The Bard's Tale IV Update 51: The Bard Draws Near!

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

phimseto
Developer

The Bard's Tale IV Update 51: The Bard Draws Near!

Post by phimseto » August 31st, 2018, 5:52 pm

In this latest update, Brian writes about the game's pending release and the state of the stretch goals and backer goods.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... ts/2277441
And though we promised a 25-hour game, playtests are showing it to be closer to 35+. And while it’s hard to be objective about your work, I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed playing it and found myself at many times wanting to play for “30 more minutes.” I’ve had to re-play the first 10 hours of the game at least 20 times and it’s a good sign when it’s still enjoyable.
All that and more at the link above. Enjoy!

lefty1117
Acolyte

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 51: The Bard Draws Near!

Post by lefty1117 » August 31st, 2018, 6:15 pm

That was a hell of an update. I hope the Legacy mode will make some people happy!

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » August 31st, 2018, 9:27 pm

We'll see - it does hold at least some promise based on the limited information we've been given.
cmibl<enter>

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » September 1st, 2018, 1:44 am

Between the alpha and beta, we received a number of great "throwback" suggestions in addition to the ones we already had. Taking a page from the Bard's Tale remaster, we decided to bring all of these features into what we're calling a "Legacy Mode". The bad news is that, in order to get them all in, we'll need time to iterate, so they won't be ready at release time. The good news is that the list of features is much more than we were originally intending on doing, all thanks to your suggestions. In addition to the previously discussed grid-based movement and hiding the minimap, we're also working on features such as old school scrolling text for combat, a save system closer to the original games for hardcore purists, and even an ability to bring back the "A-Team".
So, that's how they phrase "there will be no grid-based movement on release." Not that I care, it's an useless gimmick feature anyway, as they should know "thanks to our suggestions".

Implementing the "hidden minimap" must be a great task, I hope they can "iterate" it enough, so it will be well hidden in the "Legacy Mode".

"A save system closer to the original games for hardcore purists" (single slot save anywhere) is actually better, than the current checkpoint saving: We'll save before every fight, and in the case of a party wipe, we can spare a few minutes of walk, from the previous checkpoint.

If "an ability to bring back the "A-Team" means they come with their own gear (including a fire horn), so I can strip them and give it all to my freshly rolled party of 6, then it's awesome.

Last, but not least, with the implementation of "old school scrolling text for combat", they can place the final checkmark in the box, this will be a 100% original, old-school, hardcore dungeon-crawling Bard's Tale game! Congratulations!

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » September 1st, 2018, 2:47 am

Can't say I'm very hyped for BTIV (the remasters of I - III are clearly stealing the show), but at least I did appreciate the informative update. So Linux will be late, physical goods will be late (though we've been given a glimpse and they don't look too shabby), but at least we know about it in advance and can stock up on tissues in preparation for the disappointment come September 18th ;-).

In the meantime, I'll be having a blast with the remaster of BT1 (running in Wine), and that alone made the whole endeavour worthwhile to me. Anything else will be a nice bonus once it materializes ...

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » September 1st, 2018, 2:58 am

What's happened to the weekly updates about the Wishlist initiative? Am I going blind? :geek:

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 1st, 2018, 4:19 am

35 hours is pathetic for an RPG to be honest
Matthias did nothing wrong!

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » September 1st, 2018, 5:29 am

Crosmando wrote:
September 1st, 2018, 4:19 am
They have promised 25 hours, so we're getting 40% more game!
We also get 50 speaking parts, over 30 distinct locations, and over 100 pieces of music! 100! Plus 4 races, 4 classes and 14 spells!
And they have thrown in more than 7.5 million dollars of their very own, hard-earned money! How awesome are they? They only need to sell about 300.000 copies to break even!

We can also replay the first 10 hours 20 times and still enjoy it! We can enjoy kicking Melody out of the party 20 times, saving Wringneck, Daelgliesh and the Green Lady 20 times and killing the 5 groups of 100HP, 9AC paladins in "cool tactical combat" 20 times! Truly brilliant! What other game can you say the same about?

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 1st, 2018, 6:17 am

To be honest, everything about this game now seems to be low-budget and barebones

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » September 1st, 2018, 6:27 am

I believe inXile when they say that the total budget for BT4 was more than $9 million, but I cannot tell what that money was spent on. The game looks like it could have been made for 3 or 4 million.

I also don't believe they'll ever make back their investment :| My prediction is fewer than 100,000 copies sold in the first month.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » September 1st, 2018, 6:39 am

So is the combat just slower than expected or did they put in 10 hours of additional content ?

Mamut
Initiate

Post by Mamut » September 1st, 2018, 7:45 am

Well if all those people here complaining about how bad all is would learn how to code a game by themself, I bet they would make a better, greater and more fantastic game than any of these professionals can.

*sarcasm off*

If you think its not worth your money dont pay for it, if you dislike it dont play it. I like what I saw so far and only the sold copies will tell if others think its good or not worth for them.
Get constructive help them with your suggestions and maybe it will be implemented, but please stop crying about how bad the coders treat you with a game not made the exact way you tell them. OR even better write your own game and show them with your success that you can do it better. Then we have less muttering and soon another game to play and enjoy.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » September 1st, 2018, 8:43 am

Let's keep it polite, folks.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 1st, 2018, 9:36 am

Mamut wrote:
September 1st, 2018, 7:45 am
Well if all those people here complaining about how bad all is would learn how to code a game by themself, I bet they would make a better, greater and more fantastic game than any of these professionals can.
Ahhh the old "if you don't like it make your own game", haven't heard that one in a while, classic.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 1st, 2018, 10:47 am

ZiN wrote:
September 1st, 2018, 5:29 am

They have promised 25 hours, so we're getting 40% more game!
We also get 50 speaking parts, over 30 distinct locations, and over 100 pieces of music! 100! Plus 4 races, 4 classes and 14 spells!
And they have thrown in more than 7.5 million dollars of their very own, hard-earned money! How awesome are they? They only need to sell about 300.000 copies to break even!

We can also replay the first 10 hours 20 times and still enjoy it! We can enjoy kicking Melody out of the party 20 times, saving Wringneck, Daelgliesh and the Green Lady 20 times and killing the 5 groups of 100HP, 9AC paladins in "cool tactical combat" 20 times! Truly brilliant! What other game can you say the same about?
Thanks, ZiN. I'm really glad that I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, because it would've ended up on the keyboard and monitor. While I doubt inXile appreciates the biting sarcasm, it's bits of commentary like this that keep me from totally dreading these KS updates.

That said, I do hope that the Barrows Deep legacy mode ends up resembling a Bard's Tale game. I personally think that the devs would be wise to engage directly with the fan base, in the hopes of preventing further misunderstandings, such as those that led to the creation of the Barrows Deep game in its last known form.

It is interesting to note that Brian Fargo seems to be doing more of the public communication around Barrows Deep lately. Whether this is an attempt to put a mask of executive-level confidence over a desperate situation or whether it is an actual belief in the well-being of the coming product, I don't know. But, the communication pattern has shifted. Also, their announcement of a promised legacy mode may be an attempt to bolster support for the game ahead of release or an actual acknowledgement of significant discontent. I, personally, will continue to withhold support for Barrows Deep until I actually have the legacy mode in front of me and find it to be a worthy attempt at a Bard's Tale game.
cmibl<enter>

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 1st, 2018, 10:58 am

The problem is that the devs have gone for a "show everything" style of game with no real use of abstraction to make good use of limited budget, which is what blobbers are famous for. So many unique animations, 3d NPCs etc, would of been so much better to have the traditional "walk into buildings" approach where NPCs are just static screens.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 1st, 2018, 1:51 pm

Crosmando wrote:
Only a terrible RPG would be that short. Like, complete and utter garbage. Truly only a game bound to be forgotten. Utterly, utterly forgotten.

Because the measure of an RPG is how long it takes to play.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » September 1st, 2018, 2:42 pm

The legacy mode sounds interesting. Presumably it's something that can only be set at new-game time, and is then sticky for the duration of that game?

Unfortunate about the Linux delay. I realize it's a small team doing BT4, but hopefully it won't be tooooo long after the 18th.

The 19th, maybe? :lol:

lefty1117
Acolyte

Post by lefty1117 » September 1st, 2018, 4:11 pm

Honestly phimseto, I don't know why you guys even bother hosting forums the way some of these people are acting. Particularly the same group of people, over and over, thread after thread, as if it's now their personal mission to take any type of positive news and crap all over it. Best of luck, seems like you're going to need it!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 1st, 2018, 4:56 pm

Drool wrote:
September 1st, 2018, 1:51 pm
Crosmando wrote:
Only a terrible RPG would be that short. Like, complete and utter garbage. Truly only a game bound to be forgotten. Utterly, utterly forgotten.

Because the measure of an RPG is how long it takes to play.
Hate to make the old "technical limitations" argument, but that is exactly it, they literally had no more room on the disc for more dungeons, those games also utilized repeating tilesets to fit as much as they possibly could onto the discs.