The Bard's Tale IV Update 42: The Bard Begins His Tale...

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 42: The Bard Begins His Tale...

Post by Zombra » March 13th, 2018, 10:00 pm

So for those with Alpha access, is streaming/posting video OK? Or is there an NDA attached?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 14th, 2018, 6:36 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 4:50 pm
Given all the "tweaking the tradition" that inXile has done in other aspects of the game that have been seen so far, I'd be more concerned about choosing an appropriate title than subtitle. Something like "Auld Scotland: The Bouncing Bobbleheads' Tale", perhaps?
Good point - the seriousness of the title at least is a good thing :)
...immersing you in a highly detailed and lush world you'll want to map to its farthest reaches.
And, sad to say it, but as much as I love hand mapping, this feels forced. If this is trying to sell the game, I can imagine some young gamer going "What, map? Who maps games? And why would I want to map a 'highly detailed and lush world'? That sounds like a lot of work."
In 1-3, really it was necessity and desire that prompted mapping while playing the game. Nothing in the game box or world even really indicated "Hey, you need a pencil and grid paper to play this game!" :P It was more like a natural inclination...
With the Bard leading the way...
Touched on this in another thread, but in the trilogy, despite the title "Bard's Tale", the bard never "lead the way". Gameplay and strategy wise, the bard may have played songs, but they were always hidden deep within the party lines. The reference to the bard was, in my opinion, only because the idea was the bard was telling the story, as in the splash image, and you're the one playing the story out. Like in a film as if every few minutes hazing back out to a campfire as the storyteller continues, then hazing back in where the game is being played. It was never about the bard was actually positioned, physically or even figuratively, leading the way in the adventure itself. The bard was effectively just 'there' for the time. Sort of like, the last survivor who lived to tell the tale...

I get that the rest of the sentence was focusing on sound and music; perhaps a better wording could be "With the Bard being the series' central theme, ..."
"When we originally created the first Bard's Tale, the visuals were such that we had to rely solely on our imagination. And therein lied its charm, the mechanics that solidified its unique and memorable gameplay and dungeon crawling experience."
=)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » March 14th, 2018, 8:41 am

"When we originally created the first Bard's Tale, the visuals were such that we had to rely solely on our imagination. And therein lied its charm, the mechanics that solidified its unique and memorable gameplay and dungeon crawling experience."
+1
Back then at least 50% of my gaming experience was due to my imagination and that was a good thing.

I really hope I can turn off/disable the party chatter shown in the videos. When I create characters they should not have this kind of personality on their own without my choosing. Otherwise I will tend to perceive them as customized npcs instead of my characters and that would be a really bad thing for a rpg.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 14th, 2018, 9:00 am

PsychicMonk wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 8:41 am
I really hope I can turn off/disable the party chatter shown in the videos. When I create characters they should not have this kind of personality on their own without my choosing.
I wasn't a fan of the "flippant" style of banter in one of the prior demo videos either. I'd be OK if it had a different kind of tone to it... or yeah, if we can turn it off entirely. Typically games have some kind of volume slider for that kind of thing.

My emergency fallback plan is to hack up the audio assets with an audio editor and replace them with silence 8-)

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » March 14th, 2018, 9:59 am

Going the Wizardry 8 route is definitely a departure for the series .... but I'll be honest, I love Wizardry 8. Sometimes I like to have blank slate PCs so I can fill in their personalities in my head (Wasteland 2), but I'm looking forward to a talking party this time out.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » March 14th, 2018, 10:20 am

Zombra wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 10:00 pm
So for those with Alpha access, is streaming/posting video OK? Or is there an NDA attached?
We haven't done that before, and I don't see that changing for this.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » March 14th, 2018, 10:22 am

phimseto wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 10:20 am
Zombra wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 10:00 pm
We haven't done that before, and I don't see that changing for this.
Great.

Can i count on one of the members here to showcase the alpha then? it would be much appreciated, even if its just a general overview, thanks in advance.
Last edited by Lord of Riva on March 14th, 2018, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » March 14th, 2018, 11:24 am

Barrows Deep. Google that and you find:
Ember has a location called the Deep Barrows.
WoW has Barrow Deeps.

So you have those and you have this.

Barrows Deep without an apostrophe is weird. Barrow's Deep suggests a burial mound that lies over a very extensive burial complex that either is reached via a descending tunnel and/or is itself a multi-level structure. Barrows' Deep would mean a burial ground of multiple mounds that lie over said complex.

No apostrophe... weird.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » March 14th, 2018, 12:02 pm

It's definitely a NSFW search term on twitter.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » March 14th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 10:22 am
Can i count on one of the members here to showcase the alpha then?
I'm planning a short Twitch stream which I'll put on Youtube as well.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » March 14th, 2018, 12:57 pm

phimseto wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 2:16 pm
Three times before
Did evil's lords
Descend on Skara Brae...
An interesting piece, young bard. Is there any truth behind it? In this genre, dungeons sometimes speak louder, than words:

Unknown, Destiny, Fate... Barrows... eh, I expected something more poetic, like "Song of Ages" for instance.
Barrows Deep sounds weird, even to non-native English speakers.
thebruce wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 2:38 pm
I have to say, I like the sound of Barrows Deep, though it does seem pretty typical, not really hinting or teasing at something unusual or mysterious. It has a very Lord of the Rings type of fantasy feel, but as Drool mentioned it doesn't really follow the legacy of the past games' subtitles.
I agree, even though I like the possibility of facing:

12 Barrow Wights (10')
Drool wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 2:23 pm
...I am looking forward to the Alpha. Um... I think I bought that level. I honestly don't remember. I should check.
I hope you do, and you're planning some videos, with your opinions.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » March 14th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Zombra wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 12:28 pm
I'm planning a short Twitch stream which I'll put on Youtube as well.
Excellent. Thanks :). I didn't back the alpha level, but will be most interested to get a glimpse, even if vicariously.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » March 14th, 2018, 4:55 pm

demeisen wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 8:12 pm
I'm more interested to see if something has happened with the weird portraits, when people get their hands on the alpha / beta releases. Or at least, if it's moddable somehow.
Yeah, when I play the alpha, I will definitely be scrutinizing the bobbing and weaving cut-outs, I mean, portraits.

Don't know about whether there is going to be modding support. I think this has come up before on the forum, but I don't remember the general consensus right off hand. However, art and sound assets can often be jiggered by third parties without too much effort. Unless they decide to pack those assets into some weird resource bundle that no one has ever seen before....
cmibl<enter>

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » March 14th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Serjo wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 12:02 pm
It's definitely a NSFW search term on twitter.
That was my first reaction to the name. Bards Tale 4? I'm going 'Barrows Deep' in that, baby!
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Bladesinger
Novice

Post by Bladesinger » March 14th, 2018, 11:52 pm

The bard begins HER tale. Dont know about you guys. But my main toon is a guy aka my Avatar. All the rest including my bard are women. Sexy hot pixleated intelligent ai women! :)

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » March 15th, 2018, 5:45 am

Bladesinger wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 11:52 pm
The bard begins HER tale. Dont know about you guys. But my main toon is a guy aka my Avatar. All the rest including my bard are women. Sexy hot pixleated intelligent ai women! :)
hmmmm Pixels.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 16th, 2018, 1:59 pm

ZiN wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 12:57 pm
Drool wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 2:23 pm
...I am looking forward to the Alpha. Um... I think I bought that level. I honestly don't remember. I should check.
I hope you do, and you're planning some videos, with your opinions.
Turns out I don't. I only have beta access.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » March 17th, 2018, 1:35 am

Barrow Deep gives my Warcraft/Night Elf vibes. I think Barrow Deeps are the places were druids sleep in warcraft universe.

Apart from that, looking good. I'm really agonizing over the whole alpha test though, I want to play it but I burned myself out on WL2's beta and as a result it really reduced my enjoyment of the final product as I played Arizona to death.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » March 17th, 2018, 10:59 am

Crosmando wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 1:35 am
Apart from that, looking good. I'm really agonizing over the whole alpha test though, I want to play it but I burned myself out on WL2's beta and as a result it really reduced my enjoyment of the final product as I played Arizona to death.
FWIW this alpha demo is supposed to be about 20 minutes. :)

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » March 18th, 2018, 5:28 am

The Mage's Tale Steam launch is on March 23rd, which is also the last day of GDC. The Steam page says this:
Experience a story that takes place in the same world as The Bard’s Tale series and soon before the events of The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep!
Coordinated marketing push incoming?