Bard's Tale IV External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Lucius
Master

Re: Bard's Tale IV External News Thread

Post by Lucius » May 21st, 2015, 1:44 pm

Drool wrote: And, if I'm not mistaken, way in the background there, you've got a magic mouth!
Regarding the magic mouth, I'd say you are correct. What is a magic mouth though? I assume it's a talking door that gives you a riddle or something to solve before you can pass? Something akin to the Fable series' demon doors?

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 21st, 2015, 2:20 pm

Lucius wrote:
Drool wrote:And, if I'm not mistaken, way in the background there, you've got a magic mouth!
Regarding the magic mouth, I'd say you are correct. What is a magic mouth though? I assume it's a talking door that gives you a riddle or something to solve before you can pass? Something akin to the Fable series' demon doors?
It originated (at least, the first time I ever heard of it) as a D&D spell, basically an answering machine message that you could set to magically appear and tell people something (e.g. "GO BACK, ONLY DOOM AWAITS YOU HERE").

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 21st, 2015, 7:22 pm

There is a Magic Mouth in the first room of the first dungeon in Bard's Tale 2.

There are several in Eye of the Beholder 2.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 22nd, 2015, 2:00 pm

They generally weren't on doors, but walls. Also, they served a couple purposes. Some would give you hints about the upcoming dungeon, some would give you riddles that you had to answer to progress, and sometimes they would just give you lore. Generally, though, they gave hints, which sort of made them magical graffiti.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 22nd, 2015, 10:08 pm

Did they ever lie?
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 23rd, 2015, 4:49 am

I don't believe so, no.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » June 1st, 2015, 7:11 am

Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » June 1st, 2015, 9:11 am

Bah! Already own all 3. Free PoE would have been awesome.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » June 2nd, 2015, 3:33 am

DOH!.... me too...
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 4th, 2015, 6:47 pm

Sxerks
Global Moderator

Post by Sxerks » June 10th, 2015, 7:50 pm

More along the lines of external info then news, but related to the series:

The Bard's Tale Wiki - covers the original 3 and the upcoming one, since 2009

GOG forum for the series

The Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown - gamefaq for the pc version
The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight - gamefaq for the pc version
The Bard's Tale 3: The Thief of Fate - gamefaq for the pc version

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 11th, 2015, 6:59 am

Well if you're also linking non-news-focused resource sites that are BT-related, then I'll have to add
Bard's Tale Online (& on FB and TW)
And also Bard's Tale Compendium.

But back to external news... :P
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

sear
Developer

Post by sear » June 28th, 2015, 7:18 am

Matt Barton did a great 45-minute episode with Brian about The Bard's Tale IV. Lots of good info and thoughts in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9V4IcKj7Ts

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 28th, 2015, 7:45 am

sear wrote:Matt Barton did a great 45-minute episode with Brian about The Bard's Tale IV. Lots of good info and thoughts in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9V4IcKj7Ts
8-)

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » June 28th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Brian Fargo wrote:Combat is gonna be, uhh, you know, party based and you know, and and and phase based, so you know there's a lot of dynamics, with what we can do and we want to spend a lot of time figuring out how the characters interact, how they buff each other and how things can happen. So, this before, in the first games, you know was attack, attack, attack, defend, then return. I think that you should interact more with that. You know, my mage casts a spell (and i'll make up an example that is perhaps a poor one), but it bounces back and hits him you know, and he takes damage. Well now my player in slot 2 who was going to attack looks at my mage who's injured, so i better heal now, so that you chain stuff that's based upon as you go down the line, or go in any order you want...
Brian Fargo (Matt Chat 297)

Sounds like a healthy mix of Might & Magic X and Hearthstone, besides revealing that they have absolutely no idea yet, how combat will work. One thing we learned though, that it won't be reminiscent of Bard's Tale 1-3 combat at all.

They're also working out stretch goals as they speak and the one for "combat camera pull-back" will be up there. Hmm, unfortunately i can't degrade my pledge, given that i'm already sitting @ $20. :)

Matt also forgot to ask a rather burning question: What's the idea behind allowing only 4 player characters and are there any plans to increase it?
Not too late; Make it 8!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 28th, 2015, 3:34 pm

ZiN wrote:besides revealing that they have absolutely no idea yet, how combat will work.
To be expected. This is essentially the pre-preproduction phase. At this point in WL2, we didn't even know what engine the game would use. I pretty much figure they're only a little beyond the brainstorming phase, and haven't yet moved to rough outline. I see some of this as seeing which flag people will salute and getting a feel for what will and won't work and what's affordable.

That being said, I'm'a gonna keep beating the NTLMI8 drum as hard as I can.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » June 28th, 2015, 4:13 pm

i would really like to see combat mechanics like magic: the gathering in a game. but i dont know how this could be achived... warriors etc. could be cratures with abilities.. clerics, magicians etc. could (also) cast global and targeted enchantments, sorceries and instants.. would be great..

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » June 29th, 2015, 1:56 am

ZiN wrote: Matt also forgot to ask a rather burning question: What's the idea behind allowing only 4 player characters and are there any plans to increase it?
Not too late; Make it 8!
'Forgot'.

Tellingly on the Matt Chat, Brian referenced the idea that character based RPG's like Torment, Baldurs etc were getting more backers because (aside from being more recent) they had more memorable characters with people remembering Morte, Minsc and able to reminice with other players whereas no-one will share your memories of your fully unique PC party in BT1.

This seems to me to be shaping a lot of the thinking behind 4 PC's and more CPC's in BT4... and to reference a popular MEME: son, I am disappoint.

I might be able to talk to people on forums about Morte, Minsc etc but I have much, much fonder memories of BT1-3 and Wiz 6-8 overall because MY TEAM beat the games.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » June 29th, 2015, 5:15 am

Themadcow wrote: 'Forgot'.

Tellingly on the Matt Chat, Brian referenced the idea that character based RPG's like Torment, Baldurs etc were getting more backers because (aside from being more recent) they had more memorable characters with people remembering Morte, Minsc and able to reminice with other players whereas no-one will share your memories of your fully unique PC party in BT1.
Apologies for straying off Bard's Tale news, but why the hell wasn't this idea applied to Wasteland 2?

I was looking forward to running into some of my old favorites like Covenant, Christina, Metal Maniac and Mad Dog Fargo. Instead I got Snake Vargas, Angela Deth, Hell Razor and Thrasher who basically got the DELETE button at the beginning of every game.

Heck, inXile's initial idea for "memorable characters" from Wasteland was to put each and every one of them on a tombstone.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 29th, 2015, 5:21 am

I don't see how Covenant, Christina, Metal Maniac and Mad Dog Fargo would be any more "memorable" than Angela, Rose and Scotchmo. I mean the CNPC's in WL1 had like no dialogue at all except. Personally I would have rather have the option to make 7 characters at the beginning and ignore the CNPC's completely, all they accomplish is to mess up the skill build of your party because you don't know what skills any of them will have at the beginning of the game.
Matthias did nothing wrong!