping already compressed data, which is nonsensical. But baby steps here - I suppose we should get them to upload valid files, first :lol:.
Which isn't even zipped, but 7zipped, but gets zip extension instead of 7z, to add to the confusion.

Just a wild guess, but they are using some weird tool that doesn't let .sh files go through (malware filter?), and only understands .zip extensions, while also cutting sizes.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » September 11th, 2019, 12:32 am

shmerl wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:49 pm
Just a wild guess, but they are using some weird tool that doesn't let .sh files go through (malware filter?), and only understands .zip extensions, while also cutting sizes.
Yeah it really feels like they have a toolchain that bugs on this specific game (perhaps due to size), and they are just fiddling around without really understanding what they're doing to bypass the toolchain bug, instead of fixing it...

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 11th, 2019, 10:00 am

I feel like we should start a betting pool for how many attempts it will take them to get it right this time around :-/.

If I was in any position to do so (I'm not...) I'd volunteer to fix their process and/or at least add some automated sanity testing to the final result.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » September 13th, 2019, 8:49 am

Just checked - GOG installer wasn't yet updated, so I doubt they'll fix it this week already.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 13th, 2019, 9:02 am

shmerl wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 8:49 am
Just checked - GOG installer wasn't yet updated, so I doubt they'll fix it this week already.
Thanks for checking Shmerl. And... drat.

I rather wish I could sit down next to the GOG person charged with doing this, and hand-hold them into getting a functional one posted to the live site.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » September 13th, 2019, 9:58 am

demeisen wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 9:02 am
I rather wish I could sit down next to the GOG person charged with doing this, and hand-hold them into getting a functional one posted to the live site.
As I commented in the relevant GOG thread, it looks like that's exactly what GOG don't want to have - any discussion, because I suspect such low quality support is by design (may be resources constraint?). I contacted GOG support, and they responded like this:
Thanks for clarifying. We've at GOG Technical Support cannot approach this directly, and I've forwarded this information to our Product Team. They will take a closer look at this issue and from what I see, try to provide a new build.

I'm sorry for the current inconvenience.
It means there is no one to talk in GOG about these issues. Support team says it's not their problem but "product" one. And support team is the only one we can reach. A convenient system for GOG to avoid having any discussion about it.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 13th, 2019, 10:48 am

shmerl wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 9:58 am
I suspect such low quality support is by design (may be resources constraint?).
All they're missing is a sign to proudly proclaim, "Customer service is our number one priority!" :lol:

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 14th, 2019, 8:57 am

Hey ladies and gents - it appears that GOG has uploaded "Update 1" now as 9 separate parts of about 3.9 GB each. Presumably, to avoid whatever trouble they kept having with large files.

I haven't tried it yet, so I cannot say whether it works. I'll post back here with the results when I can try it, unless someone beats me to it. I'm hopeful, since the total size now is more like what it should be.

EDIT: Success! You have to use an archiver that handles multiple parts (or, presumably, you could just cat them together into a single file). I extracted the new .sh, ran it, and successfully launched the new version. Inventory opening is much snappier now.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » September 14th, 2019, 9:45 pm

I confirm, that new split package is fixed and can be used to install the game. GPU freeze is still happening though.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 15th, 2019, 6:44 am

shmerl wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 9:45 pm
I confirm, that new split package is fixed and can be used to install the game. GPU freeze is still happening though.
Since you said in the driver defect report that allow_glsl_cross_stage_interpolation_mismatch=true was not a workaround, I also begin to be unconvinced by the theory raised on that thread that interpolation qualifiers are causing the hang (assuming that option does what it says on the tin). There might in fact be a problem with that driver thinking GLSL 4.3 requires interpolation qualifier matching when it does not, but it sounds like working around that didn't fix the issue for you, so it may be independent. My money's on some other cause...

It's also curious that your trace didn't let them duplicate the hang. That smells like either (1) the trace did not capture a sufficient extent of gameplay, (2) there's some other difference between your system and his such as GPU firmware, OS kernel, or driver versions, etc, or (3) the hang is acutely sensitive to timing, so the trace playback did not trigger it as the live game did. That is a rare situation, but can happen.

EDIT: you could always try to play back the trace on your own system and see if you can duplicate the hang that way, yourself. That would rule out (1) and provide weak statistical evidence against (3).

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » September 15th, 2019, 9:08 am

The trace didn't cause the hang for me either when I was replaying it. It only happens in the game itself.