The Bard's Tale IV Funded

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to Bard's Tale IV. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Brother None
Developer

The Bard's Tale IV Funded

Post by Brother None » July 10th, 2015, 6:33 pm

The Kickstarter has ended! 33,738 backers pledged $1,519,495

Just wanted to put a thread up to say thank you all again for your continued support, both in money put in, helping to spread the word and of course your input and feedback. Now to take a weekend off after this crazy month (a month+ long Kickstarter and E3 was not good for my sanity), and then right back to the grind!

Thanks all!
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Funded

Post by IHaveHugeNick » July 10th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Congrats! 120% of asking funds is still huge success, especially since this was one of highest starting budgets for Kickstarter game. But hopefully you guys learned some lessons for the future, because the entire campaign basically never took off apart from great first few days. The last day rush which high profile projects always have, basically just wasn't there.

Last two stretch goals were a bit mismanaged I gotta say, 200k jump was too much when you were barely making 5k a day, people saw there's no chance of reaching 1.7 and it just sort of stagnated.

I gotta say you were also rather unlucky with bunch of very high profile Kickstarters coming out of nowhere at the same time.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Planet Roq
Initiate

Post by Planet Roq » July 10th, 2015, 8:03 pm

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing about updates and milestones!

Is it 2017 yet? :D

Capt_Kangaroo
Initiate

Post by Capt_Kangaroo » July 11th, 2015, 12:55 am

Never played the original, but I backed for the collectors package. Looking forward to Rebecca reworking Bard's 1,2,3.

Cheers

ZioYuri78
Initiate

Post by ZioYuri78 » July 11th, 2015, 1:06 am

Congrats to devs and all backers! :D

Vainamoinen
Novice

Post by Vainamoinen » July 11th, 2015, 1:28 am

All right, that was easy. :)

So how's this going to proceed? In what way will inxile contact e.g. their PayPal backers? Will there be a special account like for Numenera?
Only a moral person can be in a dilemma. An evil choice is a black and white choice. Showing the player his action’s consequences is always “preaching”. Possible allegory to RL issues is always “political”. And these are still all valid design decisions.

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » July 11th, 2015, 2:27 am

Congratulations to the team!

I wish you a great time on development, be brave with the ideas and enjoy the freedom!

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » July 11th, 2015, 6:14 am

Congrats to the team!

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » July 11th, 2015, 7:02 am

Vainamoinen wrote:So how's this going to proceed? In what way will inxile contact e.g. their PayPal backers? Will there be a special account like for Numenera?
We'll set up a backer site which AFAIK will be based on the Torment backer site code. I don't have an ETA, but will note it takes Kickstarter a few weeks-ish to finalize pledges (they give "failed" pledges another chance, etc), so at the least we're waiting on that.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 11th, 2015, 7:24 am

Brother None, will BT4 be designed in pre-production based only on the Kickstarter/PayPal budget, or will it be designed as a larger game with the expectation that WL2 Director's Cut and Torment profits will be forthcoming by the time BT4 goes into production? I know you probably can't say, but it's worth asking.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Azsh
Initiate

Post by Azsh » July 11th, 2015, 7:29 am

Congrats! Cant wait! I remeber the first time I saw Bards Tale in action on an Apple and I had to have it. I had a Commodore 64 and spent hours in 1 2 and 3 in the upcoming years. Lots of good memories! This trilogy really started my love for gaming. Thank you devs for resurrecting it!

Johnny Candles
Initiate

Post by Johnny Candles » July 12th, 2015, 8:34 am

Brother None wrote:
Vainamoinen wrote:So how's this going to proceed? In what way will inxile contact e.g. their PayPal backers? Will there be a special account like for Numenera?
We'll set up a backer site which AFAIK will be based on the Torment backer site code. I don't have an ETA, but will note it takes Kickstarter a few weeks-ish to finalize pledges (they give "failed" pledges another chance, etc), so at the least we're waiting on that.
Oh good I had this same question. Also waiting patiently for my free Bard's Tale 1-3! Oh the memories playing on my C64.

Jordan Joestar
Acolyte

Post by Jordan Joestar » July 12th, 2015, 10:05 am

Congratulations. :)
I'm a proud backer and I ungraded my pledge from 20$ to 33$.
Anyway, when we will see some gameplay videos I'll upgrade again my pledge for the Collector's Edition.
My resolve will open a path!

Vainamoinen
Novice

Post by Vainamoinen » July 13th, 2015, 3:45 am

Brother None wrote: We'll set up a backer site which AFAIK will be based on the Torment backer site code. I don't have an ETA, but will note it takes Kickstarter a few weeks-ish to finalize pledges (they give "failed" pledges another chance, etc), so at the least we're waiting on that.
Perfect, thanks. PayPal backing is so low in response... you're just sending money into the void, waiting for weeks for a response... :|

Until August, then. :lol:
Only a moral person can be in a dilemma. An evil choice is a black and white choice. Showing the player his action’s consequences is always “preaching”. Possible allegory to RL issues is always “political”. And these are still all valid design decisions.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » July 13th, 2015, 7:40 am

Crosmando wrote:Brother None, will BT4 be designed in pre-production based only on the Kickstarter/PayPal budget, or will it be designed as a larger game with the expectation that WL2 Director's Cut and Torment profits will be forthcoming by the time BT4 goes into production? I know you probably can't say, but it's worth asking.
We will be putting our own funding into the game, including game sales, and we'd already committed to putting at least $1.25 million of our own cash in at the start of the Kickstarter. We're still looking at minimum a game with a budget around $2.5 million, and that may well grow over time just like it did with Wasteland 2 and Torment.

iDisOrder
Initiate

Post by iDisOrder » July 13th, 2015, 1:03 pm

Just chiming in to congratulate the successful funding campaign.
Happy to be a part of this one as I own/played all Bard's Tale games so far.
Very excited to see the latest installment

Orpheus the Bard
Acolyte

Post by Orpheus the Bard » July 16th, 2015, 12:44 pm

I backed it on the Behind the Scenes - Premium Collectors Edition tier, and only just managed to pay them today. There was just a bit of confusion between Pay Pal and my bank account. I transferred the money to them and this took a couple of days before the KS ended and then was told they don't take money from Pay-Pal So, I had to wait a few more days for the money to be returned to my normal bank account.

Wouldn't have been a problem if I still had my savings in there.