Your Ideal Party Members

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Orpheus the Bard
Scholar

Re: Your Ideal Party Members

Post by Orpheus the Bard » January 19th, 2018, 3:44 am

Zadkiel wrote:
January 18th, 2018, 3:34 pm
phimseto wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 1:03 pm
As we’re playing/testing The Bard’s Tale IV, something that’s come up internally is: which fantasy character would you most want to team up with on an adventure? It’s led to some animated discussions about the pros and cons of various suggestions. It was a fun exchange, so we’ve decided to take the conversation public! Which fantasy character from books/movies/etc. would *you* love to team up with?

I had some suggestions of my own, but I'll wait until the thread has been on for a while before weighing in.
Dear god, please No. Just No.

Nothing would break my immersion and ruin my gaming experience quicker than suddenly meeting Gandalf or having Drizzt join my party...

This is the most worrying thing I've read on this forum.
Don't play Menzoberranzan. Of course, it's a game that is meant to have Drizz't who makes his entrance after gracefully felling some wandering forest gaint who was about to attack your adventuring party. Al the same, after he joins up with you, your free to raid his inventory for his scimitars Twinkle & Iceing Death, the Gwenhyver fingurine. Withor without them he's helpless, you take control of him. Which broke the Immersion for me.

Of course, I don't mind meeting charcetrs with not so cleverly hidden or jsut driectly referenceing other popular fantasy or even scifi identities. The more sublte the better.
Last edited by Orpheus the Bard on January 22nd, 2018, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orpheus the Bard
Scholar

Post by Orpheus the Bard » January 19th, 2018, 3:51 am

Lord of Riva wrote:
January 19th, 2018, 2:58 am
@Phimseto if i may inquire as this is pretty much consensus what exactly is it you guys want to do and what are your ideas?
I have afew ideas that could make the stealth sytem more intersting. To give hiding in shadows more detail. Surelyl there are tiems when there are no shadows to hide in, and they still succeed in hiding in plain sight because they made themselves less obvious then there surrounding and the rest of the adventuring group.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 19th, 2018, 4:10 am

Drool wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 4:03 pm
Oh, no. Please. Please don't tell me you're planning a "cute" Easter Egg referencing some random fantasy character. Please don't let this be a sign that BT4 is going to spend all its time winking at the player.
Agreed.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 19th, 2018, 9:57 am

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
January 19th, 2018, 3:44 am
Don't play Menzoberranzan. Of course, it's a game that is meant to have Drizz't who makes his entrance after gracefully felling some wandering forest gaint who was about to attack your adventuring party. Al the same, after he joins up with you, your free to raid his inventory for his scimitars Twinkle & Iceing Death, the Gwenhyver fingurine. Withor without them he's help, because he is now a play character. Which broke the Immersion for me.

Of course, I don't mind meeting charcetrs with not so cleverly hidden or jsut driectly referenceing other popular fantasy or even scifi identities. The more sublte the better.
It's also very different... Drizz't is a D&D setting character; presumed to be living in the D&D world setting. Seeing him is like bumping into a celebrity. It's not the same as encountering Tarzan, Yoda, or Geralt in those same woods.

Menzo was a good game. Drizz't was also in Baldur's Gate; I remember I had Imoen lift (steal) one of his swords, when he chanced by. :twisted:
Drool wrote:
Oh, no. Please. Please don't tell me you're planning a "cute" Easter Egg referencing some random fantasy character. Please don't let this be a sign that BT4 is going to spend all its time winking at the player.
https://youtu.be/PfiuIMwOq3s?t=20s

Orpheus the Bard
Scholar

Post by Orpheus the Bard » January 20th, 2018, 2:54 am

Gizmo wrote:
January 19th, 2018, 9:57 am
Orpheus the Bard wrote:
January 19th, 2018, 3:44 am
Don't play Menzoberranzan. Of course, it's a game that is meant to have Drizz't who makes his entrance after gracefully felling some wandering forest gaint who was about to attack your adventuring party. Al the same, after he joins up with you, your free to raid his inventory for his scimitars Twinkle & Iceing Death, the Gwenhyver fingurine. Withor without them he's help, because he is now a play character. Which broke the Immersion for me.

It's also very different... Drizz't is a D&D setting character; presumed to be living in the D&D world setting. Seeing him is like bumping into a celebrity. It's not the same as encountering Tarzan, Yoda, or Geralt in those same woods.

Menzo was a good game. Drizz't was also in Baldur's Gate; I remember I had Imoen lift (steal) one of his swords, when he chanced by. :twisted:
Drool wrote:
https://youtu.be/PfiuIMwOq3s?t=20s
I did the same in Menzo, but then realised what a joke he turned out to be afterwards. Of course, he isn't, but putting him in the game in such a way also destroys his credibility as one of the phenominal wonders of Faerun.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » January 20th, 2018, 6:04 am

- Fearless warrior or paladin. Can perhaps become a Geomancer?
- Battle Bard, (drums, horns, bagpipes) with a booming voice and a taste for liquor.
- Adventurer Bard, helps exploring the world, plays enchanting music (flute, violin, mandolin, harp, lyre). Elf, or some kind of fairy.
- Magic-user with movement/exploration spells, movement speed, teleport, phasing and different alteration magicks.
- Magic-user with heavy firepower.
- Magic-user with summoning and controlling spells.

Ok, let's weigh in!
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 7:30 pm
Aragorn from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
Wouldn't mind running into this guy in the Vale of Lost Warriors south of Skara Brae. Summoning an army of ghostly warriors upon enemies is fun, roughly the equivalent of a NUKE aka Gotterdamurung.

Or this Ganjee from Steve Jackson's Citadel of Chaos.

ImageImage

Classic BT: monsters ideal as party members. All magic-users could summon different creatures, especially high level Wizards, in addition to their
best spell: Baylor's Spellbinding (SPBI).
There is an interesting tidbit here, regarding BT1-2: The spell Greater Summoning (GRSU), summoned a Demon Lord in BT1, but this was changed to an Elemental in BT2.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » March 13th, 2018, 11:05 am

phimseto wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 1:03 pm
As we’re playing/testing The Bard’s Tale IV, something that’s come up internally is: which fantasy character would you most want to team up with on an adventure? It’s led to some animated discussions about the pros and cons of various suggestions. It was a fun exchange, so we’ve decided to take the conversation public! Which fantasy character from books/movies/etc. would *you* love to team up with?

I had some suggestions of my own, but I'll wait until the thread has been on for a while before weighing in.
i would still like to hear your thoughts and possibly some of the ideas that were tossed around in the team. I guess the thread has been "on" for a while now

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » March 15th, 2018, 10:42 am

This better just be a chat around the campfire sort of thing and not something that germinates into an actual in-game experience. I'm sure it is, seeing as many suggestions would require licensing... but for those in the public domain, I remain concerned.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 15th, 2018, 11:16 am

Zombra wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 11:16 am
Strongly agree. Particularly in Bard's Tale 4 which is heavily invested in setting a mood. I expect some wall-breaking in something like Wasteland - it's kind of part of the series identity there - but not here. Let's have a setting with some integrity.
Agreed with that. I wouldn't want to see other fictional universes' names (or obvious allusions thereto) showing up in BT4. Immersion is important in this kind of game. Along the lines of what Zombra says above about setting a mood, I prefer that mood be on the more serious / sombre / dark side, rather than the irreverent / flippant side. It's hard to get into the sense of exploring a long lost and still dangerous place, if the characters are clowning around.

I was OK with some light external references showing up in WL2, though even there I think a light hand is better than a heavy one. Seeing a rusted out vehicle with a hover-over description as being "The second to last of the V8 interceptors" was amusing. Meeting a character named Max who talks like Mel Gibson would be way too much.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » March 15th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Hmm...I was thinking Minsc and Boo, but mainly because I always thought those were characters that you could translate to most any series and they'd work well. Admittedly, I loved the idea of Ash from Evil Dead when it was suggested, too. I asked this question across different channels, and I'd say the most popular entries were LOTR characters (Hello, Gandalf!) and D&D characters (with Drizzt and Tasselhoff being the two most popular, followed by Minsc & Boo). We had some old school suggestions that warmed my heart, too, like the ever affable Elric and Corwin of Amber. It was interesting seeing where folks' interests and inspirations came from.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 16th, 2018, 5:43 am

I've always a spot in my heart for Brian the Fist.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » March 16th, 2018, 12:58 pm

thebruce wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 5:43 am
I've always a spot in my heart for Brian the Fist.
I can't spoil it, but I made sure there was one very specific Brian the Fist tribute in BT4.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » March 16th, 2018, 1:10 pm

phimseto wrote:
March 15th, 2018, 12:33 pm
Hmm...I was thinking Minsc and Boo, but mainly because I always thought those were characters that you could translate to most any series and they'd work well.
Well, they would fit BT2004, that's for sure. For classic BT i'd go with:

ImageImageImageImage

phimseto wrote:
March 15th, 2018, 12:33 pm
...the most popular entries were LOTR characters (Hello, Gandalf!)
Naturally, I can't wait to get a look on your next update, with your "practitioners" and see how they draw inspiration from these good oldies.

ImageImage

Jademonk
Initiate

Post by Jademonk » April 20th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Sorry to be boring, but I’d choose Gandalf, Aragorn, etc. Everyone but Boromir. True, it might be more fun to adventure with Conan, or Fafhrd and The Gray Mouser, or even The Hound, but I’m not sure I could trust those guys. But you can count on Gandalf, even if you’re only three feet tall.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » April 20th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Jademonk wrote:
April 20th, 2018, 4:56 pm
But you can count on Gandalf, even if you’re only three feet tall.
Sure, but he seems to suddenly and randomly disappear for whatever great purpose beyond our comprehension or need to know... He'd leave basically give you a thumbs up that you're good to go.

And then only return when we're on the brink of death to the party.
Or speak in riddles.
Then swing his staff
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

lefty1117
Acolyte

Post by lefty1117 » April 23rd, 2018, 2:11 pm

Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Frodo, Gandalf

Brian the Fist
Novice

Post by Brian the Fist » June 4th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Taarna the Tarakian of course!! ...'nuff said!
You face 99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers.

Does your stalwart band [F]ight or [R]un?

miasma
Initiate

Post by miasma » June 11th, 2018, 8:47 am

Not a fantasy character, but meeting up with Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar would be a fun (and very subtle) nod to the originals. To be super subtle about it, don't even mention that he was often known as "El Cid."