The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is NOW LIVE!

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to Bard's Tale IV. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is NOW LIVE!

Post by ffordesoon » June 3rd, 2015, 4:22 pm

Popping in to say congrats on a great start to the campaign, inXile. :D

In re the lack of "true" phase-based combat: I'm not sure this is something that will come through until they show an example of how combat will work in practice, but I do think it's worth noting that they were very careful to call it "dynamic phase-based combat" in every interview I've read, and have talked about making changes to the combat system so it's not just the same old thing.

The quoted passage which has caused consternation is worded somewhat ambiguously, but my suspicion is that the combat system will be both more familiar than you're expecting, and less familiar than the diehardiest of diehards want. Given that they also mention (or at least heavily imply) separate attack and defense phases, I would imagine that what's being pictured with mild disdain by some in this thread is not quite what we're getting. But we're likely not getting Bard's Tale 3+ either. It'll be a noticeably different system from that of the previous games, I can assure you of that.

I don't know if initiative is out, but I'm not sure I'd miss it if it were - there are more interesting deterministic or semi-random ways to do the same thing. If there's one thing I've learned in my time on these boards, though, it's that someone will always miss something. :lol:
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 3rd, 2015, 6:22 pm

Only two things stood out to me, regardless of the 'phase' term used; at least this is what it sounds like:
1) Character actions happen as soon as you commit, when moving to the next character in your party
2) Your party actions are carried out together, and then the enemy actions are carried out; rinse repeat

That implies a different strategic mechanic in combat than the classics, and is sort of vague... definitely looking forward to some gameplay footage to learn exactly what was meant!
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » June 3rd, 2015, 7:39 pm

thebruce wrote:Only two things stood out to me, regardless of the 'phase' term used; at least this is what it sounds like:
1) Character actions happen as soon as you commit, when moving to the next character in your party
2) Your party actions are carried out together, and then the enemy actions are carried out; rinse repeat

That implies a different strategic mechanic in combat than the classics, and is sort of vague... definitely looking forward to some gameplay footage to learn exactly what was meant!
The thing with doing it this way, it allows you to setup combos. For example, Your mage casts a damage buff on your warrior, another character does a debuff on the enemy, then your warrior attacks. It's a higher level of control and removes the randomness and allows you to build combos. My guess, is that is what they are going for. The idea seems to fit with Bard's Tale, but it's definitely a slightly different combat style when the randomness of combat is removed.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » June 4th, 2015, 1:22 am

Backed it course Day I & II-Backers get that additional Wasteland II-GameKey and I know several folks that still haven´t bought Wasteland II so far whilst being interested in that type of game!
Liked the style of the pitch, one might say you´re doing the exact same pitch for the third time but in my eyes you are doing well each time and bringing in new ideas as well!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 4th, 2015, 6:25 am

Lucius wrote:The thing with doing it this way, it allows you to setup combos. For example, Your mage casts a damage buff on your warrior, another character does a debuff on the enemy, then your warrior attacks. It's a higher level of control and removes the randomness and allows you to build combos. My guess, is that is what they are going for. The idea seems to fit with Bard's Tale, but it's definitely a slightly different combat style when the randomness of combat is removed.
Ok let's see the tradeoff...

By queuing your party's actions all together then committing them at one prompt, you can go back and make corrections, you can plan combos - but you have to think at least one round ahead for combos unless you cross your fingers that actions play out in the order you want - because the characters' actions' orders are carried out by dexterity, not your explicit order; And they are mixed in with the enemies' actions based on their dexterity.
By doing individual characters' actions live (we don't know yet if you do them in order or can choose which character goes first), you do have added flexibility in deciding to carry out combos in the proper order (charA buffs a weapon, then charB attacks with it), but unless they allow queueing (which takes us back to the previous option, really), you have to do your commands right the first time. And the combat results aren't intermingled as with the previous option.

I think what you said about combos can be allieviated if the command order is done in the classic way, but you can choose the order your characters attack. Realistically, this means that a character's action you place behind a slower character will have to wait before they can carry it out. But in that way, you can strategize your party's attack, make corrections if you want, and when you hit go, the entire combat plays out just like the classics - only you've gained control of the order you want your characters to take action (well, really only delaying faster characters if they have to wait for another character's action), instead of relying entirely on the pseudo-random dexterity dice roll :P

Who knows.
Any input inXile can get about the combat system I'm sure will be invaluable to them!
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Roger Wilco
Scholar

Post by Roger Wilco » June 4th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Question I hadn't thought about until now...

If I get the premier collectors edition, does that mean I don't get an Album box?

Because I think I'd really miss out on an album for my collection, but it seems silly that I would need to downgrade my pledge to get it.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 4th, 2015, 1:08 pm

Roger Wilco wrote:Question I hadn't thought about until now...
If I get the premier collectors edition, does that mean I don't get an Album box?
Because I think I'd really miss out on an album for my collection, but it seems silly that I would need to downgrade my pledge to get it.
It seems to be that way for a lot of things. I would hang in there until we see how the add-ons are going to work. Like maybe you can get the game for $27 (or $105 for the collector's box) and then add the album box for another $30, something like that.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » June 4th, 2015, 6:58 pm

I just noticed the addons that are available. Who will be writing the novellas?

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 4th, 2015, 6:58 pm

1.000.000 $

Lustler
Initiate

Post by Lustler » June 5th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Think I'll wait a year or so till it's on PS4. Then I wont have to pay for it twice like Wasteland, but thanks.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 5th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Lustler wrote:Think I'll wait a year or so till it's on PS4. Then I wont have to pay for it twice like Wasteland, but thanks.
Lol consoles
Matthias did nothing wrong!

terrmathor
Novice

Post by terrmathor » June 6th, 2015, 2:29 pm

Hi there,

Just backed this up, for the first time in KS !

Can't go wrong, with Brian Fargo in charge. So much fun with Stone Keep, Baldur's gate I and II, and friends.
If that's the only way to have our dearest CRPGs back, outside of idiotic publishers, then, let it be !

Nimrod7
Initiate

Post by Nimrod7 » June 7th, 2015, 1:38 am

Hi all,

I would like to ask:

THE TORMENTED BARD tier mentions "digital version" for BT4 and Torment.
Is it a choice between Steam and GOG for both games? Like the smaller tiers ?

Thanks.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 7th, 2015, 1:45 am

The Bard's Tale IV will be provided to backers on Steam and GOG.com upon final release.

Wasteland 2 will be available once the Kickstarter campaign is completed. You will have your choice of Steam or GOG.com, and it comes with the Classic Edition extras.

Torment: Tides of Numenera will be made available once it is released. You will have a choice of Steam or GOG.com.

For the 48 hour bonus game offer: The Witcher and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings are available for GOG.com only. Wasteland 2 will be available for your choice of Steam or GOG.com, and it comes with the Classic Edition extras. You may pick one of the three games. These bonus games cannot be exchanged for other rewards or pledge credit.

All game keys will be distributed through our The Bard's Tale IV backer web site, contingent on the Kickstarter campaign being funded.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... faq_137115

Nimrod7
Initiate

Post by Nimrod7 » June 7th, 2015, 6:33 am

Thanks Tets. I appreciate that.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 7th, 2015, 7:22 am

no problem

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 7th, 2015, 8:55 am

25.000 backers

sear
Developer

Post by sear » June 7th, 2015, 9:58 am

Looks like someone noticed the new FAQ, you guys are fast. ;)

citizen_x
Novice

Post by citizen_x » June 8th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Maybe i missed it, any info about DRM/physical copies ? Also, well, the question may seem stupid, buuut, will the game ship finished ? ...
Maybe its too early to ask this sorta technical questions.I really hate steam, gog is kinda better, but still, nothing beats just installing the game and playing.And last time i played this sorta game was probably with might and magic series, ishar, black crypt and other amiga games :) .Anyhow, good luck to inxile.

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » June 8th, 2015, 8:35 pm

citizen_x wrote:Maybe i missed it, any info about DRM/physical copies ? Also, well, the question may seem stupid, buuut, will the game ship finished ? ...
Maybe its too early to ask this sorta technical questions.I really hate steam, gog is kinda better, but still, nothing beats just installing the game and playing.And last time i played this sorta game was probably with might and magic series, ishar, black crypt and other amiga games :) .Anyhow, good luck to inxile.
The rewards tiers seem pretty clear that physical copies will be created, and the promise is to provide the game DRM-free on GOG.com.
It would be a nice touch to promise the Steam copy also DRM-free (totally doable, just don't make the game require the steamworks interface), but that's nitpicking. Also if you talk about DRM-free Steam copies, the message will be diluted as people argue about whether that is possible and so forth.

As for whether the game will ship finished, I'm not sure what's being asked here. If serious problems occur between now and the completion of the project, it might ship unfinished, no matter what is said in the context of the Kickstarter. If Wasteland 2 is anything to go by, the game will be shipped in a reasonable state, and then will receive updates as necessary afterwards to flesh the game out and fix sharp edges.