Bard's Tale Collector's Album Box poll

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

phimseto
Developer

Bard's Tale Collector's Album Box poll

Post by phimseto » February 12th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Thought this tweet and survey link from Brian would be of interest to those of you who were fans of the old games and certainly those of you who will be getting the album box.

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/9 ... 7393454080

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Re: Bard's Tale Collector's Album Box poll

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 12th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Dang, was hoping this was going to be a post about making a limited reprinting of the original album boxes, autographed by Cranford, to mark the 30th-ish anniversary of the originals. Oh well, a man can dream....
cmibl<enter>

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » February 12th, 2018, 6:10 pm

That is a worthy dream. If there's ever a Bard's Tale V crowdfunding campaign, remind us to consider that as a stretch goal! :-D

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 12th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Ah man... Ok, here's what I like:

A) Metallic background, classic grid
C) Classic title text, concept well suited to the original

What I don't like:

A) Kind of what to keep the classic wording as a tribute to the original classics, not the 2004 spinoff.
B) White titling with the dark background is very contrasty, imo.
C) enh, can't put my finger on it.

So here's an idea I quickly tweaked to bring what I like together, in line with I think what suits all my fancies... :)

Lighten the metallic background so it's closer to the lightness of the original, yet feels 'modern' and cool, and doesn't contrast so much with the classic titling. Keeps the classic Tales of the Unknown grid design too.
If the titling were slightly metallicized too, I think that would be even better.

I dunno, that's the best I can think of. I'd want to vote C but something just wasn't sitting right, and I can't vote for the 2004 titling. ;P
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » February 12th, 2018, 7:39 pm

I would say that the black text on C needs to be lightened to get it more in line with the original boxes. It's a bit too heavy in its current draft.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 12th, 2018, 7:58 pm

hm. Yeah the dark tones aren't technically "black" on the BT1 box. I think the etching style of the metallicized background helps to address that if the background is lightened some.
@thebruce0

KorganBloodAxe
Novice

Post by KorganBloodAxe » February 13th, 2018, 1:43 am

I'm going to say none. Option one and two are ruled out because they have the exact sample pattern as BT1 whereas I think it should have a different pattern to continue the trend 2&3 set. Option 3 the pattern is not symmetrical like BT1-2 (3 wasn't fully symmetrical but it was at first glance) . The colour I am not overly fussed about as long as it is a shade of grey but I wouldn't mind if it matched up height and width wise with 1-3. The depth with have to be deeper to fit all the goodies I am guessing.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 13th, 2018, 5:59 am

I'd certainly be for having a BT4-specific grid design as well. I'm not locked on the BT1 pattern. I had to re-check the other album styles :)
I think the essentials are A) Classic titling, B) visual style throwback to original album (grey background, central image). Updated styles(imo) would include A) non-solid grey (ie metallic finish), B) central image, obviously, C) yeah the grid pattern, D) similarly non-solid coloured title.

And maybe, maybe, a different central (unless the current one is already a placeholder) just so it's something new for us all who've been seeing that used everywhere since the initial announcement. But that's just a maybe :)
@thebruce0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 13th, 2018, 2:16 pm

I liked B, but is was way too dark. C seemed the closest to the originals, so it was the one I voted for.

Also, the central image doesn't seem to mesh well on any of the boxes. It looks Photoshopped. I mean, I know it was because it's a mockup, but it looks like a quick P-shop job. Actually, it looks like A was created and then the image was just copy-pasted into B and C because A is the only one it seems to gel with.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 13th, 2018, 2:29 pm

Ooh, and another point. The classic box has the central circle seem like a portal cut through the wall backdrop, whereas the new design feels odd because it seems like a portal yet it's above the backdrop implied by the circle casting a large soft shadow more like a large medallion.
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 13th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Drool wrote: ↑
February 13th, 2018, 2:16 pm
I liked B, but is was way too dark. C seemed the closest to the originals, so it was the one I voted for.
As did I (in both).

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » February 13th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Voted C, would like to see a little texturing on the background (thebruce's version above looks great), I like the asymmetrical and more interesting dungeon on the background, some kind of symbols in the four corners is necessary. I prefer the original font for sure. Like Drool, I'm not in love with the central image, it's all in shadow and kind of pushes the eye away. Would be nice to have a piece of art made particularly for the box and not one that was just cropped out of existing art. I'm not getting a box so it doesn't actually matter to me, these are just observations because I like to feel included.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 13th, 2018, 9:08 pm

I'm guessing the central art will change; The BT1-3 art seems more related specifically to each game. Almost a movie-poster style conglomeration of general content relevant to the game . I think the BT4 centerpiece should follow suit. We don't necessarily need to see that art until a later date, just something to consider perhaps :)

I note that BT3 was sort of the outlier as well. BT1-2 had the subtitle in the upper header with "The Bard's Tale" in the centerpiece, whereas BT3 switched. BT1 had a general wall style grid and BT2 coloured the same pattern in solid, while BT3 broke the mold with a circular maze and even has artwork outside of the center circle - I'm thinking along the theme of extra-dimensionality *winkwink*.

Basically, BT4 album definitely should follow the same style set by the trilogy of backdrop w/maze, centerpiece portal, and plot-relevant artwork that also displays the blobber/party mechanic (and likely the plot significant class, like bard/knight/thief/etc)
@thebruce0

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 16th, 2018, 8:40 am

So I'm having too much fun with this :) I've been playing around with the proposed album cover (no offense inXile!) and have already shared a side-by-side progression of designs and took some feedback into account since the first posting, but this time I came up with a subtitle too, hehe.

I'd buy this game. Would you?

ETA Feb 21: Updated design!
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 16th, 2018, 9:24 am

The proposed album cover looks nice, but I would hesitate to buy anything based on its cover alone, especially knowing what I know about this game thus far. That said, I can appreciate the fun you're having with this.

One thing to note is that the album covers of the previous three games seem a bit brighter than this one. (The second one may a little too bright, actually.) I still prefer the tavern scene from the first game over this one. Some people listening to a tale around a fire seems more in the spirit of the game than some roisterer shouting out in his drunkenness. IMO.
cmibl<enter>

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 16th, 2018, 9:39 am

I would hesitate to buy anything based on its cover alone
It's a figure of speech ;)
One thing to note is that the album covers of the previous three games seem a bit brighter than this one.
True. I'd chalk that up to the shadowy spots caused by the spotlight style lighting. If the range of light/dark lighting were reduced, those dark 'smudgy' areas could be brightened/dodged a bit without losing the contrast in the grid and 'carved' markings, and still keep the rough metallic finish.
Minor details anyway. For now. Hopefully inXile takes some of these community suggestions to heart, and doesn't actually use one of those only three proposed ;) (I would be great surprised if it's a finalized design poll rather than just a stylistic direction poll, heh)
@thebruce0

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » February 16th, 2018, 9:54 am

If we're doing the photoshop thing, here's my 3 minute concept update on yours bruce :)

There's no law that says "Bard's Tale IV" has to fit inside the circle, there's plenty of room for it, the big IV still looks silly. I also like the asymmetrical map. I did a horrible job making the map look metallic while preserving the lines, but again ... 3 minutes and you get the idea. I had to do something to make it look like metal instead of the flat grey in poll #3. One important thing is getting the inXile logo to look like it fits with the grid map, several of the ones we've seen show the logo looking a bit out of place. You did a great job reframing the image, and I do love that artwork ... though I begin to wonder if "doods in a tavern getting drunk" is the most exciting thing we can use to sell the game. I still agree it's better than the one they're using in the mockups though.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 16th, 2018, 10:05 am

Actually that's a good point with the new grid - the unique thing for this box would be that the game is more literal in that the environments are depicted less abstractly; we see stairways and objects and all that, while still having the grid-based map (locked move ment or not). Their updated grid design includes a series of visual map elements, so yeah, I'ma vote for that concept as the backdrop (whether the details of the grid design remain the same or not). ie, backdrop = grid map with literal visual assets

I'm not a fan of golden metallic though. I still think it should remain grey. It's not that different :P

I'll play with the portal-breaking title again though; I did at first but favoured keeping the main part in the circle and only the IV breaking out.
But yeah, if the whole thing breaks out then the IV could be on the same line without reducing the size even further.

...*returns to editing*
@thebruce0

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » February 16th, 2018, 10:21 am

Can I just say that the metallic grey look makes it look like a photocopy .... It kind of reminds me of the photocopied manuals and copy protection that used to make the rounds at times...
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 16th, 2018, 10:24 am

lol, I chalk that up to image quality ;)
@thebruce0