Alpha and Beta access ?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

b3ck
Initiate

Alpha and Beta access ?

Post by b3ck » June 19th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Is there any guesstimate or hopeful date set yet for when Alpha and Beta access will begin? (Fall of next year for example).
How will those of us with the pledge access be contacted to start?
For the extra games that are included in the pledges, when will they be available?

This is my first kickstarter project, and I am excited about this project. I have not seen anyone ask or mention these questions and would like to know what to expect.
Thank you in advance

jrodman
Explorer

Re: Alpha and Beta access ?

Post by jrodman » June 20th, 2015, 4:26 am

They are fair questions, but given the realities of game development, I wouldn't take any date projections too seriously. It's all guesses at this point.

chaney
Initiate

Post by chaney » June 20th, 2015, 12:31 pm

As far as when you get the other games, that is answered on the kickstarter page FAQ section at the bottom, What are the details on getting my games? How do I receive them, and when?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 20th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Ouf. Not until after Torment's release, to be sure. I would say Fall of 2016 is probably a reasonable guess for alpha/beta.

If it works like WL2 did, they will create a website for backers to access. Alpha and Beta will probably be through Steam, so the backer site is where you'd get your key. Other bonuses (videos, wallpapers, novellas, etc) will also probably be distributed through the backer site, or the backer site will inform you how to get the extra (eg: Go to Smashwords and use this discount code).

The extra games will be released to you depending on availability. Like everything else, you'll probably get your Steam or GOG key via the backer site. So, if you're getting a free copy of WL2 or PoE, that'll be pretty much immediately. Torment will, obviously, have to wait until Torment is released. The free copy of the original trilogy will probably be all but immediately, but Old Skuul's remaster will take however long it takes Becky to whip them into shape; I don't know her timetable, just that she's started work.

But, regardless of how they set it up, it will all be explained, in detail, via Kickstarter emails. inXile might not be the most chatty developer out there, but they make sure you have the information you need to claim your rewards.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » June 20th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Drool wrote:The extra games will be released to you depending on availability. Like everything else, you'll probably get your Steam or GOG key via the backer site. So, if you're getting a free copy of WL2 or PoE, that'll be pretty much immediately. Torment will, obviously, have to wait until Torment is released. The free copy of the original trilogy will probably be all but immediately, but Old Skuul's remaster will take however long it takes Becky to whip them into shape; I don't know her timetable, just that she's started work.
In the most recent Matt chat, she said the BT re-release will be definitely no later than end of this year. She also teases some other stuff, like the original music being redone with real instruments and possibly some difficulty tuning and possibly up-ressing the art.

b3ck
Initiate

Post by b3ck » June 25th, 2015, 8:37 pm

Thank you Drool. Most enlightening.

Crosmando
Grandmaster

Post by Crosmando » June 26th, 2015, 6:00 am

She also mentions that the automapping feature from BT3 will be "backported" to BT1-2
Matthias did nothing wrong!

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » June 26th, 2015, 6:53 am

To complete what Drool said, the backer site already exists. https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/ and there are already some rewards you can claim there, if your pledge include things like PDF copies of the pen and paper Numenera game, or a copy of Wasteland 2.

The keys (Steam for alpha/beta/release or GoG for release) to access Torment will be added there when they'll be available.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » June 26th, 2015, 11:15 am

kilobug wrote:To complete what Drool said, the backer site already exists. https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/ and there are already some rewards you can claim there, if your pledge include things like PDF copies of the pen and paper Numenera game, or a copy of Wasteland 2.

The keys (Steam for alpha/beta/release or GoG for release) to access Torment will be added there when they'll be available.
The Bard's Tale backer site is actually here: https://bardstale.inxile-entertainment.com/ Just no actual account management stuff yet, and the layout is still on the temp side.

But yeah, it'll be reusing a lot of our same setup from Torment (but might have a slightly different organization or layout), which is a plus because our back-end for the Torment site is quite robust and makes it much easier to manage backers, rewards, info, etc.

Bard to the Future
Initiate

Post by Bard to the Future » July 2nd, 2015, 6:51 pm

Hmm does anyone know if Alpha and Beta will be available on Mac?

Alation
Initiate

Post by Alation » December 31st, 2016, 10:05 pm

I am sorry to necro this thread but as we get closer to release it would be nice to know. The date for release is currently saying October 2017 so does that mean that the "alpha backers" are already playing the game and giving feedback and the "beta" backers will get to start playing in March/April/May 2017?

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » January 1st, 2017, 2:54 pm

I am supposed to have access to the alpha releases and have not received any announcement indicating that an alpha exists for testing yet. Based on all the scant announcements I've seen, I believe that the game is still in early development. No idea on their timeline.
cmibl<enter>

Alation
Initiate

Post by Alation » January 1st, 2017, 11:26 pm

I guess that there is pretty much zero chance for it to be fully released in October then. Pity.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 2nd, 2017, 10:49 pm

Yeah. Kickstarter delivery dates for video games are pretty much meaningless.

And frankly, the projects that hit their date are usually very slapdash and rushed.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Alation
Initiate

Post by Alation » January 30th, 2017, 5:01 am

Can someone with alpha access let us know when that starts? That way we can at least get an inkling about where the devolopment is at.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 30th, 2017, 9:49 pm

There hasn't been any official word in quite awhile now. As far as we know, it's still in early pre-production. I don't know if they're even in a pre-alpha stage or if the alpha will launch tomorrow.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Alation
Initiate

Post by Alation » February 2nd, 2017, 5:34 am

Thanks I just saw a pile of $55 pledges and thought that there were some people who had read somewhere that alpha had been released and had updated their pledge to get access. I was beginning to get exited.