The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is NOW LIVE!

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to Bard's Tale IV. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

sear
Developer

The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is NOW LIVE!

Post by sear » June 2nd, 2015, 6:47 am

dorkboy
Master

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is NOW LIVE!

Post by dorkboy » June 2nd, 2015, 6:54 am

gl hf! :)
marmelade & jam

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » June 2nd, 2015, 6:57 am

I hate to be a downer, but the pitch video is really wank. There's not nearly enough information about the actual game. I know its all written on the KS page, but you guys are trying to sell this thing to the moving cats generation.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » June 2nd, 2015, 7:02 am

Linux support from the get go? Now that’s something I fully support!
A shame I’m kind of broke these days, let’s hope I’ll manage to put some money in there before the funding period end.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » June 2nd, 2015, 7:03 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:I hate to be a downer, but the pitch video is really wank. There's not nearly enough information about the actual game. I know its all written on the KS page, but you guys are trying to sell this thing to the moving cats generation.
The campaign isn't over yet... ;)

Zeriel
Initiate

Post by Zeriel » June 2nd, 2015, 7:07 am

sear wrote:
IHaveHugeNick wrote:I hate to be a downer, but the pitch video is really wank. There's not nearly enough information about the actual game. I know its all written on the KS page, but you guys are trying to sell this thing to the moving cats generation.
Doesn't the original video typically stay there, though?

I concur, the video is pretty bad for getting you interested in the game vs the rest of the Kickstarter page which is excellent, with really nice art and plenty of juicy info.

I'm a pretty intense grognard, though, maybe for some people seeing Brian's face is more important than more of a focus on the game. I feel like we've had this debate before.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » June 2nd, 2015, 7:10 am

sear wrote:
That's good to hear because honestly the whole thing is reaaaally light on REAL info.

The item inspection video is awesome though. I seriously hope every item can be inspected like that. Loot being potentially puzzles in themselves, actual physical puzzles like that, is a very cool concept.

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » June 2nd, 2015, 7:12 am

Unfortunately the kickstarter is unreasonably vague. I've never seen a game kickstarter with this little clarity on what style of game is being planned. Sitting out for now.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » June 2nd, 2015, 7:27 am

sear wrote:
I get that you're hiding some info for later to keep the hype going (I doubt that 4 second video with the flaming dungeon is all the footage), but there's really barely any information in the pitch about what type of game this is. I played BT, so that's not a problem for me, but currently top upvoted post on reddit is from a dude who doesn't know what game this is, so...
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

pseudonymous
Scholar

Post by pseudonymous » June 2nd, 2015, 8:25 am

You guys really need more payment options than Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. Amazon Payments, Paypal, etc. should be options.

jjavier
Initiate

Post by jjavier » June 2nd, 2015, 8:37 am

Somebody knows which is the difference between the "Early Bard Gets The Wyrm" tier and "Downloadable Copy - The Bard's Tale IV" tier.
And please don't say U$D 7.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » June 2nd, 2015, 8:45 am

jjavier wrote:Somebody knows which is the difference between the "Early Bard Gets The Wyrm" tier and "Downloadable Copy - The Bard's Tale IV" tier.
And please don't say U$D 7.
The Early Bard tier is limited, only 15,000 backers at that level but the higher one is unlimited backers for later backers.

SuAside
Global Moderator
Location: MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Working Out the Suprisingly Obvious

Post by SuAside » June 2nd, 2015, 9:07 am

Off to a good start. Hopefully more info to follow, of course.
"Reason is always a kind of brute force; those who appeal to the head rather than the heart, however pallid and polite, are necessarily men of violence. We speak of touching a man's heart, but we can do nothing to his head but hit it."

sear
Developer

Post by sear » June 2nd, 2015, 9:18 am

pseudonymous wrote:You guys really need more payment options than Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. Amazon Payments, Paypal, etc. should be options.
We will be rolling out alternative pledge options later on, including PayPal. Please be patient! We will alert everyone when this is available.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 2nd, 2015, 9:22 am

I managed to view the page when there were 0 backers -- then I hurriedly examined the tiers around what I had planned, checking for any updates. My backing went in as #107. Man it's climbing fast!
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Roger Wilco
Scholar

Post by Roger Wilco » June 2nd, 2015, 10:15 am

I backed at the Premier Collector's Ed level, but I do feel the pitch video was lacking in details compared to both WL2 and Torment. I was going to back no matter what, of course, but I was really looking forward to finding out a little more about what you guys had planned for Bard's Tale today. Instead, I feel the pitch video told us less about what you have planned than we already knew coming into today.

Priest4hire
Explorer

Post by Priest4hire » June 2nd, 2015, 10:21 am

I hate to be that guy, but I was reading the Kickstarter page and came across this description of combat:
Combat is resolved in a phase-based manner, meaning your entire party takes its turn, and then all enemies take theirs. In the original trilogy, you’d make all of the decisions at once and only then see the results. For The Bard’s Tale IV, we want a more dynamic experience: as soon as you decide what a character will do, they immediately act. This is the first way in which battles dynamically change, as your rolls and effects can have a variety of outcomes which might make you rethink your next action.
That's not phased combat; that's vanilla turn-based. A quick check of The Bard's Tale revealed that indeed, turns are determined by some type of initiative and it most certainly is not the case that the entire party goes and then the monsters go. Phased means both sides go at the same time. And if characters act immediately, then it's definitely not phased, dynamic or otherwise.

I'm not sure if they simply didn't understand the original The Bard's Tale combat system, are misrepresenting it or simply don't grok what phased combat is. Or perhaps they just figure most modern gamers won't know the difference. But if they want to do away with the phased combat of the original, why not just say so? Turn-based is not a dirty word.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » June 2nd, 2015, 10:31 am

i never played Bards tale so im not sure if its something i like.

but what the hell InXile has done a great project and the other one i backed looks great so far.

while im not sure if its somethign for me i backed it just to support the general idea i hope it will be great :)

although youll have to live with a smaller pledge from me.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » June 2nd, 2015, 10:33 am

Priest4hire wrote:I hate to be that guy, but I was reading the Kickstarter page and came across this description of combat:
Combat is resolved in a phase-based manner, meaning your entire party takes its turn, and then all enemies take theirs. In the original trilogy, you’d make all of the decisions at once and only then see the results. For The Bard’s Tale IV, we want a more dynamic experience: as soon as you decide what a character will do, they immediately act. This is the first way in which battles dynamically change, as your rolls and effects can have a variety of outcomes which might make you rethink your next action.
That's not phased combat; that's vanilla turn-based. A quick check of The Bard's Tale revealed that indeed, turns are determined by some type of initiative and it most certainly is not the case that the entire party goes and then the monsters go. Phased means both sides go at the same time. And if characters act immediately, then it's definitely not phased, dynamic or otherwise.

I'm not sure if they simply didn't understand the original The Bard's Tale combat system, are misrepresenting it or simply don't grok what phased combat is. Or perhaps they just figure most modern gamers won't know the difference. But if they want to do away with the phased combat of the original, why not just say so? Turn-based is not a dirty word.
I noticed that too and I agree, that's not phase based. I think they are going the XCOM route, which is just we-go-you-go turn based. Definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I was thinking queue up actions with some kind of interrupts.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » June 2nd, 2015, 11:40 am

Mhm, sounds more like fluid TB (or whatever you want to call it) than Phase Based to me, as well.
marmelade & jam