Stalling for Profits

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Bladesinger
Novice

Stalling for Profits

Post by Bladesinger » March 13th, 2018, 12:14 am

Its no suprise to me when I look at the world. That a company like inExile would STALL releasing Bards Tale Trilogy Remastered.... But Why? You might ask??? Let me tell you...

If they release it now, anyone who wants to d/l the game illegally can get it using a vpn and tor browser combo. Also they get none of those people dishing out some More cash in order boost their profits. From a business sense its smart.

If they wait to release it... More $$$$$ for inExile.

Why would they want to release it now? They dont. Because they get Much less money.

So we wait for what we have paid for till they get fat from the profits...

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: Stalling for Profits

Post by Gizmo » March 13th, 2018, 7:35 am

Do you honestly think that it has the potential to be profitable enough to have made it? It might—maybe; but some tasks are not worth doing it for the profit unless you already want to do the task in the first place. AFAIK, the BT:Remaster is like a cherry on top of the (BT4) ice cream sundae. The cherry doesn't sell it; it doesn't even cost extra. It's a bonus.

I expect to see the remastered edition appear on GoG, it's a natural choice for the product, and I hope it does very well for either, or both of them—assuming they sell it jointly. But I wouldn't expect a great windfall from it... AFAIK, most of the people that want it are already scheduled to be getting it as a —freebie— from their BT4 pledge.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 13th, 2018, 8:00 am

^ what Gizmo said. You don't make BT remastered to "get fat from the profits". I'd be mildly astonished if it doesn't outright lose money.

Of all the PC gaming companies you can reasonably accuse of being money grubbing, InXile is near the bottom of the list. If that's why they were in the biz, they'd be making nothing shooters or micro-transaction phone games, and we'd never have seen major, entirely free content updates which greatly improved their existing games (WL2:DC). You wouldn't see developers interacting with their customers on message forums, between the already massive time demands of creating games.

EA might deserve the insult. InXile, not so much.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 13th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Bladesinger wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 12:14 am
Its no suprise to me when I look at the world. That a company like inExile would STALL releasing Bards Tale Trilogy Remastered.... But Why? You might ask??? Let me tell you...
...because it's still a buggy mess.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Bladesinger
Novice

Post by Bladesinger » March 13th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Well I defer to your understanding of the detail. But still the point being that BT1-3 were Awesome... I suppose knocking inExile was a little premature. After all they do have an amazing team from my understanding... But being an avid BT fan from so many years ago. Its just so frustrating that they would let one person hold up the process. Why not get the courts to sort it out then? It is just such a downer. Waiting for an amazing game by an obviously amazing company ..... Who let themselves be pushed around like muppets with twigs in dark places. I mean I can understand both sides. The whole programmer needing money to survive Vs the agreed product for payment. But the fact We All know all the gritty details means its not a well kept secret and people are willing to gossip making it even harder to hear.

Well I take back my disparaging remarks and apologise to inExile. But please guys... Sort it out wont you???

Bladesinger
Novice

Post by Bladesinger » March 13th, 2018, 8:42 pm

And I agree it will be good to see bt remastered on gog or steam or whereever. But at 45 im not getting younger and would love to complete bt rem before my 100th.

alxndr
Initiate

Post by alxndr » March 22nd, 2018, 10:50 pm

Bladesinger wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 8:40 pm
Well I take back my disparaging remarks and apologise to inExile. But please guys... Sort it out wont you???
This has to be one of the most responsible apologies and self-admissions of hot-headedness I've ever seen in internet forums. My hat is off to you.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 22nd, 2018, 11:45 pm

alxndr wrote:
March 22nd, 2018, 10:50 pm
This has to be one of the most responsible apologies and self-admissions of hot-headedness I've ever seen in internet forums. My hat is off to you.
I once saw a fellow post a full (and heart felt) apology to Fallout 1 & 2 fans on Bethsoft. By his own description, he derided the original games, and praised FO3... Then he played Fallout. He returned with an apology, and said that he'd come to understand exactly what the Fallout fans had been upset about, and now agreed with them.