The Bard's Tale IV Update 28: Character Art Progress

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to Bard's Tale IV. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

sear
Developer

The Bard's Tale IV Update 28: Character Art Progress

Post by sear » March 31st, 2016, 8:23 am

Today's update from our art director Maxx Kaufman (and some of our talented art team of course) talks about some of the monsters and creatures you'll meet in the game. This one is mostly focused on the visuals, but does have some gameplay hints too. Let us know what you think!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... ts/1533785
Magic Mouths

Almost everyone who played the original Bard's Tale games will remember the Magic Mouths. Found in the dungeon walls, they would speak riddles and hints for you, some more cryptic than others. We offered a glimpse at these in our initial in-engine video, so it's no surprise they will make a return, but we've been testing out a few new designs as well.

The Magic Mouths in The Bard's Tale IV will have a wide variety of styles. Some might appear from within stone blocks, while others have a bit more ornamentation around them. We want their designs to reflect the environments they appear in, rather than using the same everywhere. And like the classic games, their role will be to inform and assist you… but not always in the most helpful or straightforward way.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 28: Character Art Progress

Post by thebruce » March 31st, 2016, 10:45 am

I think the magic mouth implementation in the classics is a good example (inferred) of one that wasn't bound to character decision but more associated with the platform tech at the time. We only got one 'design' for the mouth, making use of the animated card view, even though the wall it was attached to may have been one of a few different designs.

So I love the fact that the mouth itself is being inserted to the different wall/environment designs - also makes them more fun to locate and rewarding to discover given the 3D nature of the world (even grid-based).

The Magic Mouth is like an other-worldly intruder into our own, so the contextual designs presented in this update excite me :)

The Trow however; something feels odd about its stance, like he's off-balance. I think the center of balance looks a little too far forward given the inverted leg structure. I think I'd expect to see the feet further ahead of the torso, or something like that... looks like he's pushed forward and trying to lean back to keep balance; doesn't seem like a natural composure.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 31st, 2016, 12:31 pm

Can't wait to see the Gore Droolers.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

sear
Developer

Post by sear » March 31st, 2016, 1:16 pm

thebruce wrote: The Trow however; something feels odd about its stance, like he's off-balance. I think the center of balance looks a little too far forward given the inverted leg structure. I think I'd expect to see the feet further ahead of the torso, or something like that... looks like he's pushed forward and trying to lean back to keep balance; doesn't seem like a natural composure.
That is a T-pose (or I guess an A-pose in the case of the Trow). It's just a way of building/showing off the model.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » March 31st, 2016, 1:45 pm

I feel like the trow should have a tail. I have no idea what a mythological trow looks like and I know goats don't have much of a tail, but that was my first thought seeing it.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » March 31st, 2016, 2:36 pm

Drool wrote:Can't wait to see the Gore Droolers.
Better odds of seeing a Loch Ness Monster.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » March 31st, 2016, 5:37 pm

Really like the Magic Mouth designs. The artwork, in general, looks good. Still not a fan of having the Trow be a PC race, but I'm fine with seeing them as foes. Hopefully, the next art update will feature some of the creatures and PC races from the originals.
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 1st, 2016, 12:06 pm

sear wrote:That is a T-pose (or I guess an A-pose in the case of the Trow). It's just a way of building/showing off the model.
He has a point, though. The switchback on the legs looks exceedingly sharp. Almost like they'd be two feet taller if they could fully extend their legs. It just seems a little exaggerated, even taking into account the fact that it's just a render test pose.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Priest4hire
Explorer

Post by Priest4hire » April 2nd, 2016, 12:33 pm

So I'm looking at that Trow and a few things stick out. And I swear I'm not trying to be negative, it just seems to happen. I'm destined to be the guy who criticizes the art. Anyhow.

Is his tibia bent? It kinda has to be. I mean, draw a straight line from his ankle up, and it ends in his thigh well above his knee. That's problematic. His tendons aren't going to want to pull in neat curves, meaning every time he loads them they will try to straighten out and will thus press and rug against his flesh and/or bone. I know enough about what happens when that sort or rubbing happens in one's shoulder to know that would suck.

He sure likes his leather, doesn't he? Vest, belt, girdle thing, straps, bands and even a bracer. Is he left handed? Wearing his bracer on his right arm suggests so. And those leather bands on his arm appear to be seamless. That's a nifty trick. I have no idea what the metal thingy on his shoulder is supposed to do. Perhaps it's meant to deflect blows up into his neck, turning maiming into a cleaner kill. Had he any survival instinct, he'd trade in all that expensive leather and buy a cheap gambeson.

Oh, and he is a man of contradictions. His kilt is torn and looks worn, the stitches on his boot like things is crude, the giant girdle has nicks and the big stomach plate appears worn. And yet his vest is immaculate and has to contain some very fine stitching, the rings in his girdle shine like they're stainless, his evil black nails are perfectly manicured and he clearly bathes on a very regular schedule.

Honestly though, at first glance I thought we was a civilian. Someone you'd talk to, like some shifty alien in the Star Wars universe. He looks more conniving and out to rip you off than a serious combatant.