The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is NOW LIVE!

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to Bard's Tale IV. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is NOW LIVE!

Post by Woolfe » June 8th, 2015, 8:43 pm

jrodman wrote:The rewards tiers seem pretty clear that physical copies will be created, and the promise is to provide the game DRM-free on GOG.com.
It would be a nice touch to promise the Steam copy also DRM-free (totally doable, just don't make the game require the steamworks interface), but that's nitpicking. Also if you talk about DRM-free Steam copies, the message will be diluted as people argue about whether that is possible and so forth.
Yep. WL2 only needed Steam for the Installation, after that it was DRM free.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Caerdon
Scholar

Post by Caerdon » June 8th, 2015, 11:22 pm

citizen_x wrote:Maybe i missed it, any info about DRM/physical copies ? Also, well, the question may seem stupid, buuut, will the game ship finished ? ...
Maybe its too early to ask this sorta technical questions.I really hate steam, gog is kinda better, but still, nothing beats just installing the game and playing.And last time i played this sorta game was probably with might and magic series, ishar, black crypt and other amiga games :) .Anyhow, good luck to inxile.
GOG Galaxy does just that.

citizen_x
Novice

Post by citizen_x » June 9th, 2015, 6:25 am

While GOG is good alternative to steam, it still requires you to go online and download your copy and register.I once bought everything physical, thats why im asking about physical distribution model, will it have normal installer (best), gog installer (pretty much good) or steam installer (bad, as you cant install without steam and online connection). As for the finished question, well my thoughts were that W2 got shipped about 3 updates too early (tbh they just recently made a real crackdown on bugs) .im Just asking and signaling a simple idea, steam installers are useless.But i like physical copies and i will pay more for them :).

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » June 9th, 2015, 8:57 pm

citizen_x wrote:While GOG is good alternative to steam, it still requires you to go online and download your copy and register.I once bought everything physical, thats why im asking about physical distribution model, will it have normal installer (best), gog installer (pretty much good) or steam installer (bad, as you cant install without steam and online connection). As for the finished question, well my thoughts were that W2 got shipped about 3 updates too early (tbh they just recently made a real crackdown on bugs) .im Just asking and signaling a simple idea, steam installers are useless.But i like physical copies and i will pay more for them :).

1 - Regarding Gog. The games from GOG do not require you to have an account. However, GOG requires you to have an account in order to provide you download access to the game. It is possible to improve on this (for example see humblebundle.com) but I'm not sure why it really matters. Once you have the game, the installer works without phoning home etc.

2 - Physical copies (boxes, etc) are promised, and given that phonehome-free installers will exist, it would be absolutely criminal if the boxed copies had any of that nonsense. I think it's fair to ask for a clear answer on this point of course.

3 - It's entirely uncear whether physical boxes will ever exist for non-backers. But I personally doubt it.

citizen_x
Novice

Post by citizen_x » June 10th, 2015, 4:51 am

In the case of wasteland 2 and most probably torment, physical copies with manuals etc were/willbe in stores normally, so i would guess there will be.However W2 had steam installers, and even backers got their dvds without steam after a long while thats why im asking about this.Its also a reason i bought pillars on gog only as a digital copy.
Would be nice to know why they are putting steam installers on retail media.

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » June 11th, 2015, 10:02 am

citizen_x wrote:However W2 had steam installers, and even backers got their dvds without steam after a long while thats why im asking about this.
Oh, so that's why my box of wasteland 2 took MONTHS to arrive?

sear
Developer

Post by sear » June 12th, 2015, 6:35 am

jrodman wrote: Oh, so that's why my box of wasteland 2 took MONTHS to arrive?
The regular backer boxes were only delayed a little over a month after digital release. The Collector's Editions ended up getting delayed longer than we hoped due to unforeseen shipping/manufacturing issues. Obviously we would have liked it so that those delays hadn't occurred.
citizen_x wrote:In the case of wasteland 2 and most probably torment, physical copies with manuals etc were/willbe in stores normally, so i would guess there will be.However W2 had steam installers, and even backers got their dvds without steam after a long while thats why im asking about this.Its also a reason i bought pillars on gog only as a digital copy.
Would be nice to know why they are putting steam installers on retail media.
For retail, publishers like Steam because it's a well-trusted platform for gamers, the PC market leader, and it ensures smooth auto-updates and alleviates concerns over requiring a 100% final gold master. There is about a 6 week turnaround in manufacturing game discs. This meant in the pre-Steam ages that a game would need to be "done" months before its release date. Furthermore, you couldn't guarantee more than a fraction of customers would patch the game after buying it, leading to more support overhead, and even negative reviews etc. Even if you can create a built-in auto-update system, game updates are often big and there's a lot of cost involved in setting up server infrastructure to distribute updates.

Steam (and other systems like it) take a lot of these burdens off of developers and publishers, and also give some convenience for end users (like auto-updating, community features, and so on). Most users also appreciate the consistency and familiarity that a platform like Steam offers, rather than needing to use a proprietary installer or updater for every single game. Obviously, this isn't the best if you don't like Steam, or have a spotty Internet connection, but there are always trade-offs involved in any sort of distribution decision.

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » June 12th, 2015, 6:42 am

sear wrote:
jrodman wrote: Oh, so that's why my box of wasteland 2 took MONTHS to arrive?
The regular backer boxes were only delayed a little over a month after digital release. The Collector's Editions ended up getting delayed longer than we hoped due to unforeseen shipping/manufacturing issues.
Incidentally, I wasn't really trying to complain, it was just kind of unexpected. The only thing that made me care was that I had a coworker who kept bothering me to start playing.

However thanks for the information!

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 14th, 2015, 2:03 pm

99% funded :D

Caerdon
Scholar

Post by Caerdon » June 14th, 2015, 7:39 pm

We still need $700... I don't think we'll make it.

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » June 15th, 2015, 12:51 am

Oh no, now we have TOO MUCH money. Everyone stop, stop. We don't have 1,250,000 anymore.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 15th, 2015, 4:41 am

when will paypal be online?

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 23rd, 2015, 1:51 pm

first stretch goal reached! 1.313.527 $ atm! Enhanced Companion NPC System and 2 more CNPCs

i quess a few hundred dollars were also pledged via paypal :D

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 25th, 2015, 12:22 pm

over 30.000 backers :D

i think youve made a mistake with the social media achievments. There should be 13 rooms unlocked, but it only shows 12 unlocked rooms. By the way, did you take a look at the facebook page in the last time? There were a few new submissions.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » June 25th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Yeah, for all the bitching how its supposedly going badly, its already funded with one stretch goal achieved, with plenty of time to go. And all that in a time of biggest concentration of high-profile Kickstarters we've had in a while.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 25th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Tets wrote:i think youve made a mistake with the social media achievments. There should be 13 rooms unlocked, but it only shows 12 unlocked rooms. By the way, did you take a look at the facebook page in the last time? There were a few new submissions.
I'm sure they're updating it every few days or so; can't expect them to run to the board every time a new Facebook post is made :)

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 25th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 25th, 2015, 1:15 pm

they updated the social achievments graphic in the last days (yesterday or today i quess), but they already missed a room in their previous update. So i think they caried over this mistake, only counting the new rooms, but not the rooms in total. Its 13 rooms, not 12. I was just wondering about the social media achievements, because it doesnt seem inXile has any updated statistics for the users, to encourage them to contribute. I.e how many Kilt Photos do we need to reach the next goal, how many songs, fan art.. they are also very shy posting the contributions made.. theres not enough communication for social media related pr..

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 25th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Yeah, I agree they should pump it up a little more, it's a cool promotion.

Priest4hire
Explorer

Post by Priest4hire » July 5th, 2015, 12:56 am

Ok, I tried to resist but now that he's in the banner, I just can't. The bard. The one in the banner that has a full body shot on the kickstarter page. He's just a really sad example of a bard. Right off the bat is his lute with what, 3 courses or 6 but with only a single string per course? That's just weak. What self respecting musician plays on such a pathetic example of a lute? 5 courses with 9 strings would be more like it.

He's got permastuble. I can only assume he's mastered the song for standing too far from his razor. I'm sure the inns will rush to hire the guy with his lack of basic grooming skills. And one pauldron. Cause I guess only one shoulder needs the protection? I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's brigadine what with the rivets, but I suspect they just connect the pieces. So yeah, his musical career is good he can only afford one pauldron and a sad lute.

Oh, and that disc. It's a kind of rondel called a besagew. The purpose is protect the gap between the cuirass and pauldron under the arm. Note that you need a cuirass for this gap to exist. Otherwise the bad guys are just going to aim everywhere else. Why try stabbing him there of all places when his soft belly is wide open? But I suppose his thin wages didn't cover the cuirass and the besagew was all he could afford. Maybe it was a package deal with the single leather pauldron. If nothing else, I suppose it's nice to see guys can wear really stupid armour as well?

Oh, and his sword. It's really short. That long two handed hilt and a blade that would be stubby on a one handed sword looks out of whack. Poor guy can't even afford a proper length sword. Some guy with a real longsword will come along and skewer him at a distance his blade won't even reach. You see this walking disaster recruiting and you should run, not walk, away. Can you imagine him in charge of anything? Only thing he's good at is looking with a ponce with inexplicably bad facial grooming. And leather pants. What's up with that?

PS. Are those modern style thick rubber soles? Huh, I guess Garth must have had some combat boots that survived the destruction of Skara Brae and they'd been found and sold off. Or the bard stumbled across a pair. That'll come in real handy.