The Bard's Tale IV Update 50: The Classics Return

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 50: The Classics Return

Post by thebruce » August 14th, 2018, 9:06 am

Give it time... give it time...
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » August 14th, 2018, 9:08 am

thebruce wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:06 am
Give it time... give it time...
They HAD time. But instead decided to make some last minute changes to the distribution. And once again, something doesnt add up. They started sending out keys more than an hour ago, but noone apparently has recieved any key yet?

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 14th, 2018, 9:21 am

Still no key :cry:
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » August 14th, 2018, 9:24 am

phimseto wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 7:56 am
Emails have begun going out to backers. There was a delay because we opted to make a GOG version of the remasters available, and long story short the infrastructure to support backer choice of platform for the remasters only got finalized late last night on CrowdOx.
Just to make sure. When you say 'emails have begun going out' you do actually really mean you guys actually SENT them, and not carried them out of the room in a bucket, hoping someone picks them up in front of your door? Cause apparently, noone is recieving those emails that you started sending 90 minutes ago. Do they need to go through customs? or is your internet really really really bad?

4esop
Initiate

Post by 4esop » August 14th, 2018, 9:40 am

Maybe they have LOTS of emails? I haven't seen mine yet. I know I can send like 20K an hour on my system.

barsiem
Initiate

Post by barsiem » August 14th, 2018, 9:45 am

I think the most disappointing thing about this is that mistakes are never learnt from. The backers should be the first to get keys, yet here we are waiting without any clear indication of when we can expect to receive an email. The fact they were going to be late was not communicated to us until AFTER the game had gone live. The game has now been live for nearly 2 hours and we still have no idea how long we need to wait, and no-one is communicating with us, yet it's been stated the emails are actively being sent.

Bard's Tale IV had approx 35K backers. I know little of IT but surely most of the emails should have been sent within a 2 hour timeframe?

Seriously guys this is not hard. Please can someone get a handle on what the situation is & communicate it honestly with us. If it will take 4 hours (or longer) - tell us so we're not just wondering what the hell is going on and wondering why you're being so disrespectful of us, because that is what this situation is.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 14th, 2018, 9:52 am

It was never stated that everyone would receive their email immediately on the hour.
On the contrary, emails have always started going out at launch. I don't know the mailing system being used or the ability of the people making it happen, all I know is that emails have started going out. And that forum users are a tiny fraction of people who will be receiving them, so don't be surprised if there aren't people posting here that they got it (though confirmations have begun). Have patience. If you're supposed to get it, you will get it.
@thebruce0

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » August 14th, 2018, 9:54 am

The way it looks now there is three options. Either they are unreliable, meaning they just dont care that the backers get their keys. OR they are incompetent, meaning they are unable to do what they are supposed to, OR they are liars. I mean...telling us that the keys started to be send nearly 2 hours ago, yet noone has recieved a key yet...that does sound highly unlikely.

barsiem
Initiate

Post by barsiem » August 14th, 2018, 10:02 am

thebruce wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:52 am
It was never stated that everyone would receive their email immediately on the hour.
On the contrary, emails have always started going out at launch. I don't know the mailing system being used or the ability of the people making it happen, all I know is that emails have started going out. And that forum users are a tiny fraction of people who will be receiving them, so don't be surprised if there aren't people posting here that they got it (though confirmations have begun). Have patience. If you're supposed to get it, you will get it.
Sigh... You are obviously very passionate about the game, and I respect that, but I find it unbelievable that anyone can defend the current situation. Keys could, and should have been sent out days ago. Something needed to change, fine change it, but the fact they only started to send keys when the game went live is ridiculous. The fix was in place for GOG last night, so why weren't emails started last night? You state some people would have received their key by now, but questions have been asked by multiple people on both here and the Steam forum and NOONE has answered in the affirmative - after 2 hours. That's very unlikely wouldn't you say?

I don't care about the waiting (tbh I cannot play yet anyway as I have to put the kids to bed). The issue is the lack of information from the Devs. It is immensely disrespectful, as shown by the comments by others on here.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » August 14th, 2018, 10:07 am

maybe they are hoping that the longer they wait, the more backers pay for a second key, apparently that is what people started doing on steam. i wouldnt be surprised.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 14th, 2018, 10:11 am

All I'm addressing is the angst about getting the keys.
I can't do anything about opinions for how the situation was handled - only attempt to quell concerns about reception of the game for those who should receive it.
And, to strongly recommend not casting unfounded accusations about hidden motives - even if may seem an accurate theory. That can and will get repercussive action from TPTB.
Be critical, but be civil and, ideally, productively critical - that is what helps people.

If you should receive an email, you will receive an email.
If you don't receive an email and you should, the situation will be rectified.
If you are supposed to get the game, you will get the game.
@thebruce0

balinor
Acolyte

Post by balinor » August 14th, 2018, 10:14 am

While being civil and respectful is obviously a must thebruce, I would disagree that being productively critical would be helpful. Inxile have shown again and again that they are either unwilling or unable to learn from past mistakes.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » August 14th, 2018, 10:18 am

i remember the reward i got on steam for being productively critical. A ban and my posts being deleted. I will shut up because i respect you, and what you have done for the bards tale community. but you wont change my oppinion about at LEAST one person here.

barsiem
Initiate

Post by barsiem » August 14th, 2018, 10:23 am

thebruce wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 10:11 am
All I'm addressing is the angst about getting the keys.
I can't do anything about opinions for how the situation was handled - only attempt to quell concerns about reception of the game for those who should receive it.
And, to strongly recommend not casting unfounded accusations about hidden motives - even if may seem an accurate theory. That can and will get repercussive action from TPTB.
Be critical, but be civil and, ideally, productively critical - that is what helps people.

If you should receive an email, you will receive an email.
If you don't receive an email and you should, the situation will be rectified.
If you are supposed to get the game, you will get the game.
No-one here is querying whether they will get an email, they are querying WHEN they will get an email. We were led to believe it would be today at 4pm GMT. That hasn't happened, so when will it be?

Without wishing to overlabour the point, it's very telling we're all discussing it here (and otheres on Steam) and no one from the developers are responding :(

4esop
Initiate

Post by 4esop » August 14th, 2018, 10:25 am

I do think that some are overreacting. I am however disappointed that backers that paid a lot more for a BT4 package a long time ago are waiting to play while anyone putting down $15 today is already playing. (Even if it isn't BT4 and just part of the package). It just doesn't encourage backing the games.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » August 14th, 2018, 10:53 am

thebruce wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:52 am
Just for your information, thought you might want to know: There is also noone on steam that recieved a key yet, yet least noone says they did. And considering steam is the biggest distribution partner....those emails must be going damn slow.

barsiem
Initiate

Post by barsiem » August 14th, 2018, 10:58 am

Just a heads up to you all that it's better to look at Inxile Twitter for updates. They posted this a short while ago

"Working on it now, Dan. Dealing with some infrastructure hold-ups that are causing some of the emails to be held up."

Substitute the word "some" for "all" and it might be close to the truth :lol:

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 14th, 2018, 11:05 am

balinor wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 10:14 am
While being civil and respectful is obviously a must thebruce, I would disagree that being productively critical would be helpful.
Whether someone else takes our actions as helpful is out of our control. What we can control is whether our intent is to be helpful or unhelpful. So, yeah, being productively critical would be helpful, or at the very least, fruitless. As opposed to being destructively critical which helps no one and can can get you banned. :P
4esop wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 10:25 am
I do think that some are overreacting. I am however disappointed that backers that paid a lot more for a BT4 package a long time ago are waiting to play while anyone putting down $15 today is already playing. (Even if it isn't BT4 and just part of the package). It just doesn't encourage backing the games.
That's a concern I can get behind. I've been there before too.
barsiem wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 10:58 am
Just a heads up to you all that it's better to look at Inxile Twitter for updates. They posted this a short while ago
"Working on it now, Dan. Dealing with some infrastructure hold-ups that are causing some of the emails to be held up."
Good catch. It would of course be prudent on their part to address most if not all very active social outlets, but for our part, if anyone does see any official update, by all means please share it! That may also ease some of the pressure on anyone having to do excessive damage control with only 10 fingers...
@thebruce0

immagikman
Scholar

Post by immagikman » August 14th, 2018, 11:25 am

Umm Id like to request that InExile not depend on twitter as the primary souce of information distribution MANY people do not use and are not interested in twitter.

immagikman
Scholar

Post by immagikman » August 14th, 2018, 11:27 am

thebruce wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 11:05 am
Good catch. It would of course be prudent on their part to address most if not all very active social outlets, but for our part, if anyone does see any official update, by all means please share it! That may also ease some of the pressure on anyone having to do excessive damage control with only 10 fingers...
What? they didn't issue you the eleven finger DLC when you came here?