The Bard's Tale Classic Trilogy Emulated is Now Available!

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to Bard's Tale IV. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

sear
Developer

The Bard's Tale Classic Trilogy Emulated is Now Available!

Post by sear » October 12th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Today, we're pleased to announce that The Bard's Tale I-III Classic Trilogy is available to all backers at $20 and above! This emulated version of the original Bard's Tale games is our special gift to you!

The version we've provided is the original DOS versions, emulated using DOSBox, and accessible using a custom launcher we set up to make the process easy. Through the launcher, you can also do things like change graphics filtering to fit your perfect definition of "nostalgia", and transfer characters between the games when you've finished one and want to continue in the next one!

To access this, visit your Rewards page after logging in and look for the "Downloads" button on your specific reward that includes the Classic Trilogy. You can find an online readme for the games, though you can also refer to the one included with the game.

Of course, Old Skuul continues its work on the remastered version of these games, and we'll get that version to you when it's ready. :)

chaney
Initiate

Re: The Bard's Tale Classic Trilogy Emulated is Now Available!

Post by chaney » October 12th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Awesome!!! BT1 booted just fine. Thank you.

SpiderJack
Initiate

Post by SpiderJack » October 12th, 2015, 6:21 pm

This is awesome!! Anyway to make the music stop?

North2AK
Initiate

Post by North2AK » October 12th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Does anyone know why this zip file lights up VirusTotal.com like a christmas tree. Trojan malware installed? Maybe someone who has more application security experience can determine if this is a risk.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 12th, 2015, 6:49 pm

North2AK wrote:Does anyone know why this zip file lights up VirusTotal.com like a christmas tree. Trojan malware installed? Maybe someone who has more application security experience can determine if this is a risk.
Definitely not a virus, but possibly a false positive. There might be something in DOSBox that certain AVs don't like (it's an emulator).

North2AK
Initiate

Post by North2AK » October 12th, 2015, 7:01 pm

According to Metascan its the "\EmulatedBardsTaleClassics\start.windows.exe" file that is causing some AV products to squawk. Although most of the AV products are noname or asian. The only name brand AV that I see is McAfee that says it behaves like "BehavesLike.Win32.Packed.ch" which could be attributed to a false pos.

Here are the results.
https://www.metascan-online.com/#!/resu ... /extracted

cparker94
Novice

Post by cparker94 » October 12th, 2015, 7:21 pm

As someone who played these games in the 1980's and wants to play them again for the second time, should I play the emulated versions or wait for the remastered versions? Not sure really what the difference is between "emulated" and "remastered".

Craig from Texas

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » October 12th, 2015, 7:48 pm

North2AK wrote:Does anyone know why this zip file lights up VirusTotal.com like a christmas tree. Trojan malware installed? Maybe someone who has more application security experience can determine if this is a risk.
The start.windows.exe is a compiled version of the windows.bat. You can use either to launch the games (they are identical). We made the start.windows.exe to give people a friendly looking icon and familiar ".exe".

It's unfortunate the value brand AV scanners are listing it as a false positive. :( If you're still concerned: simply delete the start.windows.exe and use the windows.bat [double-click on it like you would any normal program]. start.windows.exe isn't encrypted in anyway, so if you have the skills, feel free to reverse engineer it. :ugeek:
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

HawkSlayer
Novice

Post by HawkSlayer » October 12th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Haha, nice. Boots up just fine, no load times really. Annoying DOS music sounds though.. Still looking forward to the remastered now.

The remastered versions are recompiled versions of the game so that they will literally run in windows without an emulator. In addition, Becky Burger is personally choosing her favorite sound and picture files from all the best versions(Apple IIGS, Amiga) and blending them into the remastered version with auto-maps and slight enhancements as well. So yeah. it's fun to replay the old version but it's in a dosbox and it's the DOS version with the BLEEP BLEEP sound kinda sad.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » October 12th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Odd that you chose the DOS versions, given that they're graphically inferior (also aren't they particularly buggy?)

Not that it really matters though with the Enhanced editions coming out.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » October 13th, 2015, 1:29 am

Crosmando wrote:Odd that you chose the DOS versions, given that they're graphically inferior (also aren't they particularly buggy?)
Since BT2K4 comes with the Apple versions: we've had a pretty steady stream of people requesting we release the DOS versions (which was the version most people likely played). So with this release we are fulfilling a lot of long standing wishes.

Apple, Amiga, DOS, Atari, etc. all have really interesting differences between them. But the choice between which is the "best" version is really all in the eye of the beholder. :lol:
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

Themadcow
Scholar

Post by Themadcow » October 13th, 2015, 3:25 am

cparker94 wrote:As someone who played these games in the 1980's and wants to play them again for the second time, should I play the emulated versions or wait for the remastered versions? Not sure really what the difference is between "emulated" and "remastered".

Craig from Texas
I'd wait for the remastered versions tbh. Played the emulated versions a few times over the last few years and while it's a good dose of nostalgia, from what I've seen of the Remasters they'll be worth the wait.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

cparker94
Novice

Post by cparker94 » October 13th, 2015, 5:06 am

Themadcow wrote:
cparker94 wrote:As someone who played these games in the 1980's and wants to play them again for the second time, should I play the emulated versions or wait for the remastered versions? Not sure really what the difference is between "emulated" and "remastered".

Craig from Texas
I'd wait for the remastered versions tbh. Played the emulated versions a few times over the last few years and while it's a good dose of nostalgia, from what I've seen of the Remasters they'll be worth the wait.
Well, that sums it up for me then. I will wait for remastered then. Thanks!!

Craig from Texas

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 13th, 2015, 8:19 am

SpiderJack wrote:This is awesome!! Anyway to make the music stop?
In the DOS version, you should be able to press V to mute. If I recall, that's the same in each game.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

alcapwndu
Initiate

Post by alcapwndu » October 14th, 2015, 8:48 am

Has any one else seen the "secrets.txt" file in the data folder? It's a fun little puzzle to figure out if you are bored.

If you don't want to bother figuring it out, I will transcribe the converted version below,

Oh, hello again. I guess you're here for an easter egg.

Why did the rogue break into the music shop?
She was after the lute.

[Launcher Credits]

inXile Entertainment

System Tools:
Jason Dora

Testers:
Eric Schwarz
John Winocur

Thanks to all the backers for helping us make Bard's Tale IV a reality.
Last edited by alcapwndu on October 14th, 2015, 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SpiderJack
Initiate

Post by SpiderJack » October 14th, 2015, 9:21 am

thebruce wrote:
SpiderJack wrote:This is awesome!! Anyway to make the music stop?
In the DOS version, you should be able to press V to mute. If I recall, that's the same in each game.
I'll give that a try when I get home. Thanks!

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » October 14th, 2015, 10:54 am

Virus Total is much more of risk...;) Probably the biggest nuisance today is false positives. Probably there are many more of those than actual malware findings...

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 14th, 2015, 11:19 pm

cparker94 wrote:Not sure really what the difference is between "emulated" and "remastered".
Emulated uses an emulator to make your computer pretend to be an older system. In this case, it's DOS Box. Other emulators include things like MAME for arcade games, SNES9X for the Super Nintendo, or CCS64 for the Commodore 64. Or WINE, which lets Macs run Windows programs. It's like a translator.

Remastered is taking the old game and changing the programming so it runs without an emulator. It'll often upgrade things like graphics and music, as well as squash bugs.

You remember those old adapters that plugged into an 8 track player so you could play cassette tapes? That's an emulator. Remastered is... um... like the late-90s re-release of Star Wars with the extra scenes and stuff.

But please don't take that analogy to mean remasters are always awful!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

cparker94
Novice

Post by cparker94 » October 15th, 2015, 5:20 am

Thank you for putting that in perspective for me. I think I'll just wait for the remastered ones then. I don't want to play the games if there are bugs. Besides, maybe the remastered versions will have some art I haven't seen before. I played the originals on my Apple IIe and I heard Burger is using art from the Apple IIGS which I've never played.

Craig from Texas

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 15th, 2015, 6:27 am

Yeah I kind of wondering why they released another emulated version of the classics, and the DOS versions no les,s when those are out all over the wild for anyone who wants to download an play them. But I can understand the desire to have an official packaged release for the full and current BT4 audience who may not yet know of the availability of the classics; retains some control over how people experience them (even if imperfect :P)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0