One Thing I *Really* Want To See In BT4

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Re: One Thing I *Really* Want To See In BT4

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » June 4th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Sacred_Path wrote: Does it ever make sense for hordes of monsters to run loose in a bustling city, or a quiet, peaceful town (whichever it may be)?
If hordes of monsters are running loose in a town or city, then it is probably not quiet or peaceful and is probably bustling in all the wrong ways. Hence the need for heroes. Voila! The setting for a fantasy adventure.
cmibl<enter>

Sacred_Path
Scholar

Post by Sacred_Path » June 5th, 2016, 3:29 am

The problem of the city watch has already been brought up :mrgreen:

And then there's the question of how commerce is upheld in a city where only one party of adventurers can navigate the streets.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » June 5th, 2016, 7:32 pm

Why does it matter? It is just a setting meant for a fun adventure. Again, trying to have everything make sense is a slippery slope. Better to just let it go and enjoy the fantasy setting.
cmibl<enter>

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 6th, 2016, 9:58 am

Drool wrote:
Lord of Riva wrote:to make a long story short, if there is a reason for it i dont mind, always depends on how much grind is expected.
Oh, without a doubt. And some version of BT3 had bugs in them so the random encounters happened way more frequently than they should have. Seriously, there were times that walking twenty squares involved eighteen combats. Obviously that's no good, and just monsters popping out of everywhere with no explanation is good, but I thought BT1 and 3 had good reasons for it (and I believe towns in BT2 didn't have randoms).
BT2 did, when kicking in building doors. But I don't recall it while walking the streets. Until night. I believe.

Yes, story is important. Having random encounters makes sense if the current state of the stories allows it; even by a thread. Is there still evil out there? Is a city not "secure" from evil? Gimme random monster encounters. Simple. :)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

amigacooke
Initiate

Post by amigacooke » July 2nd, 2016, 11:41 pm

Roughly a year on from the end of the KickStarter, what I'd really like to see is some evidence that BT4 is making progress.

Ether
Scholar

Post by Ether » July 27th, 2016, 2:51 pm

I like the idea, though it can be tricky to make it enjoyable throughout the whole game. After a while, such encounters end up being a waste of time.

clarencebeeks
Initiate

Post by clarencebeeks » October 9th, 2016, 11:57 pm

I joined to post this so give me some slack please.

BT1 was the best PC game of my youth. I want more of that. Please build a game in this world that echoes the greatness of the first game. Yes I bought and beat 2 and 3 but they were a shadow of the greatness of 1. Does anybody real LOVE 2 and 3?

I'd love to see a ton of skara brea. Throwbacks to 1.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 10th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Actually, yes. Quite a few of us love 3.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » October 10th, 2016, 5:12 pm

clarencebeeks wrote:I joined to post this so give me some slack please.

BT1 was the best PC game of my youth. I want more of that. Please build a game in this world that echoes the greatness of the first game. Yes I bought and beat 2 and 3 but they were a shadow of the greatness of 1. Does anybody real LOVE 2 and 3?

I'd love to see a ton of skara brea. Throwbacks to 1.
Haven't seen anyone really stand up and declare that they like 2 the best, but I think the people that like 3 the best might outnumber those of us who like 1 the best. But, given what inXile has shown thus far, I think it is probably a good idea if the people in both camps stick together and fight for the soul of the game.

I personally love BT1 the best. What I think would have been neat is if inXile had either chosen to do one of the following:
  • Remake BT1, maybe adding a couple of a new dungeons (have the statues by the Kiosk Temple guard an entrance to one; maybe another level in Kylearan's tower; maybe a haunted cellar for another tavern), maybe "reinterpreting" the layouts of the existing dungeons so to render old maps null and void.
  • Make a prequel that explored how Tarjan came to be locked away in stone.
    Magic Mouth wrote:Know this, that a man called Tarjan, thought to many to be insane, had through wizardly powers proclaimed himself a god in Skara Brae a hundred years ago.
And, of course, use higher quality graphics and sound and streamline the user experience, in either case.

But, at this point, it is purely wishful thinking. We'll be lucky to get anything that has more to do with the original series than just the "Bard's Tale" name.
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 10th, 2016, 8:46 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:But, given what inXile has shown thus far, I think it is probably a good idea if the people in both camps stick together and fight for the soul of the game.
Indeed. I can accept your misguided preference for 1 against the greater evil of an unfaithful sequel.

And yeah, I've never seen anyone prefer 2. I've seen people defend and like it, but never anyone say it was their favorite.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Sacred_Path
Scholar

Post by Sacred_Path » October 11th, 2016, 9:15 am

:lol:

Given the stunts they're pulling with Torment and WL3 we can be glad if this ends up resembling a PC RPG (or even dungeon crawler) at all.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 9th, 2017, 11:26 pm

Drool wrote:(and I believe towns in BT2 didn't have randoms).
I think they did inside of buildings; but not in the streets.

Ollieonly1
Initiate

Post by Ollieonly1 » February 16th, 2017, 8:45 am

Greetings all.

Call me old school, but one thing I would really like to see is the option to purchase a hardback or paperback full version of the user manual, complete with accompanying story to complement the game (and maybe even offer additional clues!), instead of just todays money-saving pdf versions. Like the original Bards Tale game, only perhaps even more expansive. :geek:

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » February 16th, 2017, 9:24 am

Ollieonly1 wrote:Call me old school, but one thing I would really like to see is the option to purchase a hardback or paperback full version of the user manual, complete with accompanying story to complement the game (and maybe even offer additional clues!), instead of just todays money-saving pdf versions. Like the original Bards Tale game, only perhaps even more expansive. :geek:
Welcome Ollie :) You're old school! There, I called you old school.

I just checked on the backer site (you may have to log in) and the "Collector's Album Box" is still available and will contain a printed manual. I don't know if that's worth $73 to you ... but the option is there.

EDIT: If you are already a backer, check the "Unlockable" tab on the Rewards page; you should see the box with manual as an add-on for $48.

Ollieonly1
Initiate

Post by Ollieonly1 » February 17th, 2017, 8:09 am

Thanksfor that - you're on my wavelength :)
Interesting... Erm might wait until the pound has recovered a bit.