The Bard's Tale IV Update 25: Backer Site is Now Live!

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to Bard's Tale IV. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

sear
Developer

The Bard's Tale IV Update 25: Backer Site is Now Live!

Post by sear » September 24th, 2015, 1:08 pm

Hey all,

As we mentioned in our last update, one of our big tasks after the Kickstarter wrapped up was getting a backer site together so you guys could register, provide us with your information and claim some of your bonus rewards and goodies for your generous support during the Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter campaign. Good news: the backer site is ready for you right now!

To continue reading the update and visit our backer site, check here: https://bardstale.inxile-entertainment. ... view&id=45

Overlord Tulip
Initiate

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 25: Backer Site is Now Live!

Post by Overlord Tulip » September 24th, 2015, 2:51 pm

As one of my bonus rewards, I picked the Wasteland 2 novella compilation. For some reason, though, where the Torment novellas offer a very nice range of format options on their download page (AZW3, EPUB, MOBI, and PDF), the Wasteland 2 ones offer exclusively PDF. Is that likely to change? Because I tend to prefer EPUBs over PDFs when I can get them, so if EPUB downloads are likely to be available in the future, I might just hold off on downloading the novellas until then.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » September 24th, 2015, 3:05 pm

I have registered for this using the same e-mail address that I used for Wasteland 2. Is the linking process automatic or do I have to contact someone as I do not have any of the loyalty stuff.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 24th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Overlord Tulip wrote:As one of my bonus rewards, I picked the Wasteland 2 novella compilation. For some reason, though, where the Torment novellas offer a very nice range of format options on their download page (AZW3, EPUB, MOBI, and PDF), the Wasteland 2 ones offer exclusively PDF. Is that likely to change? Because I tend to prefer EPUBs over PDFs when I can get them, so if EPUB downloads are likely to be available in the future, I might just hold off on downloading the novellas until then.
We're looking into this presently, we'll see if we can get the other formats up.
Ronin73 wrote:I have registered for this using the same e-mail address that I used for Wasteland 2. Is the linking process automatic or do I have to contact someone as I do not have any of the loyalty stuff.
Should be automatic provided your Wasteland 2 pledge(s) are under that email. We can read the Ranger Center site data, we just can't reuse the accounts themselves.

34bluesalamander34
Initiate

Post by 34bluesalamander34 » September 24th, 2015, 4:14 pm

I was wondering how to get my Classic Bards Tale album with manuals.

Horust
Initiate

Post by Horust » September 25th, 2015, 4:49 am

From KS FAQ:"
Will I get a game DVD in the various physical boxes?
Yes. A game DVD is included in all game boxes.
" - I can't find this info at the several BOX-Versions, but this is still valid?

examples:
Item: Premier Collector's Edition
An exclusive premium boxed copy of The Bard's Tale IV. This large old-school box comes packed with all sorts of special goodies. Thank you for backing The Bard's Tale IV!

-> this comes at 40$ (box only) but also at 65$ (but a pyhsical game is included there also?):
Item: Collector's Album Box
A backer-exclusive physical boxed copy of The Bard's Tale IV. This box comes in a premium old-school "album style" format that resembles the original Bard's Tale trilogy of games.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 25th, 2015, 5:15 am

Why are they using DVD's? Use Blurays ffs it's not 2005.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 25th, 2015, 6:23 am

Not everyone has a bluray capable CD drive in their desktop. And I highly doubt they'd have enough game content to require bluray capacity, pre-install.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 25th, 2015, 6:32 am

34bluesalamander34 wrote:I was wondering how to get my Classic Bards Tale album with manuals.
If you're referring to the classic Bard's Tale 1-3 games, those aren't online yet, still working on getting those for our backers.
Horust wrote:From KS FAQ:"
Will I get a game DVD in the various physical boxes?
Yes. A game DVD is included in all game boxes.
" - I can't find this info at the several BOX-Versions, but this is still valid?
Should be, as far as I know there aren't any changes.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 25th, 2015, 7:07 am

thebruce wrote:Not everyone has a bluray capable CD drive in their desktop.
I find that hard to believe, they have been standard on desktop computers for a long time now.

And I highly doubt they'd have enough game content to require bluray capacity, pre-install.
One disc for the game is better than a whole bunch of discs. Also cheaper.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 25th, 2015, 7:11 am

Crosmando wrote:
I find that hard to believe, they have been standard on desktop computers for a long time now.
Well believe it.
And I highly doubt they'd have enough game content to require bluray capacity, pre-install.
One disc for the game is better than a whole bunch of discs. Also cheaper.
One cheaper disc for the game is better than an unnecessarily large disc that isn't cheaper.
If it fits on a DVD, there is zero reason to go with bluray.
@thebruce0

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 25th, 2015, 7:24 am

Did they even fit Wasteland 2 on a single DVD (for backers)? GOG says it's about 9.2GB (compressed) which I don't think even fits on a double-sided DVD. You can guarantee BT4 is going to be much bigger than that because first-person means the textures will be much higher res.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 25th, 2015, 8:05 am

*shrug* We'll see. If they do go with bluray, I would expect they would offer alternate sources for the game, whether DVD or a digital download. Exclusive bluray distribution would be ridiculous.
@thebruce0

Medivac
Initiate

Post by Medivac » September 25th, 2015, 8:16 am

Hi, I was just about to redeem my Wasteland 2 Directors cut reward, but when I select it it just says standard. If I get it now will it update to Directors cut? or should I wait until October 13th?
Cheers

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » September 25th, 2015, 11:00 am

Crosmando wrote:
I don't have blu-ray in my PC, and it's fairly high end. But I also debated about even having a DVD drive. I only did because they are so cheap. I haven't even used it. All the drivers and files for initial setup I put on USB. Total waste of $15.

Euclidean
Novice

Post by Euclidean » September 25th, 2015, 11:12 am

Crosmando wrote:
I don't have one in my desktop, it's a few years old but it still plays all the games I want to play with no issues.

I also just went to dell and most of their desktops don't come with blueray as the default option. (Check both stands and alienware gaming desktops quickly)

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » September 25th, 2015, 11:53 am

I can buy a 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue HD for ~$50-$60...or a cheap BR R&W drive for the ~same price--that'll do maybe a 50GB disk, tops, at a fraction of the speed of the HD. I 'll leave my BR player in my den connected to my TV...I 100% segregate my computer & TV usage...;) BR R&W drives are fine if you have some professional use for them, or if you just prefer them for some reason--sure--but I'm going to be downloading these games when I buy them and they'll go straight to HD or SSD--no need for an optical drive as an intermediary. For backup I have the source, GOG, Steam, etc. I'd rather spend the money for SSD's & more Internet bandwidth when it comes down to it than on a BR R&W drive for data storage.

I can see the point for larger disks if you are bandwidth-starved, certainly, however...;) I still keep a cheap optical DVD R/W drive around with a few R/W disks...for a use every blue moon. I even have a 1.44MB floppy USB drive that still works fine for small client-to-client file transfers I can't do across a network--(R/W DVD is just overkill for that kind of thing.)

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » September 25th, 2015, 12:00 pm

Crosmando wrote: I find that hard to believe, they have been standard on desktop computers for a long time now.
Some of us build our own machines. Last time I had a physical drive was like 5 years ago or more.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 25th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Medivac wrote:Hi, I was just about to redeem my Wasteland 2 Directors cut reward, but when I select it it just says standard. If I get it now will it update to Directors cut? or should I wait until October 13th?
Cheers
The updated version will show up in your game library once it is released. In this case, Standard Edition means that it just doesn't come with any of the Digital Deluxe extras etc.

Medivac
Initiate

Post by Medivac » September 25th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Thanks Sear, looks like I'm waiting then :)