Will InXile have any more kickstarters?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

TZODnmr2k5
Initiate

Will InXile have any more kickstarters?

Post by TZODnmr2k5 » April 7th, 2019, 6:47 pm

I would love to back your next project, though with Microsoft being a publisher will this no longer be an option? If not, then what's next for you guys? :mrgreen:

Grohal
Master

Re: Will InXile have any more kickstarters?

Post by Grohal » April 8th, 2019, 3:35 am

Kickstarter/fig should definately be over now. I guess that was no small part of why InXile signed this treaty.
Hopefully the "more money" shows in the next Projects and not only in better graphics/sounds/full voice over and so on...
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

TZODnmr2k5
Initiate

Post by TZODnmr2k5 » April 8th, 2019, 7:40 am

Grohal wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 3:35 am
Kickstarter/fig should definately be over now. I guess that was no small part of why InXile signed this treaty.
Hopefully the "more money" shows in the next Projects and not only in better graphics/sounds/full voice over and so on...
Yeah, I figured as much, yet I'm hoping an official word on this, I hope microsoft will be generous towards these incredibly talented guys/gals and not to pull an EA on them! ;)

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » July 5th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Even more than kickstarter vs no-kickstarter, I'm wondering about all the other things it seems we're likely to lose in the future:
  • Will we continue to see Linux/OSX support on future games? (guessing no...)
  • Will we continue to see DRM-free releases? (guessing no...)
  • Will we continue to see games sold on GOG? (guessing no...)
I've always liked InXile's ethos, and didn't even mind supporting their "misses" to keep a nice indie studio going. Perhaps Microsoft will surprise me, but I'm not very optimistic about that, or about even being able to play or run future games. Seems likely that we've lost two of the more talented indie gaming studios (Obsidian and InXile) to the usual offenders.

I'll be glad if I'm proven wrong. If MS acts solely as a money infusion for InXile with an otherwise 100% hands-off policy to let them create the games they want with fewer financial worries, then hey, great! I'll be delighted. But the number of times MS has digested something good and spat out a hollow shell with all the ethical parts carved out in favor of their usual skullduggery is becoming difficult to keep track of.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 6th, 2019, 8:48 pm

My trust of InXile isn't great after BT4 and the Microsoft buyout, so I probably wouldn't contribute even if it happened. We'll see how WL3 turns out.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » July 6th, 2019, 11:11 pm

+1 for "will you support DRM-free Linux releases"?

With MS owning them, I doubt it. MS doesn't go along with Linux and DRM-free well. Because of Phil Spencer, there is still no Vulkan support on Xbox. Linux support in MS games is like several steps further than that. But I'm willing to give inXile the benefit of a doubt until their next major release.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » July 9th, 2019, 5:49 pm

shmerl wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 11:11 pm
I'm willing to give inXile the benefit of a doubt until their next major release.
Yeah, same here. I rather liked WL2:DC (even with its imperfect attribute system), and am looking forward to WL3, which we're sure to still see for Linux and OSX. (We might even see BT4 someday. Perhaps circa 2040 :lol:)

After that, might be bleak. It'd be nice if Microsoft would clarify their stance. I fear I already know the answer, but I'd prefer to have it made explicit, so I can officially stop looking forward to anything coming down the road from Obsidian and InXile and let them fade away into that dismal oubliette that already holds most of the AAA studios.

whippleshuffle
Developer

Post by whippleshuffle » July 15th, 2019, 2:22 pm

TZODnmr2k5 wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 6:47 pm
I would love to back your next project, though with Microsoft being a publisher will this no longer be an option? If not, then what's next for you guys? :mrgreen:
There's no expectation for future projects to need external funding through backers or outside publishing partners. It's obviously been an incredibly important part of getting inXile to where we are today, and really to be able to make the games and finish the projects that Microsoft took note of. We'll always be a company firmly founded in our grass roots funding, but now we're set up and supported to see our dreams through to reality without constant worry of funding. It's an exciting future. As far as what's next we're hard at work on Wasteland 3, an unannounced VR title, The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut, and we also have upcoming releases of The Bard's Tale Trilogy and Wasteland 30th Anniversary remaster (more info on those soon).
shmerl wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 11:11 pm
which we're sure to still see for Linux and OSX. (We might even see BT4 someday. Perhaps circa 2040 :lol:)
The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut is releasing for Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 on August 27. :D

KorganBloodAxe
Acolyte

Post by KorganBloodAxe » July 16th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Even though you won't need kickstarter for funding is there still a chance of pre-orders getting a nice physical collectors edition?

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » July 17th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Yeah, I know that quote wasn't from me :)
whippleshuffle wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 2:22 pm
We'll always be a company firmly founded in our grass roots funding, but now we're set up and supported to see our dreams through to reality without constant worry of funding.
Will you still be making Linux games? inXiles were ones of the pioneers of Linux gaming, and it would be great if you could continue, despite MS being generally antagonistic to advancement of the Linux gaming technology and market.

Nexus
Acolyte

Post by Nexus » July 18th, 2019, 7:53 am

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/6/18534 ... el-feature

Just sayin' :D

I know its mostly been on the enterprise level, but MS has been adding quite a bit of linux integration over the past few years.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » July 18th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Nexus wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 7:53 am
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/6/18534 ... el-feature

Just sayin' :D

I know its mostly been on the enterprise level, but MS has been adding quite a bit of linux integration over the past few years.
MS is big, and their virtualization / cloud departments surely are interested in Linux. But their gaming segment is completely different, and reminds more their attitude from the '90s. Consider their continuous push for DirectX, and not backing the Vulkan initiative. Lock-in, that pretty much describes their stance, when gaming is concerned, so backing Linux initiatives might not sit well with their gaming management.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » July 24th, 2019, 12:40 pm

shmerl wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 5:02 pm
Lock-in, that pretty much describes their stance, when gaming is concerned, so backing Linux initiatives might not sit well with their gaming management.
Yep, agreed.

On the other hand, even though InXile now has to "bend the knee" in the end, they aren't just a leaf in the wind either, and presumably still have some agency of their own. If they pushed for continuing to support Linux and Mac gaming, it's at least conceivable that they could convince The Powers That Be. "We built our brand identity supporting all PC gamers, and we think it's important to continue supporting the people who supported us." Whatever - they can come up with a sweet smelling sales pitch for TPTB, if they try.

I'm not saying it's a given, or even likely, that MS would agree. Still, sometimes managers, even in massive soulless companies like Microsoft, can be convinced to let good things be. InXile themselves have been a good corporate citizen in the world of PC gaming, being willing to support roads that don't further that kind of vendor lock-in. It'd sure be nice if that could continue.

It might be a false hope, but imma cling to it for the moment :D