Pre order on inXile vs pre order on Steam or GOG

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

martinvc
Initiate

Pre order on inXile vs pre order on Steam or GOG

Post by martinvc » September 13th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Is it exactly the same to preorder ultimate version of the game here on inXile through Xsolla that the one sold on Steam or GOG?
As far as I can tell, the Steam or GOG Ultimate versión of the game don't bring the following:

- Alfa Access
- Beta Access
- Digital Graph Paper
- Julie Fowlis Song Book

I know the first two items are no longer available. But is the paper and the song book gonna be on ultimate version of Steam or GOG?

Thanks in advance.

eisberg
Acolyte

Re: Pre order on inXile vs pre order on Steam or GOG

Post by eisberg » September 14th, 2018, 1:31 am

The other difference is that Steam/GoG versions come with The remastered version of the Trilogy, where as the bardstale.com version comes with the emulated version of the trilogy.

Since they are not showing the graph paper and the song book on Steam/GoG then it will not be coming with that stuff.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » September 17th, 2018, 10:57 am

Why would you want the digital graph paper--just so you can print your own 22x22 grid graphs to handmap each level of each dungeon? I mean, doesn't the game have automapping? (I'll find out on the 18th.) The Trilogy Remaster has excellent automapping--makes the game so much more fun, imo. I mean, handmapping was fun and novel and added to the mystique and mystery of the game 30 years ago... :D It was the one thing that put me off playing BT1,2 & 3 again during all those years since--I got my fill of handmapping with the original games. It was fun...then. (Plus being 30 years older, I have less energy, and therefore less enthusiasm, for such housekeeping tasks... :mrgreen: )

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 17th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Once again, I don't find hand-mapping in the slightest some relic of ancient times. It's just another style of mapping that is, and can be, fun if implemented well. Has nothing to do with being "out-dated". I'm almost 40, there's something very VERY satisfying about exploring and mapping out in detail the content of a mysterious level, and figuring out how things work and interact within, relying only on your own cartography skills.
I'd actually say that automapping is an example of how technology is making our lives "easier" by doing our work for us; thus it's actually the "new" that is the detriment to something that doesn't have to be considered "old". So I'd rather have the automap be an option for those that want it, rather than a requirement gameplay element; that is, when grid-mode is enabled, as long as the levels are mappable like the originals, it won't be a matter for me of getting 'old school nostalgia', but a gameplay experience that I prefer more for this type of RPG.
But anyway...
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 17th, 2018, 2:22 pm

waltc wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 10:57 am
Why would you want the digital graph paper--just so you can print your own 22x22 grid graphs to handmap each level of each dungeon?
I believe it was intended as a bit of a joke. Also, I believe physical tiers include actual graph paper.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 17th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Drool wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 2:22 pm
waltc wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 10:57 am
Why would you want the digital graph paper--just so you can print your own 22x22 grid graphs to handmap each level of each dungeon?
I believe it was intended as a bit of a joke. Also, I believe physical tiers include actual graph paper.
Grimrock 2 had it.