The Bard's Tale IV Update 29: Glorious Combat

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to Bard's Tale IV. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 29: Glorious Combat

Post by IHaveHugeNick » July 15th, 2016, 7:36 am

This is funny to read, because it was the other way around with me. I skipped out on backing because I hoped it would be isometric tactics like BT 2003. But after reading their combat update my interest picked up significantly, and if the updates keep looking this good, I might end up throwing couple of coins into the hat.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » July 15th, 2016, 6:28 pm

Sacred_Path wrote:
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:I'm guessing there was a missing word, like "real-time" as in "real-time combat", since EoB and Grimrock had that. Removes the logical inconsistency you seem to be highlighting and makes sense in the given context.
BTIV is not real time, so it still doesn't make sense.
And expecting an isometric tactics game makes even less sense.
We probably shouldn't waste time dickering over the semantics of a statement made by someone who is unlikely to return and clarify the statement, but I don't see the [real-time combat] blobber statement as being directed at Bard's Tale IV. Meaning, I think Elth was just stating dislikes and likes, starting from real-time combat and working towards turn-based tactics. Included in those statements was a dislike for the phased real-time combat, which could indicate confusion over inXile's intentions about phase-based combat in BT IV. And, I don't see anything at all either criticizing or promoting isometric tactics games on account of them being isometric....

Not everyone communicates with the same degree of clarity. If you don't automatically assume that another poster is an idiot, who can't string three sentences together in a coherent fashion, then you'll probably find it easier to get along with others and have fruitful conversations with them. Then again, making snarky remarks at others and lunging to attack at even the slightest whiff of logical fallacy or inconsistency does seem to be a favorite pastime of people who hide behind pseudonyms on Internet fora.
cmibl<enter>

Sacred_Path
Scholar

Post by Sacred_Path » July 16th, 2016, 4:11 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:We probably shouldn't waste time dickering over the semantics of a statement made by someone who is unlikely to return and clarify the statement, but I don't see the [real-time combat] blobber statement as being directed at Bard's Tale IV. Meaning, I think Elth was just stating dislikes and likes, starting from real-time combat and working towards turn-based tactics. Included in those statements was a dislike for the phased real-time combat, which could indicate confusion over inXile's intentions about phase-based combat in BT IV.
Maybe it's been the same guy all along, but I've seen people professing their dislike of blobbers several times. :mrgreen:
And, I don't see anything at all either criticizing or promoting isometric tactics games on account of them being isometric....
He's citing Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Temple of Elemental Evil as the kind of game he'd like to play. What do they have in common?

Turn based combat in a blobber is different from isomentric party based combat, where positioning and control of the battlefield is key. So either way I think he set himself up for disappointment. ;)

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » July 16th, 2016, 7:48 am

Sacred_Path wrote:
And, I don't see anything at all either criticizing or promoting isometric tactics games on account of them being isometric....
He's citing Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Temple of Elemental Evil as the kind of game he'd like to play. What do they have in common?
Turn-based combat? Just like Elth says (emphasis added):
like turn-based combat similar to Wasteland, Temple of Elemental Evil and Shadowrun Returns
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 16th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Except... wasn't ToEE RTwP?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » July 16th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Drool wrote:Except... wasn't ToEE RTwP?
It was; and any sequel to it should be as well; but since Tides is effectively a spin-off (it would seem), I don't see its mechanics as being a problem really. They put it to a vote if you recall; TB won.

**But aside: I'm quite partial to TB combat myself, over RTwP.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » July 16th, 2016, 3:10 pm

I suppose I could startup my Windows gaming machine, download ToEE from my GOG library, and verify what kind of combat system it has, but a Wikipedia "fact check" says it had turn-based combat: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 4#Gameplay (2nd to last paragraph of that section)
cmibl<enter>

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » July 17th, 2016, 12:25 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:I suppose I could startup my Windows gaming machine, download ToEE from my GOG library, and verify what kind of combat system it has, but a Wikipedia "fact check" says it had turn-based combat: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 4#Gameplay (2nd to last paragraph of that section)
ToEE has just about [if not THE] best implementation of D&D combat in a computer game, to date. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 17th, 2016, 12:23 pm

It's been awhile since I played it. Perhaps I was blending its awful radial turn-based with PT's awful radial RTwP.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

chris linn
Initiate

Post by chris linn » July 1st, 2017, 12:40 am

Will the game be featuring wandering monsters like the old games (random encounters), or will the battles take place only in predefined situations?

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 1st, 2017, 9:15 am

chris linn wrote:
July 1st, 2017, 12:40 am
Will the game be featuring wandering monsters like the old games (random encounters), or will the battles take place only in predefined situations?
We can only hope, though random encounters in the older games "worked" because of how abstract the visuals were, it would be more difficult to accomplish with modern graphics without it looking weird (like the monsters appearing out of thin air in front of you). Sadly I think standard respawning of monsters would be more likely.
Matthias did nothing wrong!