The Bard's Tale IV Update #33: New Gameplay Video

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to Bard's Tale IV. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

demeisen
Acolyte

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update #33: New Gameplay Video

Post by demeisen » February 18th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Zombra wrote:There's a lot more to look forward to here. From day one Brian and inXile have talked up how engaging the combat system will be and how important that is to them. We have yet to get our hands on the proof, of course, but this has been a major development focus.
Interesting - thanks. That's something anyway. I do think there's potential for fun and cool gameplay on that front.

Too bad about the large groups, but maybe we can hope for that in a future installment, provided BT4 does well enough commercially to warrant one. Stacking multiple creatures in a square, even if you cap the visuals to 4 or something per square and indicate the group size some other way (bar over their heads?) seems like it could be done in this kind of system.

I guess I'm overall more optimistic than not that we'll get a nice game. A lot hinges on a "feel" that's hard to figure out from a video clip, although I did mostly like what I saw. Intangible stuff makes a big difference. The sense of danger - not because of graphics, but because it really is dangerous for your party to go in there. The sense of expedition and having to use your resources wisely over time. Challenge - not so much it's hopeless, but enough to make it hard, and to provide satisfaction when you get in, and finally back out, alive.

Whether I like the end result a little, a lot, or not at all, I won't be sorry I backed it. The gaming world needs more projects like this, IMHO, and fewer carbon copy $100M budget AAA-studio shooter clones.

Roger Wilco
Scholar

Post by Roger Wilco » February 18th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Ugh...sigh...not happy about this at all.

Looks great, visually, though not really in any way that makes me think of Bard's Tale. And that's pretty true for all aspects of this video and, unfortunately, all aspects of everyting we've been shown/told since halfway through the kickstarter.

I just don't see any Bard's Tale here. I really have buyer's remorse about this one.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 18th, 2017, 10:20 pm

demeisen wrote:I guess I'm overall more optimistic than not that we'll get a nice game.
Roger Wilco wrote:Looks great, visually, though not really in any way that makes me think of Bard's Tale.
I fully agree with both of these statements.

I think it'll be a wonderful dungeon crawler, but not especially Bard's Tale-y.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 18th, 2017, 10:42 pm

Drool wrote:I think it'll be a wonderful dungeon crawler, but not especially Bard's Tale-y.
I expect a fun game; but I wonder what was the point if the game isn't a BT game, except in name?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 19th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Gizmo wrote:
Drool wrote:I think it'll be a wonderful dungeon crawler, but not especially Bard's Tale-y.
I expect a fun game; but I wonder what was the point if the game isn't a BT game, except in name?
To have a good game. To borrow the meme:

What you want: Bard's Tale 4
What you'll accept: A quality dungeon crawler
What you'll get: ???
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 19th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Drool wrote:What you want: Bard's Tale 4
What you'll accept: A quality dungeon crawler
What you'll get: ???
But it didn't work out that way with FO3 [or FO4 I've read]. :mrgreen:

Best case with FO3, was that sometimes you could momentarily mistake it for something else that looked interesting. The name was poison, and never let one forget what it existed in place of... forever preventing.
Last edited by Gizmo on February 19th, 2017, 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 19th, 2017, 10:18 pm

Yes. But this isn't Fallout 3. At the very least, they're keeping some deep core components (ie: party-based).
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 19th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Drool wrote:Yes. But this isn't Fallout 3. At the very least, they're keeping some deep core components (ie: party-based).
I didn't have any problems at all accepting the 2004 Bard's Tale game; because it wasn't titled Bard's Tale 4. So far, I love the art in BT4, but it seems to suffer the exact same problem as WL2. (Good games or not; but probably good.)
Last edited by Gizmo on February 19th, 2017, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » February 19th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Gizmo wrote:
Drool wrote:Yes. But this isn't Fallout 3. At the very least, they're keeping some deep core components (ie: party-based).
I didn't have any problems at all accepting the 2004 Bard's Tale game; because it wasn't titled Bard's Tale 4. So far, I love the art, but it seems to suffer the exact same problem as WL2. (Good games or not; but probably good.)
Bingo... The Name means a LOT.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » February 20th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Over at NMA a general feeling after the Bethesda purchase was "Fallout: DC Wasteland" was perfectly fine, after all there had already been spinoffs. I suspect Bethsoft wanted to make it clear that FO3 is the way Fallout will be from now on....

InXile showed in the Kickstarter what the open game play will likely look like. It's not BT but it does look like the latest presentation. So we're getting what the Kickstarter offered but not BT.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » February 20th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Dork Mage wrote:Over at NMA a general feeling after the Bethesda purchase was "Fallout: DC Wasteland" was perfectly fine, after all there had already been spinoffs. I suspect Bethsoft wanted to make it clear that FO3 is the way Fallout will be from now on....

InXile showed in the Kickstarter what the open game play will likely look like. It's not BT but it does look like the latest presentation. So we're getting what the Kickstarter offered but not BT.
Which is kind of Dumb.

Because the game was mostly standalone anyway, the association with the previous games was in the world only(aside from some references here and there).

If they Called it "Fallout" and dropped the 3. People would have accepted it as a "reboot" of sorts. Dumb dumb dumb.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

demeisen
Acolyte

Post by demeisen » February 20th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Agreed with Drool. Of course I don't know any more than anybody else, but my speculation is that BT4 will be far more BT1 than FO3 was FO1.

It's weird to be arguing an optimistic position, since I'm really quite heavily predisposed to pessimism :D. Still, it wasn't hard for me to get past the fact that the combat system won't be exactly like BT1, because I think they could do some pretty interesting things with what they've showed. Beyond that, I could imagine it feeling a lot like a BT should feel. The graphics are of course done with modern tech (and they look great!). We saw a magic mouth in the early demo video, and it looked as if the exploration might be a lot of fun. It's set (presumably...) in the same game world. Perhaps we'll get some of the flavor of the original in other ways - e.g, interesting utility spells to help us even outside of combat.

I guess I'd urge giving it a fair shake. There are so few games that break one of just a few molds any more, that I'll take what I can get, especially if it's a genuinely fun game. It's either cool projects like this, or back to yet another console style "action RPG". Me, I'll take BT4 + Grimrock1/2 + Pillars over all the FPS-dynamic "RPGs" the world has to offer.

Editing to add: Also... wanted the devs to know there are folks out there looking forward to it. BT4 is one of only around 3 games I'm actually looking forward to at the moment.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 20th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Woolfe wrote:Bingo... The Name means a LOT.
I agree. You'll also notice one of the first replies to this thread was me mentioning that it didn't feel like Bard's Tale.

That said, I'd rather have a good game that somewhat betrays the IP than a bad game that's faithful. Or an okay game that apes another property. Luckily, that's less of a concern here since there wasn't an absurdly popular spiritual successor to Bard's Tale.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

ZiN
Explorer

Post by ZiN » February 21st, 2017, 5:22 am

demeisen wrote:I could imagine it feeling a lot like a BT should feel. The graphics are of course done with modern tech (and they look great!). We saw a magic mouth in the early demo video, and it looked as if the exploration might be a lot of fun. It's set (presumably...) in the same game world. Perhaps we'll get some of the flavor of the original in other ways - e.g, interesting utility spells to help us even outside of combat.
Exploration could be fun, if they can integrate well, grid-based maps & puzzles, with "photo-realistic" look. It should also take place in the Bard's Tale world(s) instead of Scotland. The dimension travelling in BT3 was an excellent idea, Gelidia, the three half-frozen towers of magic (white, gray, black) and Kinestia, the dwarven realm of clockwork, are the places i'd like to revisit mostly. Also Lucencia, with all the illusions and trickery, could be interesting to explore, with the new graphics engine.

Monster design is another no-brainer, to add BT flavor, although i haven't really seen anything BTish from InXile yet, i trust they will look at BT1-3 again, instead of Scottish tales. Me and Drool have already mentioned this in the previous update. For example, with the new engine we could have a modernized Rainbow Dragon, coruscating in 16 million colors, instead of 16, and hear the ominous clanking of empty suits of armor, as posessed by evil (eg. Malefic Knights).

Scottish music and Julie Fowlis are very pleasant, but the audio team should also take care of touching up and adding (at least some of) the original tunes from the classics.

In short, don't reinvent the wheel and don't go overboard with Scotty McScot Scottington!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » February 21st, 2017, 10:02 am

IMO, and I'll say it again, if the gameplay fundamentals can be presented in a BT-classic manner, then I would love to have a sort of "Classic Mode", where everything reverts to the old style interface and is heavily keyboard-playable. Some elements like combat will be different, but for things like exploring, dialogue, banter, grid, maps, etc - if all can translate to the window+scroll+partyinfo layout, with minimal animation-flare, then we can sit down and play it like a classic BT.
I would be all over that, while people who want to enjoy the 'modern' style can open up the game to the full screen graphic-heavy animated beauty that I'm sure it's bound to be.

If it can be played in a classic manner, that would be a wonderful feature to implement.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 21st, 2017, 12:40 pm

thebruce wrote:IMO, and I'll say it again, if the gameplay fundamentals can be presented in a BT-classic manner, then I would love to have a sort of "Classic Mode", where everything reverts to the old style interface and is heavily keyboard-playable.
I wonder if it's possible to have dynamic menus in Unreal4, that can read the game state, and update in realtime?

*To essentially play the game in with a 2D [BT style] screen overlay, a PC listing, the enemy portrait, the combat scroll, and to use a second camera for a centered ¼ viewport of the 3d map during exploration? :shock: 8-) :shock:

What would be interesting about this for me, is to compare the full experience, with the essential one; and see if the essential one stands on its own. IE. A CGA bootloader that's addictive enough to play for it's own sake [with the hassles], could be improved by a 2017 class AAA graphics make-over, but without the addictive gameplay, the make-over is really icing on a cake of lard.

*BTW: I was served one of those once, in a restaurant in Florida. It looked great, but turned it out that it REALLY WAS just a slice of pure Crisco with sugared icing on top, and a crust beneath. Image

Also: Both Arx Fatalis [Unofficial Underworld sequel] and Broken Age [IRRC] had an easter-egg retro-graphics shader that would alter the visual appearance to simulate DX7, and/or reduced resolution. :D I bet that could be done as a tacked on and fairly non-intrusive feature.
Last edited by Gizmo on February 21st, 2017, 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

demeisen
Acolyte

Post by demeisen » February 21st, 2017, 1:57 pm

thebruce wrote:I would love to have a sort of "Classic Mode", where everything reverts to the old style interface and is heavily keyboard-playable.
It's an interesting idea. At the very least, I wonder if something like that can be modded in by the community. I'd probably play the "new mode", but I can certainly understand the appeal for those who want an extra dash of nostalgia.

Personally I hope the game is keyboard playable (to the extent reasonably possible, anyway) even in its normal presentation.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 21st, 2017, 5:34 pm

thebruce wrote:IMO, and I'll say it again, if the gameplay fundamentals can be presented in a BT-classic manner, then I would love to have a sort of "Classic Mode", where everything reverts to the old style interface and is heavily keyboard-playable. Some elements like combat will be different, but for things like exploring, dialogue, banter, grid, maps, etc - if all can translate to the window+scroll+partyinfo layout, with minimal animation-flare, then we can sit down and play it like a classic BT.
A nice idea. However, rather than trying to implement a "classic mode" within the current IP that they're developing under the name of BT IV, an interesting alternative would be if inXile could gets its hands on the sources for the remastered version and finish that. Then, after that, they could use the engine from the remaster as the basis for implementing a new classic version (a proper BT IV) and provide that as a companion game. Bifurcating developer resources, yes, but part of the work is already done.

Seems pretty clear that they're invested in creating new IP, even if they are covering it under the "Bard's Tale" name and that they're not going to back down from their present course. Providing a classic companion game would be one way that they could extricate themselves from further alienating the fan base of the classic series and still allow them to develop this new property. Would help if they would rename the new property though; maybe Auld Scotland: a Bard's Tale or something like that.
demeisen wrote: Personally I hope the game is keyboard playable (to the extent reasonably possible, anyway) even in its normal presentation.
Likewise. But, I would say that if there is some part which cannot be played by keyboard for any reason, then they're Doing It Wrong™. :)
cmibl<enter>

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » March 11th, 2017, 12:29 am

Can't believe I missed this. Looks amazing, I'm glad that they actually went with the proper blobber approach but with the comprimise of having sprites for party members in combat (facing fowards). I believe I've seen this same thing in some Japanese blobber.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

StoneGolem
Initiate

Post by StoneGolem » April 17th, 2017, 9:21 am

demeisen wrote:
February 15th, 2017, 3:43 pm
The bad:
..but I it looks pretty odd to have my own group facing backwards when traveling. I'd be fine with not having them visible at all, or perhaps making them feel a bit more like part of the world somehow.
I, for one, was positively surprised by this approach. These 2D figures are clearly a symbolic representation of the group, so they get a "free pass" in that part of my brain which evaluates how "real" everything looks :) (while still delivering useful information). In most games attempts to draw "real" 3D characters here just breaks immersion for me.