The Bard's Tale Classic Trilogy Emulated is Now Available!

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to Bard's Tale IV. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: The Bard's Tale Classic Trilogy Emulated is Now Available!

Post by thebruce » October 26th, 2015, 6:26 am

Yeah, after going from 1 to 2 to 3, then going back to 1, it does kind of hurt. :P I'm pretty much with drool on his comments, except for the 'meh' :) I'm working through 2 again right now, though very very slowly due to lack of time *sigh*, but there are many things in 3 which I really love, in both lore and gameplay.

Going back to BT1 is like going back to Hobbiton after completing Mount Doom. ;)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 26th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Crosmando wrote:As above said, don't "try too hard", don't make it feel like BT4 is "looking down" on the dungeon crawler genre and apologizing, make it feel like it's embracing it and made by people who love that genre.
Completely agreed. We certainly have our differences in specifics, but it looks like we all agree on the broad strokes.

And yes, the last thing I need is another winking, sighing, "ironic" take on the Bard's Tale franchise. inXile managed to poke fun at the genre in BT2004, and that was all well and good, but I want this game to embrace the old school.

Compare the awful A Haunted House with the brilliant Dark and Stormy Night. Both poke fun at the old dark house picture, but one does it through sneering mockery, while the other does from a place of love.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » October 26th, 2015, 7:25 pm

thebruce wrote: Going back to BT1 is like going back to Hobbiton after completing Mount Doom. ;)
As someone who has read the LOTR books numerous times, I quite like that finish to that epic (and beginning to the Fourth Age). Sure, the battles were not on same scale as in Gondor and upon the marches of Mordor and, sure, the stakes were not as high, but the scouring of the Shire was a good story in its own right and the later departure of some of the epic heroes (Frodo, Gandalf, Galadriel, etc...) into the West was a nice way to wind down the larger tale. So, I consider the analogy to be a positive one and would embrace it rather than see it as a let down.

BT1 was a proper 1420.
cmibl<enter>

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 26th, 2015, 7:30 pm

well, I didn't say Hobbiton was bad, just that going back to Hobbiton after completing Mount Doom is what going back to BT1 after completing BT3 is like. Whether you consider that good or bad is entirely subjective :) but it's very different and that was my analogy. You could think of it as comparison of scale epicness, or enemy classes, or scale of exploration, or variety of discoveries, or quantity of knowledge, or whatever. But certainly understand that there's a "culture shock" type effect returning to the beginning. It's the same really for any game or epic scale story or what have you.

It's not to say BT1 is bad for it, just that's the feeling at least that I get. And I kinda like that LOTR analogy :)
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » October 26th, 2015, 7:47 pm

Sure, I know you didn't say it was bad and I didn't say that I thought that you said it was bad either. ;) I got that you find the change of scale or "culture shock" to be somewhat discomfiting.

One of my points was that one can have a nice, fulfilling story which doesn't end with an ascension to a throne (or to godhood, as the BT3 case may be). Having heroes sail off to a distant land, never to return, can be a nice ending too (and certainly leaves room for a new batch to arise at a later point in time to handle a new crisis). Another point was that you can have an enjoyable experience without playing at the world-shaking scale.

Probably something about which we might have to agree to disagree.
cmibl<enter>

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » October 26th, 2015, 9:03 pm

The thing that hurts the replayability of those early games is, imho, the thing that made it so cool and inviting at the time--the hand mapping. It lends the first playthrough a palpable air of discovery--every square, every corner turned, every wall approached--was something to unravel--a mystery to experience and to solve. Mapping it was discovering it for the first time. Going back is never the same, even if you keep the maps...because it has already been done...! It is no longer a mystery. Reminds me of Niagara falls--first time I went it blew me away; the second time I went I wondered what had happened to it--third time I really began questioning my memory...:D There was never a fourth time.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 26th, 2015, 9:14 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:Probably something about which we might have to agree to disagree.
Not sure what we're disagreeing about ;) I agree with what you said.
waltc wrote:The thing that hurts the replayability of those early games is, imho, the thing that made it so cool and inviting at the time--the hand mapping. It lends the first playthrough a palpable air of discovery--every square, every corner turned, every wall approached--was something to unravel--a mystery to experience and to solve. Mapping it was discovering it for the first time. Going back is never the same, even if you keep the maps...because it has already been done...! It is no longer a mystery. Reminds me of Niagara falls--first time I went it blew me away; the second time I went I wondered what had happened to it--third time I really began questioning my memory...:D There was never a fourth time.
That's why I don't use existing maps when I play through again :) But yes it's different, because you know what's coming up, to some degree (unless you've committed every map to memory). Mapping what you've already explored in a different session does indeed give a different experience; but on replays, I just like doing the maps, with the goal of visiting every square possible. It's good for character building, and I just like to map. I replay with different micro-goals; but then pretty much every game is like that, even FPS's - you don't have the aspect of not knowing what's around the corner, but now your goal isn't discovering something new, it's doing it better than before. Goals change. And I think we only find value in replays if we can find a goal for ourselves that we find enjoyable. If you don't like mapping, then replaying BT games may not be as enticing (whether it's from lack of discovery, or the effect reaches to your chars' development).
@thebruce0

ZiN
Explorer

Post by ZiN » October 27th, 2015, 7:17 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
thebruce wrote: Going back to BT1 is like going back to Hobbiton after completing Mount Doom. ;)
As someone who has read the LOTR books numerous times, I quite like that finish to that epic (and beginning to the Fourth Age). Sure, the battles were not on same scale as in Gondor and upon the marches of Mordor and, sure, the stakes were not as high, but the scouring of the Shire was a good story in its own right and the later departure of some of the epic heroes (Frodo, Gandalf, Galadriel, etc...) into the West was a nice way to wind down the larger tale. So, I consider the analogy to be a positive one and would embrace it rather than see it as a let down.
Well, for me, one of the main things about BT now is, that the combat is about tactically eliminating hordes of monsters and, after becoming super-heroes, even legendary creatures, such as dragons. This is one RPG, where power-gaming and mass fighting should be embraced. In a phase-based, first-person mode, with complex character and team building (deeper than WL2), involving a very extensive loot system.

So, i'm not sure about the "winding down" part... Except if they plan doing 5-6, but that would definitely bring up many issues right now, and it's a completely different topic. Apart from that, i agree, exploring the Shire was very enjoyable and a nice introduction to the masterwork.
waltc wrote:hand mapping
I (re)play BT2 and 3, using both auto and hand-drawn maps. Of course hand-drawn maps added that nice touch back then (and they still do), but today this feature would be considered obsolete by many people. I'd think more of a well-done auto-map, where the player can can put his notes and perhaps "upgrade" it, with in-game skills, or even find parts of it in the game.

We were getting a bit off-topic here technically, since we were talking about BT4, but that's fine, because the (unfixed) DOS version of the games are about the least anyone would care about a BT game right now. Except the people who can't setup DOSBox, but even then, the PC version wouldn't make the best first impression, at least they should wait for Remastered, or just watch some videos.

ps: On the second page of this thread: The old-school BT fans have spoken!

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » October 27th, 2015, 7:59 pm

ZiN wrote: Well, for me, one of the main things about BT now is, that the combat is about tactically eliminating hordes of monsters and, after becoming super-heroes, even legendary creatures, such as dragons. This is one RPG, where power-gaming and mass fighting should be embraced. In a phase-based, first-person mode, with complex character and team building (deeper than WL2), involving a very extensive loot system.
I'm with you about fighting hordes of monsters. And about the team-building and the extensive loot system. These are all things I want to see in a new BT as well. If we have a difference, it might be that I am content to let it all take place in a town and don't feel that dimension-hopping is necessary for this experience.
ZiN wrote: So, i'm not sure about the "winding down" part... Except if they plan doing 5-6, but that would definitely bring up many issues right now, and it's a completely different topic.
I think the BT4 saga can reach a crescendo (epic battles against hordes of monsters and a super-powerful boss, whereby a great victory with great rewards is achieved), but it doesn't have to end on that crescendo. I would be content with the heroes not becoming gods at the end. That could pave the way for 5 or 6, as you say, or it could just let the story finish while leaving the future of one's party to the imagination. Essentially, I'm not convinced that the attainment of omnipotence or omniscience is necessary to successfully close out a game (or an epic adventure in literature).
cmibl<enter>

Themadcow
Scholar

Post by Themadcow » October 29th, 2015, 12:56 am

Suikoden did a good job with the epic battle system by essentially making the massive fights a more tactical 'fire emblem' kind of battle where you're commanding units of troops rather than just individuals. I haven't thought it through yet, but what if you could have similar battles in BTIV using the same combat grid as used for smaller battles? Your individual hero 'blob' becomes a commander of a band of warriors, a troupe of bards or coven of spellcasters. Individual actions are replaced by commands etc.

Bit of blue sky thinking, but maybe a developer could mull it over.

A bit off-topic, errr but on the topic of players 'turning into Gods', there was an indie game a few years ago (the name escapes me) in which you start as a God but gradually become weaker as it progresses (I think that's the story behind the game - some dark force has done something which is making you mortal) and because you're losing powers throughout the game, the monsters stay the same strength but the game becomes harder... which makes more sense when you think about it.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Orpheus the Bard
Acolyte

Post by Orpheus the Bard » November 4th, 2015, 2:36 am

Sounds interesting, could you find out more about that one.

CoarseDragon
Initiate

Post by CoarseDragon » December 1st, 2015, 7:45 am

Thanks for this. One of my all-time favorite games.

joekucera2002
Initiate

Post by joekucera2002 » March 25th, 2016, 5:15 am

Is there a full screen mode? If not, there should be.

Also, it would be nice if the combat scrolling speed was configurable outside of using the arrow keys in combat, like in a config file.

SK_1759
Novice

Post by SK_1759 » March 25th, 2016, 5:25 am

Are you talking about the emulated BT or the remastered BT? This thread is for the emulated BT.
Emulated BT runs in Dosbox and is full screen.

Remastered BT does have a config file and the info can be found in the link below. Also the screen can be stretched, but not to "FULL" screen.
There is a thread for the remastered BT here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=15568
joekucera2002 wrote:Is there a full screen mode? If not, there should be.

Also, it would be nice if the combat scrolling speed was configurable outside of using the arrow keys in combat, like in a config file.

cRaZy-bisCuiT
Initiate

Post by cRaZy-bisCuiT » April 4th, 2016, 2:33 am

Will there be a LINUX version of the remastered Games?

SK_1759
Novice

Post by SK_1759 » April 4th, 2016, 5:32 am

"Currently, only Bard's Tale I is playable, and only on Windows, though we will be rolling out the other two games as well as OS X support in future versions."
cRaZy-bisCuiT wrote:Will there be a LINUX version of the remastered Games?

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » April 4th, 2016, 12:21 pm

cRaZy-bisCuiT wrote:Will there be a LINUX version of the remastered Games?
The beta runs fine using Wine. However, I too would very much prefer a native version and if I recall correctly, this was at some point hinted at (with the caveat of being released after Windows and OSX). Ah ... here it is:
Olde Sküül on June 11, 2015 wrote:Fine, fine, Rebecca will port it to Linux too. However, expect the Linux port to be released a month or two after the windows and Mac OS X versions.
Since it only ever was a comment to a campaign update, not sure if this is still going to happen or not. I certainly would applaud the move :-).

cRaZy-bisCuiT
Initiate

Post by cRaZy-bisCuiT » April 4th, 2016, 1:50 pm

I'd say they really should do that! Many people bagged because of linux and would highly appreciate the linux remastered version as well! Screwing the linux crowd is not the way to go.

Wine might run but I try to avoid that as much as possible - I'm not such a wine fan even if it's good for old games, new ones should be native. That also is true for remastered ones.

SK_1759
Novice

Post by SK_1759 » April 4th, 2016, 4:36 pm

A bit harsh don't you think?
cRaZy-bisCuiT wrote:Screwing the linux crowd is not the way to go.

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » April 5th, 2016, 2:55 am

SK_1759 wrote:A bit harsh don't you think?
cRaZy-bisCuiT wrote:Screwing the linux crowd is not the way to go.
Screwing the Linux crowd is of no significant consequence, unfortunately. And I am not sure impoliteness is helpful to our cause, either.

Otherwise, I agree. Trying to avoid Wine also (only installed it to play PS:T without having to buy a new copy from GOG) and hoping that more and more games will come with native Linux clients in the times to come.