Bard's Tale IV External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Bard's Tale IV External News Thread

Post by thebruce » July 14th, 2018, 9:41 am

Drool wrote:
July 14th, 2018, 9:19 am
thebruce wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Yes! Up until that bold... whyyyyyy do people NOT understand that grid-based environments and navigation are not out-of-date relics from the past, and that free movement is not an "innovation"? C'mon son!
I'm wagering most "online games journalists" are under 30. And they probably grew up with console games, not PC (or pre-PC). To them, these things are relics of the past, but they didn't grow up with them. Couple that with the fact that a depressing number of "online games journalists" are really, really bad at games, well, the rest becomes clear.
Indeed. Which is why I'm trying to bite my tongue whenever I hear "modern" and assume it's merely a reference to time and not relative quality. :P But that was the reason for the 'revival', yes? They revived some mechanics, swished and mixed'em around with some other recent trendy mechanics, but did they revive the spirit of Bard's Tale? ... YMMV.

Also... per my above quoted comment, I'd certainly still say that "grid-based environments and navigation are not out-of-date relics from the past, and that free movement is not an 'innovation'", not even for sub-30 youngin's... such games exist today. :(
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » July 14th, 2018, 7:41 pm

One doesn't have to grow up with a [pipe-wrench, or a manual can-opener] to understand its functionality; it's silly for them to call it a relic. It works fine, and the same as it ever did for the task it was designed for. Grid-based play is the same; its a method of interaction with a different intent than free move. It's not archaic, it's more like Metric & Imperial, one does not supersede the other.

Grid based allows for greater deduction, and stylized interpretation (or at least the potential for those... There has to be willing and understanding developers that implement for it, of course).

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 15th, 2018, 9:14 am

Gizmo wrote:
July 14th, 2018, 7:41 pm
One doesn't have to grow up with a [pipe-wrench, or a manual can-opener] to understand its functionality; it's silly for them to call it a relic.
But that's what a relic is. It's something from an earlier era that is no longer used or relevant. A mangle will still press your clothes, but it's still a relic of the past.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » July 15th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Drool wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 9:14 am
Gizmo wrote:
July 14th, 2018, 7:41 pm
One doesn't have to grow up with a [pipe-wrench, or a manual can-opener] to understand its functionality; it's silly for them to call it a relic.
But that's what a relic is. It's something from an earlier era that is no longer used or relevant. A mangle will still press your clothes, but it's still a relic of the past.
Not when you can buy them brand new. That's not what this is. A Chess set is not a relic—unless its an antique... but even then, it isn't really.

*Also... A manual can opener (for instance), does not rely on 110/240 volt power to use it. Different tools for different situations. A new set of camping gear will likely have a new can opener, lantern, and stove... just like a set from the 1950's. It doesn't matter when or how long ago they were invented, they serve the unchanged purpose. BT4 is not (and never was supposed to be) competing with Farcry and Skyrim.

A game only needs certain features (like free-move) if it's integral to the experience, or mechanics; not needing something does not make it a relic. Some people call things relics when they personally haven't (or cannot see) a need for it.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 17th, 2018, 7:44 am

Here's the original game review article from RockPaperShotgun, who also created a video review that was re-shared, and which I think felt much more positive than the article which wasn't (that I can find).

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... -dungeons/
@thebruce0

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » July 17th, 2018, 10:04 am

I’ll be frank: The Bard’s Tale IV looks like what I’d expect to see if I found a DVD-ROM from 2005 with ‘Legend of Fantasy: Mages & Goblins’ scrawled on it. My every instinct, after the first few minutes with it, was to run screaming from its Bratz doll faces and onslaught of fol-de-rol.
That's what surprises me the most right now: after years of talking up the AAA-like graphics on Kickstarter, Twitter, Facebook etc., I thought they seemed pretty confident in the visual quality of their game. But the beta looks like a game where the graphics were only a low priority, to put it kindly. Is this another case of Inxile making a drastic change of plans?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 17th, 2018, 10:21 am

Personally, I'm really not invested in the graphics so much as the gameplay. Shiny graphics are nice (and jarring graphics should be avoided), but I'm pretty meh about general quality.
I don't think inXile ever said that top notch graphics were a priority. Oh they played up the gorgeous environments and the engine use and all that, but I never got the impression that it was a top priority for BT4. I think a sentiment like the above can be chalked up to a limbo position; if it's unclear whether you tried and failed, or weren't trying in the first place.
ie, if you try to be AAA it's a lot more likely you'll be judged by comparison saying you failed, than if you know you're producing something smaller scale, with less fidelity, to focus on other aspects. I think people who believe BT4 would be in the realm of high-end/ground-breaking graphics are going to be much more critical of the graphical content.

Buuut... I've seen comments about artistic content as well, which isn't so much graphical quality as it is creative consistency across assets and environment and whatnot.
@thebruce0

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » July 17th, 2018, 1:53 pm

thebruce wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 10:21 am

Buuut... I've seen comments about artistic content as well, which isn't so much graphical quality as it is creative consistency across assets and environment and whatnot.
This. All humanoids look somehow twisted, like they have a bone deforming disease.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 17th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Grohal wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 1:53 pm
This. All humanoids look somehow twisted, like they have a bone deforming disease.
The rest looks pretty good, though.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » July 17th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Drool wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 2:14 pm
Grohal wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 1:53 pm
The rest looks pretty good, though.
That is also right yes.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » July 23rd, 2018, 1:40 pm

VentureBeat with a nice look at how the original Bard's Tale box art came to life for the sequel: https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/22/the- ... nic-scene/

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 3rd, 2018, 11:02 am

https://www.windowscentral.com/most-ant ... 2-and-more

Was it actually confirmed yet that the game was going to consoles? Maybe I'm forgetting. Mind is drawing blank. The last mention of this was mid-July from a Eurogamer article that was quoted. Now it's in this article too. Was there an official announcement? I should know this :P
@thebruce0

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » August 3rd, 2018, 12:12 pm

thebruce wrote:
August 3rd, 2018, 11:02 am
https://www.windowscentral.com/most-ant ... 2-and-more

Was it actually confirmed yet that the game was going to consoles? Maybe I'm forgetting. Mind is drawing blank. The last mention of this was mid-July from a Eurogamer article that was quoted. Now it's in this article too. Was there an official announcement? I should know this :P
We announced in June 2017 that console versions would be coming and specified which last month, at the same time the beta released, which may be why it snuck in under your radar.

D-D
Acolyte

Post by D-D » August 22nd, 2018, 11:51 am

New interview with Brian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQCnFogEapA

Strange atmosphere between the guys, a little different from other interviews.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

Well, gotta admit, it was kind of an awkward start to the interview :P

I think the interviewer knows the classics (Germans loved BT!), and may also have been trying to ask difficult questions in a positive way; try to produce an informative, cordial interview looking at the game while maybe trying to eek out comments skirting the edge of comparison to the original trilogy :P

But it did seem like a relatively rough interview overall...
@thebruce0

Zortok
Novice

Post by Zortok » August 22nd, 2018, 4:00 pm

thebruce wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm
Well, gotta admit, it was kind of an awkward start to the interview :P

I think the interviewer knows the classics (Germans loved BT!), and may also have been trying to ask difficult questions in a positive way; try to produce an informative, cordial interview looking at the game while maybe trying to eek out comments skirting the edge of comparison to the original trilogy :P

But it did seem like a relatively rough interview overall...
Additionally Brian's comments support community feedback that Skara Brae Below should not be rotated 90 degrees

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » August 22nd, 2018, 4:28 pm

Drool wrote:
July 14th, 2018, 9:19 am
Couple that with the fact that a depressing number of "online games journalists" are really, really bad at games, well, the rest becomes clear.
Eventually, they'll get better as more and more eSporters retire but want to "stay in the game". ;)

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » August 22nd, 2018, 8:15 pm

https://youtu.be/FQCnFogEapA?t=240
Brian Fargo wrote: Who was the third one? Uhhh... I forget his name. It will come to me.
:o
The priests of the Mad God's temple would call Brian an infidel.
cmibl<enter>

Zortok
Novice

Post by Zortok » August 24th, 2018, 11:10 pm

IGN: The Bard's Tale 4: Barrows Deep Developer Overview - Gamescom 2018
https://youtu.be/lBM2sBq9gQY

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » August 25th, 2018, 2:57 am

Zortok wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 11:10 pm
IGN: The Bard's Tale 4: Barrows Deep Developer Overview - Gamescom 2018
https://youtu.be/lBM2sBq9gQY
Q: What connects this game to the original BT?
A: The original BT happened in the town of Skara Brae. It's in Scotland. It's a hundred years after the last BT and we're a bunch of adventurers, spellcasters and dwarves and we're persecuted for all the horrible things happening. By, the way they bring a lot of the spell names, songs and characters from the classics too. :roll:

Brian says, the closest comparison in terms of combat is Darkest Dungeon. Great, does that mean we'll have random enounters, permadeath, highly irregular damage ranges, to hit rolls, stress damage, different bonuses/penalties based on light conditions, camping buffs, etc? Or does it mean they are hoping for extra sales: Darkest Dungeon, which actually feels like a game from the 90's, sold more than all of InXile's games combined. Perhaps if they actually made a game based on the classics, he could honestly compare it to DD, but as it is, it's way too obvious what they're aiming for.

Later, he says the combat is hard to compare to anything. It's a little bit like Magic, a little bit like Hearthstone, Darkest Dungeon. Any game that has million+ sales. No point in mentioning Amberstar, Elminage and Lords of Xulima, because no one heard of those. Which it is absolutely not like: Bard's Tale.