Techland to publish BT4 on PC and consoles

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Serjo
Scholar

Techland to publish BT4 on PC and consoles

Post by Serjo » June 12th, 2017, 9:59 am

It's already been heavily speculated, but now it's confirmed:
New Products: Bard`s Tale IV

In a god-fearing world where the practice of magic is a sin, those who keep the old ways must band together to protect the land against horrors that were believed nothing more than a bard’s tales. Return to Skara Brae in the dungeon-crawling sequel to the trilogy that helped define the RPG genre.

Techland Publishing

Role-Playing > PC/Windows
Role-Playing > Sony Playstation 4
Role-Playing > Xbox 360

http://mp037jm24.mapyourshow.com/7_0/ex ... D=HNxtwL2Z
We might expect to see an official KS update with (probably) some additional information fairly soon.

demeisen
Acolyte

Re: Techland to publish BT4 on PC and consoles

Post by demeisen » June 12th, 2017, 11:54 am

Hmm. I've rarely seen a console port be anything but detrimental to a PC game, but... I guess we'll see if they can avoid the troubles that befall most such attempts. It so often ends up with godawful PC GUIs and controls, oversimplified mechanics, post-combat insta-regen, etc. I appreciate the financials that drive the decision, but in most of the cases I can think of, the game suffers for it.

Maybe if the PC game is done without any consideration whatsoever to a console version, and then the result is tossed over a wall to a porting team, it'd be ok... but once "it'll be better for consoles if we make this or that choice for the PC" creeps in, things tend to go downhill.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 12th, 2017, 8:36 pm

With a game like this, I don't see it making that much of a difference, honestly.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Crosmando
Grandmaster

Post by Crosmando » June 13th, 2017, 2:53 am

Drool wrote:
June 12th, 2017, 8:36 pm
With a game like this, I don't see it making that much of a difference, honestly.
In general I'd agree, turn-based blobbers go pretty well on gamepad (and many of the classics back in the day were ported to NES/SNES etc) but BT4 is still gonna have point & click interface (as opposed to entirely keyboard driven) so there is gonna be some adaptation. The GUI should be designed for KBM, and only THEN should Techland or whoever do the port.

As long as the PC version shows no signs of consolization in controls and/or interface I'm fine with it. The main "problem" is really: Who is gonna buy this? Is there some previous unknown audience of traditional RPG players hiding on PS4 and Xbox1? Brian Fargo already admitted in that Codex interview that console sales of WL2 and TToN were "negligible", so what is going to be different here? BT4 does have some advantages to console gamers (pretty UE4 first-person graphics) but I can't imagine it selling much.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Alation
Initiate

Post by Alation » June 13th, 2017, 4:29 am

I have to agree with the general trend of the posts so far. Make the game designed for PC with a KB+M control system and then worry about a console port later.
Over the last few years online stores like Steam and GOG have now increased the PC game market (not to mention the modding community). The vast majority of their revenue generated from sales will be PC users, so they need to be looked after first.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 13th, 2017, 6:26 am

To the market for the game - fundamentally, the Kickstarter backers. I suppose the question is - was the goal to begin creation of a game to resell thanks to the support of the backers, or was the goal to create a game for the backer community.

It's an interesting dilemma. On one hand, the fact it was funded shows that there IS a market for it - but all it means is that the only guaranteed market is that of the funding base. On the other hand, crowd-funding projects have pretty much always been about a sort of investment-reward system to help creators get their ideas off the ground and ideally launching a full blown successful business with the support of those believe in the product.

Catering to the former, BT4 would have a guaranteed but relatively small market, prepaid, but enthusiastic.
Catering to the latter, BT4 would likely become something different than the backers had decided to support in order to reach a much wider market.

Since BT was never designed for a console, the former would imply that PC would be first, and then maybe, maybe, a version for console. (correction - there was a (very slimmed down) NES variant ;P)
I think BT4 falls somewhere between the two. But I do hope the target platform is PC. I honestly don't see classic BT structure as a console game. And agree that I hope they don't adjust the UI and gameplay to be console-compatible for easier future release there.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » June 16th, 2017, 1:36 pm

From the new update:
We will have more to announce, including which consoles and who our publishing partner is, at a later date.
Odd. I thought Techland would go public at E3, but instead it sounds like the BT4 presentations at the Techland booth didn't happen. Did inXile and Techland have a preliminary arrangement that went pear-shaped at the last minute, was Techland just being incredibly presumptuous with registering bardstalegame.com and listing BT4 in their E3 catalogue, or... what?

Themadcow
Scholar

Post by Themadcow » June 19th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Wider audience is good if it means more chance of further sequels. However, I look at the effect of consoles on Dragon Age and Wizardry and worry slightly. Console UIs don't translate well to PC and as we've seen with games like XCOM can negatively impact strategic complexity to reduce button presses.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

demeisen
Acolyte

Post by demeisen » June 20th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Themadcow wrote:
June 19th, 2017, 1:23 pm
Wider audience is good if it means more chance of further sequels. However, I look at the effect of consoles on Dragon Age and Wizardry and worry slightly. Console UIs don't translate well to PC and as we've seen with games like XCOM can negatively impact strategic complexity to reduce button presses.
+1

Agreed with all of above.

However... I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment: Fargo addressed the issue in the last backer update with some assurances that BT4 will be "PC centric". They're at least aware of the issue, which is a good sign.

Infinitron
Adventurer

Post by Infinitron » June 23rd, 2017, 12:17 am

Serjo wrote:
June 16th, 2017, 1:36 pm
From the new update:
We will have more to announce, including which consoles and who our publishing partner is, at a later date.
Odd. I thought Techland would go public at E3, but instead it sounds like the BT4 presentations at the Techland booth didn't happen. Did inXile and Techland have a preliminary arrangement that went pear-shaped at the last minute, was Techland just being incredibly presumptuous with registering bardstalegame.com and listing BT4 in their E3 catalogue, or... what?
https://steamdb.info/app/272270/history ... id=3112513

Hmmmmm.

Crosmando
Grandmaster

Post by Crosmando » June 23rd, 2017, 10:41 pm

So they've ditched Techland?
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » June 24th, 2017, 2:03 am

demeisen wrote:
June 20th, 2017, 2:11 pm
Themadcow wrote:
June 19th, 2017, 1:23 pm
+1

Agreed with all of above.

However... I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment: Fargo addressed the issue in the last backer update with some assurances that BT4 will be "PC centric". They're at least aware of the issue, which is a good sign.
Both an issue in WL 2 and Torment less so on Bards tale. What weve been shown so far suggest something you can easily and effectively do with a controller so no issue with that from my part.

What will be relevant however is how the Inventory etc. will be realised because there are definitely differences on how to control those with a controller or K&M. I for one really hope that the UIs will not be console based.

Just remember that PC first was also said for Torment

demeisen
Acolyte

Post by demeisen » July 11th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:
June 24th, 2017, 2:03 am
Both an issue in WL 2 and Torment less so on Bards tale.

What will be relevant however is how the Inventory etc. will be realised because there are definitely differences on how to control those with a controller or K&M.
Agreed, inventory is one of the biggest areas impacted. I'd say... just look at whatever the Elder Scrolls series does on the PC... and do the exact opposite in every way :lol: .

I'm playing through WL2/DC now, and it feels nice with K&M. Most common things such as selecting members, toggling weapons and firing modes, etc, can be keyboard driven. The inventory system isn't perfect, but it's generally quite tolerable. I honestly didn't even know there was a console version of the game before just recently, so InExile does grok how to make a decent K&M UI.

Lix
Novice

Post by Lix » July 14th, 2017, 9:12 am

Crosmando wrote:
June 23rd, 2017, 10:41 pm
So they've ditched Techland?
This might be related to the news that gumi has purchased equity in inXile. Gumi is purely a mobile publisher at the moment, but it's possible that its involvement has had an impact on inXile's publishing agreements.