The Bard's Tale IV Update 50: The Classics Return

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Bladesinger
Novice

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 50: The Classics Return

Post by Bladesinger » August 15th, 2018, 4:51 am

To all the nay sayers. Before you complain. Remember... this could hsve been abandoned with the big fiasco of the other programmer who failed to provide bt1-3. We could have NOT had remastered versions. I feel that appreciation and patience and a little gratitude are what is appropriate now. Just my 2 cents worth

balinor
Acolyte

Post by balinor » August 15th, 2018, 6:30 am

Bladesinger wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 4:51 am
To all the nay sayers. Before you complain. Remember... this could hsve been abandoned with the big fiasco of the other programmer who failed to provide bt1-3. We could have NOT had remastered versions. I feel that appreciation and patience and a little gratitude are what is appropriate now. Just my 2 cents worth
Gratitude for a good product is deserved indeed, however being critical of a poor service is also deserved. Also worth keeping in mind is that if they had decided to not provide the remastered product a fair amount of people would have been entitled to a refund (I think possibly all of the EU but I'm not entirely sure about that).

That being said, I am more than happy with the end result of BT1, I do just wish lessons had been learnt from previous mistakes so things were smoother this time around.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » August 15th, 2018, 8:44 am

phimseto wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 7:56 am
Emails have begun going out to backers. There was a delay because we opted to make a GOG version of the remasters available, and long story short the infrastructure to support backer choice of platform for the remasters only got finalized late last night on CrowdOx.
I got my GOG Key this am (8/15) and am enjoying the Remaster Volume I! I cannot tell you how delighted I am that inXile decided to honor its deal with us BTIV backers in a solemn pact made under the full moon in Brain Fargo's backyard three long years ago--and make these remasters, even though Olde Skuul (should that be "Old Skull" by now?!) demonstrated a clear inability to actually do the remasters! So thanks for upholding your end of the pact, inXile--sealed in blood beside the rim of Brian's old, dry well, into which he has personally dropped many a monster carcass, IIRC--but we won't talk about that...;) I certainly have received my money's worth, with the Irradiated Bard $75 tier: Tides, Wasteland 2 DC, BTIV, & BTI,2,3 remastered, legacy & emulated...! And more...

You know it's made me think this morning about how time flies...in 1986 I completed the original BT1 x86, then in '87 BT2 x86, and then in '89 Amiga BT 2--what a nice upgrade *that* was--and now it is the year 2018--and I am playing BT1 (remastered) again--but then, if the Amiga version of BT was a nice upgrade--this remastered version dwarfs everything that has come before. Automap, minimap, save anywhere/anytime, support for 3840x2160, and a lot more! Very happy to see that inXile was indeed savvy enough to realize the potential to generate funds by breathing new life into these old masterpieces--that sort of savvy you don't much of these days, unfortunately, from other corners. For some reason my memories of BT3 are permanently obscured by the mists of time, atm. Life is short, is it not? But all the sweeter because of creations like these.

Hopeful suggestion: Remastered Dragon Wars...! Marvelous little game. The Amiga version was a big step up there, too. I can hardly wait...;)

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » August 15th, 2018, 8:59 am

Walt, I'd love to team up with Krome again to do Dragon Wars, but we don't have the rights to it. And sorry that you had to wait so long. That was a very frustrating day for all involved. Appreciate the kind words - Brian was determined not to let this remaster fall into nothingness, and it's great to *finally* have the product out there for people to enjoy, with Destiny Knight & Thief of Fate on the way.

JOHN42877
Initiate

Post by JOHN42877 » August 15th, 2018, 10:34 am

I ordered my platinum edition through XSolla and never recieved a crowdox survey. Anyone know needs to be done by those of us that were a little late in the game to get our key for Steam?

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » August 15th, 2018, 10:38 am

Hi John, as a pre-order customer on bardstale.com, you'll be receiving the emulated versions of the original games, not the remasters. That'll be distributed to you at a later date.

ZZGO
Scholar

Post by ZZGO » August 15th, 2018, 1:28 pm

I too wish to thank InXile and Krome - the former for giving us the Remastered Edition they never promised the backers and never got money for but made happen anyways; and the latter for delivering what seems to be a pitch-perfect 2018 version of what used to be a 1984 game. (I haven't played too much yet, but I like what I'm seeing very much. Will maybe share my opinion on the Remasters in another thread later.)

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » August 15th, 2018, 2:03 pm

phimseto wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 8:59 am
Walt, I'd love to team up with Krome again to do Dragon Wars, but we don't have the rights to it. And sorry that you had to wait so long. That was a very frustrating day for all involved. Appreciate the kind words - Brian was determined not to let this remaster fall into nothingness, and it's great to *finally* have the product out there for people to enjoy, with Destiny Knight & Thief of Fate on the way.
Ah, you're welcome--no problem waiting a bit--what--one night?...;) I can hardly grouse about that, eh? Too bad about Dragon Wars, though. Sweet little game! Looking forward to BTIV and what the future holds!

PtoyonJ
Initiate

Post by PtoyonJ » August 19th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Been playing BT1 over the past day, and I have to say I"m happy with the visual upgrades and quality of life improvements.

Looking forward to legacy mode for truly going hardcore, but so far I'm enjoying the current dynamics without the need for hardcore.
You guys did a really nice job with the minimap feature / journal. For me it really recreates the key aspects of the feeling of the graph paper experience. I'm finding myself whizzing all over town at breakneck pace once again.

The visual retouches are subtle, and don't change the games mechanics to me, so I'm not resistant. Very happy to see the animations have been left " in-tact ". It was always one of my favorite parts of all these crawlers. The only :geek: moment I had is the menu buttons, which are positively screaming Warcraft color scheme, and are arguably out of place. I say don't ditch the gold, but away with that royal blue. I don't want to hear any zugzugs while I play this game.

AND, NOW TO MY QUESTION:
Where to comment on supposed bugs or issues ?
So far:
The rogue can't identify items. I'm at a loss to find the option to do so.
Not a huge issue, but did I miss something, or is it broken?

Zortok
Novice

Post by Zortok » August 19th, 2018, 1:23 pm

PtoyonJ wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 12:54 pm
AND, NOW TO MY QUESTION:
So far:
Which stores have you visited to get your items identified? ;)

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » August 19th, 2018, 1:36 pm

PtoyonJ wrote:

AND, NOW TO MY QUESTION:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19209
PtoyonJ wrote:
So far:
That is a BT3 Rogue ability - not sure that it has been implemented for the BT1 remaster yet.
You might want to see if your local equipment dealer can help you out when you need something identified.
cmibl<enter>

PtoyonJ
Initiate

Post by PtoyonJ » August 19th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Zortok wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 1:23 pm
PtoyonJ wrote:
AND, NOW TO MY QUESTION:
So far:
Which stores have you visited to get your items identified? ;)
Wait, WHAT? To use the rogue's identify ability I have to go to a store and pay the shopkeep? Are you quite sure?

PtoyonJ
Initiate

Post by PtoyonJ » August 19th, 2018, 1:46 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 1:36 pm
PtoyonJ wrote:

AND, NOW TO MY QUESTION:
PtoyonJ wrote:
So far:
That is a BT3 Rogue ability - not sure that it has been implemented for the BT1 remaster yet.
You might want to see if your local equipment dealer can help you out when you need something identified.
Odd, I think I remember the rogue having that ability back in the amiga days aka Destiny Knight. I checked the manuals and it seems I remembered wrong. I always knew the shopkeep could do it, however, every time my rogue levels up it references his identify ability as having improved, so I think you can imagine my confusion. A quick check of the old game manuals confirms what you're saying. Still, likely equally confusing for the first-timers so I've pressed the point. I'll take this comment to the link you provided. Thank you.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 19th, 2018, 3:05 pm

It was probably added to fix a problem they gave themselves...

"So, you find an item. How do you identify?"
"Oh, go to Garth's."
"Yeah, we killed him, remember?"
"Oh, dang, that's right. Well, we've got this spell..."
"Dude, that's a high level Chronomancer spell, remember? Unless they're importing, that's at least 10 hours in!"
"Um... let the thief do it?"
Alwa nasci korliri das.

PtoyonJ
Initiate

Post by PtoyonJ » August 19th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Drool wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 3:05 pm
It was probably added to fix a problem they gave themselves...

"So, you find an item. How do you identify?"
"Oh, go to Garth's."
"Yeah, we killed him, remember?"
"Oh, dang, that's right. Well, we've got this spell..."
"Dude, that's a high level Chronomancer spell, remember? Unless they're importing, that's at least 10 hours in!"
"Um... let the thief do it?"
Very likely so. Still, here's to hoping the review board will stop telling me that his ability has increased if he's actually blocked from using it.

sirtechfan
Novice

Post by sirtechfan » August 20th, 2018, 7:27 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 1:36 pm
PtoyonJ wrote:

AND, NOW TO MY QUESTION:
PtoyonJ wrote:
So far:
I assumed Identify was a passive ability for the Rogue (like critical hit), and when a magical item dropped correctly identified the ability worked, but if I found it unidentified then the ability failed. Is that not how it's supposed to work? I never played BTIII (I ran out of steam after spending waaaaaaaaay too much time figuring out the BTII timed puzzles), so identify is a new concept for me. Was it an active action for the Rogue in BTIII?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 20th, 2018, 2:26 pm

It was an activated ability in 3. You selected the item (like you would when trading) and the Rogue would get an additional Identify option.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

sirtechfan
Novice

Post by sirtechfan » August 20th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Drool wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 2:26 pm
It was an activated ability in 3. You selected the item (like you would when trading) and the Rogue would get an additional Identify option.
Gotcha, thanks. I just saw on the Steam forums that according to one of the KROME developers, the indentify skill for the Rogue has to do with traps and not items. They are considering giving the Rogue the ability to identify items like in BTIII.

Here's the quote from MaDPuPPeT in the PINNED: Patch Updated and Available in Beta Branch thread on Steam.

"Identify currently just helps with identifying traps. in BT3 you can identify items, since the shoppe is shut. Still tinkering with how we might allow that in BT1/2 to give the rogues more utility."

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 20th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Yeah, they can (or should be able to) do that too. It worked a little weird in 1 originally, so that may be new functionality (my expertise is with 3).
Alwa nasci korliri das.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » August 22nd, 2018, 1:55 pm

I just got the 1.07 patch for this game and I just got through reading about it on the GOG forum--and I have to say, *Awesome*!...I love it--I did not expect that there would be this much first-rate attention paid to the remasters and I am just delighted--and I have to also say this--I am having a lot of *fun* playing this game...;) (I am not looking for a thanks, here...;)) Indeed, I am thanking inXile...! Man, this is awesome...;) That is enough unadulterated praise and enthusiasm and smileys--I am headed back to BT1...!